Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Greta Thunberg

Renewable energies, sustainability, recycling and everything in between
GubuOriginal

Re: Greta Thunberg

Post by GubuOriginal »

The Continental Op wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:20 am Bollocks. My son has Aspergers and is the only actual diagnosis in the family however, I, my father and grandfather have/had exactly the same symptoms. 50 years ago the only diagnosis I got was for dyslexia.

For years in Ireland the one thing you weren't allowed to do, or want to be, is to be different, so parents tried to cover up and ignore functioning Autism because they didn't want to give their child a label.
You are calling an experts opinion (and presumably the opinion of others in the field) bollox based of your own personal experience growing up in Ireland, including a self diagnosis?

Post by 490808 »

GubuOriginal wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:06 am You are calling an experts opinion (and presumably the opinion of others in the field) bollox based of your own personal experience growing up in Ireland, including a self diagnosis?
I'm drawing on my own experience having attended Aspire conferences, psychiatrists meetings, psychotherapy sessions, clinics, parents discussion groups and meeting their children along with helping other parents get a diagnosis.

I don't say I have a diagnosis because I don't have a piece of paper that says I'm on the autistic spectrum I do have the assurance of several medical doctors, psychiatrists and social workers that I'd have no problem getting a diagnosis if I needed one.

There are just so many other reasons I can think of for an increase in the number of diagnoses for ASD. One which is particularly pertinent in Ireland is historically the community was a community and a lot of it rural. Move someone with Autism from a rural area to a city and they become far more obvious. The only possible reason I can think of for an actual increase is summed up here Are Geeky Couples More Likely to Have Kids with Autism? (pdf).
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

My ex.wife maintains that I was somewhere on the Asperger's spectrum in an era when they didn't have a name for it - sure I was a railway enthusiast for years - need I say more? I definitely have many symptoms of OCD but I'm happy enough with them. Anyway, while all this is all fascinating it is taking the thread way off topic.

In my opinion , Greta Thunberg's message is right but it's very difficult to see where we go from here. Most politicians in Ireland and elsewhere have no long term vision beyond getting re-elected and I can't see them making the sweeping changes that are needed to turn things round. Perhaps people should be barred from standing for election once they hit their mid '30s?
'no more blah blah blah'
GubuOriginal

Post by GubuOriginal »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:20 pm My ex.wife maintains that I was somewhere on the Asperger's spectrum in an era when they didn't have a name for it - sure I was a railway enthusiast for years - need I say more? I definitely have many symptoms of OCD but I'm happy enough with them. Anyway, while all this is all fascinating it is taking the thread way off topic.

In my opinion , Greta Thunberg's message is right but it's very difficult to see where we go from here. Most politicians in Ireland and elsewhere have no long term vision beyond getting re-elected and I can't see them making the sweeping changes that are needed to turn things round. Perhaps people should be barred from standing for election once they hit their mid '30s?
Hasn't this been the problem for ages now, the' where do we go from here' part? This is my point, we don't need more activists, but more 'doers'. It'd be far better if youngsters were looking up to the Dutch lad I posted about earlier whose made -(or at least made a very good attempt) at real change, as opposed to someone who berates others incessantly.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

in some cases, she said, her neurodiversity gives her an advantage. It "makes you different and makes you think differently," she said. "Especially in a big crisis like this one, we need to think outside the box, we need to think outside our current system, we need people who think outside the box and who aren't like everyone else.
Sure happy to accept Greta is not like everyone else. But does she really think outside the box? She’s effective at highlighting that politicians are all talk, and no trousers, but that’s not really thinking outside the box.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Greta is still fighting the good fight - go girl!

https://inews.co.uk/news/greta-thunberg ... 66?ITO=msn

Greta Thunberg has been detained by police during an anti-coal mine demonstration in Germany.

The Swedish environmental activist has been taking part in protests in the village of Luetzerath, in the north-east of the country, which is being cleared to make way for the expansion of a coal mine near by.

Riot police backed by bulldozers removed activists from buildings in the village with only a few left in trees and an underground tunnel by last weekend, but protesters including Ms Thunberg remained at the site staging a sit-in into Tuesday.....
'no more blah blah blah'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Annoying petulant whiny mare
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

Her parents have her brain washed and doing the loopy work for them.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:12 pm Her parents have her brain washed and doing the loopy work for them.
Very incisive comment, you're obviously very concerned about the environment or did you learn about Greta from Trump or some other dope.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:55 pm Annoying petulant whiny mare
Yes, awful for a young person to be an activist instead of being a gamer.
'no more blah blah blah'
Jack The Stripper

