Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Greenways

Renewable energies, sustainability, recycling and everything in between
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Greenways

Post by Del.Monte »

Genuine question, are there any long distance walking trails left in Ireland - not ones up mountains but on the level along rivers, canals old railway routes etc.? As far as I can ascertain anything resembling a footpath is being tarred/concreted over to facilitate the cycling lobby.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Re: Greenways

Post by Hairy-Joe »

The Barrow Way is a nice 110km walk. It's an unpaved path along the river Barrow going from St Mullans in Carlow up to Kildare. I've cycled most of it on a mountain bike and a ba$tard hybrid/cyclecross bike.

It's been a few years since I've been there but some of the Royal canal in Longford from the Longford Spur towards Ballymahon was unpaved as well as the Grand Canal from Ferbane to Shannon Harbour.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

A handy resource is the Waterways Ireland website. It has loads of info about the tow paths along the rivers and canals.
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

You could get this map which lists most of them.
https://threerockbooks.com/product/the- ... lding-map/
You need to have the relevant OSI Discovery series map for your chosen walk because the linked map above doesn't show much more than coloured lines in space but it is still useful for selecting an adventure.

St. Declan's Way is recent enough. It didn't quite make it to that map. It's a bit hilly but not excessive. There is a website.
Calahonda52
Verified Username

Post by Calahonda52 »

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0215/13567 ... -greenway/
Wonder about the anti-social stuff and good gear being robbed