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:19 pm Very incisive comment, you're obviously very concerned about the environment or did you learn about Greta from Trump or some other dope.
Care to offer your opinion on her? How have you made that incisive conclusion on my concerns about the environment? You are misreading, steady your compass.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:21 pm Yes, awful for a young person to be an activist instead of being a gamer.
Well, no.
I know a couple of young environmental activists.
They are pleasant and committed people.
They're not full of hate nor did they ever engage in selective mutism.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:03 pm Well, no.
I know a couple of young environmental activists.
They are pleasant and committed people.
They're not full of hate nor did they ever engage in selective mutism.
Selective mutism - I had to look that one up: https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/condit ... ve-mutism/ and from my reading it is not something that one engages in by deciding to - it's a condition. Anyway, the world is full of pleasant, committed environmentalists but their time is past. I'm not in favour of pissing people off by blocking traffic, or attacking paintings but pretty well everything else goes. Greta is not full of hate, anger, yes and good reason to be too and I would be out taking part in things if I was twenty years younger but my activist days are over and the keyboard is now my only weapon.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:56 pm Care to offer your opinion on her? How have you made that incisive conclusion on my concerns about the environment? You are misreading, steady your compass.
I have immense admiration for her and that should be obvious from the thread but your comment about her being brainwashed tells me everything that I need to know about your concern for the environment.
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

As a person I don't have such strong feeling in any direction about her, but as a symbol of a movement I have thoughts. In a way I feel sorry for her. Her lack of privacy. Her loneliness. Her obvious upset.

The movement of which she is a figurehead is in my view a nihilistic, almost millenarian, movement. It has encouraged widespread existential despair, depression, panic, anti-natalism, especially among the young, and I find that hard to forgive.

Back in the day there were concerns, rightly so, about the ozone layer, just as there are concerns now, rightly so, about environmental degradation, species loss, and anthropogenic contribution to climate change.
But instead of applying human ingenuity to the issues, as we did with the ozone layer, and successfully wrestling with the problems, we are absolutely bombarded now with a religious fervour about how there are 8 years to go, or 12 years to D Day, or by 2030/2050 this or that will be in ruins etc.

Which actually paralyses people. Creates apathy. Hopelessness etc. None of which is conducive to creativity, ingeniousness etc. Which is what we need. Not stupid taxes. Or carbon credits. Or WEF. Or Agenda 2030.

What the present environmental movement seem to want is utopian degrowth, communism also, which will cause insane amounts of suffering in the world, though not for the wealthy.

Greta has been elevated to an unlikely position, almost as a prophetess. And by an odd coalition of powerful people, who fly about in private jets and preach to us, the herds, about our over indulgence. It's a strange unsettling alliance. When she and the movement are inside the gates of the globalists.

I don't see how she has any qualifications for such a prominent role. Her psychological diagnosis doesn't bestow an unusual insight in her - this is also a neo-religious idea. Fair enough, let her do her environmental agitation like many before her have done - but we need actual inventors, scientists, creative people to work in a spirit of hope, enthusiasm and confidence to effect actual beneficial change on the planet.

That's what I think.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

But, but our inventors etc. are more interested in designing the latest video game, coffee delivering drone, flying car........or designing viruses in labs to kill us all.
'no more blah blah blah'
Jack The Stripper

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:43 pm I have immense admiration for her and that should be obvious from the thread but your comment about her being brainwashed tells me everything that I need to know about your concern for the environment.
My good person you couldn’t be further from the truth. I’m not insulting you and your bedroom poster idol at all. I’ll leave you to falsehoods.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:55 pm But, but our inventors etc. are more interested in designing the latest video game, coffee delivering drone, flying car........or designing viruses in labs to kill us all.
Why would you generalise this way about our Inventors and yet conversely fully enthuse about one person who has invented nothing in particular?

I have great faith in our Inventors and scientists. One of my brothers for example and one of my sons have both created actual real life products and processes which affect positive environmental changes. I know they are part of large communities of smart, positive, innovative people.

How can we possibly promote and encourage such helpful people by banging on incessantly like doomsday mendicants? We need young people to have hope and to love the world.
Jack The Stripper

isha wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:04 pm Why would you generalise this way about our Inventors and yet conversely fully enthuse about one person who has invented nothing in particular?

I have great faith in our Inventors and scientists. One of my brothers for example and one of my sons have both created actual real life products and processes which affect positive environmental changes. I know they are part of large communities of smart, positive, innovative people.

How can we possibly promote and encourage such helpful people by banging on incessantly like doomsday mendicants? We need young people to have hope and to love the world.
Running with the hare and running with the hound is in vogue at the moment.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:56 pm My good person you couldn’t be further from the truth. I’m not insulting you and your bedroom poster idol at all. I’ll leave you to falsehoods.
You really are priceless and no matter what the topic you seem unable to engage in rational debate.
'no more blah blah blah'
Jack The Stripper

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:13 pm You really are priceless and no matter what the topic you seem unable to engage in rational debate.
You are the one using a fancy word you don’t know the meaning off. That’s priceless.
Just because I don’t have the admiration for that person it’s not suiting you.
Last edited by Jack The Stripper on Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:07 pm Running with the hare and running with the hound is in vogue at the moment.
I don't understand what that means.
Jack The Stripper

isha wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:16 pm I don't understand what that means.
It’s self explanatory if you want to think about it.
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

What annoys me most about her is that she never even played international test rugby.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:14 pm You are the one using a fancy word you don’t know the meaning off. That’s priceless.
Just because I don’t have the admiration for that person it’s not suiting you.
What fancy word?
'no more blah blah blah'