Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Greta Thunberg

Renewable energies, sustainability, recycling and everything in between
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Greta Thunberg

Post by Del.Monte »

Cyclepath wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:44 pm Well I suppose what would you expect Greenpeace to say? Their arguments can also be counter argued.

https://www.energy.gov/ne/articles/3-re ... il%20fuels.

As for the amount of waste generated, modern reactors consume most of their waste. Even at current legacy technology levels, the space needed to store all of the nuclear waste currently created is infinitesimally smaller that the space required to bury worn out wind turbine blades. The land use is much much less than solar/wind too. I mean you can argue both ways but this is a long term issue and the fact that it takes longer to commission them can be offset with the much greater lifecycle of the plant. Wind energy is high maintenance - you never see the ongoing cost of ownership, maintenance, replacements etc included in their calculations for cost per megawatt.
No thoughts on what Exxon were up to or are you really convinced that the Greens are to blame for everything?
'no more blah blah blah'
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:27 pm Just taking point #2 - do you not follow the world news? What do you think has been going on in the Ukraine?
People might fight over the power plant like in Zaporizhzhia but they are not trying to destroy it. They are fighting over who controls the energy that comes out of it. Terrorism implies someone trying to destroy something, an act of terror completely different from this world news, which I do follow.

“ A nuclear accident, an accident with serious radiological consequences, is in nobody's interest."

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/un ... 023-01-16/
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

knownunknown wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:38 pm People might fight over the power plant like in Zaporizhzhia but they are not trying to destroy it. They are fighting over who controls the energy that comes out of it. Terrorism implies someone trying to destroy something, an act of terror completely different from this world news, which I do follow.

“ A nuclear accident, an accident with serious radiological consequences, is in nobody's interest."

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/un ... 023-01-16/
Who can tell what will happen in the future and as that Reuters post you linked stated - a very dangerous situation - which kind of undermines your original point that there's been no terrorist attack on a nuclear power plant.
'no more blah blah blah'
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:56 pm Who can tell what will happen in the future and as that Reuters post you linked stated - a very dangerous situation - which kind of undermines your original point that there's been no terrorist attack on a nuclear power plant.
What is the solution then? Greenpeace criticise nuclear and emphasise the need zero emissions by 2050 without offering a solution to do so. This green new deal type stuff is all pie in the sky, it’s clear it’s more anti capitalist then pro environmental.
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:30 pm No thoughts on what Exxon were up to or are you really convinced that the Greens are to blame for everything?
Exxon are evil, believe me I'm no cheerleader for oil and gas! But I can be pro nuclear and anti coal/oil. They're not mutually exclusive. I attach blame (not exclusively) to the green movement/CND for fear mongering and scuppering the nuclear power option specifically and especially in Ireland.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Have to admit I'm still dodge on the nuclear. And reading the chapter in Robert MacFarlane's book about long term storage of nuclear waste only makes me more resistant to it. Of course then the question is what else? I don't know what else right now.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Well, I think that nuclear is going to be part of future energy. It's obvious that we can't put all our eggs in one basket. We will need multiple sources. Nuclear works well running at a steady, constant pace so would be ideal for supplying the constant load. But there are some drawbacks of massive capital investment, public perception etc. Wind turbines are easy to switch on and off so are good to meet peak demands. But, if there's no wind, no turbines. Gas is needed to make up the shortfall for when the wind blows but gas plants don't respond well to being switched on and off.

All options are needed, but coal is the worst and shouldn't be used.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I watched this extended Twitter video where in an unplanned circumstance Greta seemed to volunteer to allow a posse of journalists accompany her as she walked in Davos. She seemed to have only one companion which in a way made her quite vulnerable in such a scrum.

I thought Calvin Robinson (if I have that right) was polite. I thought Ezra Klein was mostly a silly dick. The English guy with the brown flap hat was in between. And Del, you might like to hear, I found Greta much more endearing than expected. Witty. Sarcastic. Calm. I'm sure that is not what Rebel News hoped would be the takeaway, but that's what I got.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Very weird piece but I think she did well to not engage with the agenda driven 'journalists' and I use that word in the loosest sense. The moronic comments that followed the post once again highlight the cess pool that is Twitter - inhabited by people that have no lives.
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Well except for some of us, who are fabulous 💃
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

isha wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:39 pm Well except for some of us, who are fabulous 💃
I don't know how you deal with Twitter as it just like Boards except a thousand times worse.
'no more blah blah blah'
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

isha wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:09 pm

I watched this extended Twitter video where in an unplanned circumstance Greta seemed to volunteer to allow a posse of journalists accompany her as she walked in Davos. She seemed to have only one companion which in a way made her quite vulnerable in such a scrum.

I thought Calvin Robinson (if I have that right) was polite. I thought Ezra Klein was mostly a silly dick. The English guy with the brown flap hat was in between. And Del, you might like to hear, I found Greta much more endearing than expected. Witty. Sarcastic. Calm. I'm sure that is not what Rebel News hoped would be the takeaway, but that's what I got.
I thought she comes across as smug when laughing at some of those questions. Some of them were dickish but some of them deserved real answers that she was unable to provide.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The giggling/laughter may have something to do with her autism: https://www.spectrumnews.org/opinion/laugh-factory/ in any event if you ever watch your average politician walking down the street pursued by journalists it's rare that they interact unless they are well programmed Shinners. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

knownunknown wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:03 pm I thought she comes across as smug when laughing at some of those questions. Some of them were dickish but some of them deserved real answers that she was unable to provide.
In fairness she has made her speeches and they know what she thinks.

I doubt she went there on a private jet.

The questions were mostly silly, I guess that's why she ignored them or laughed. I was surprised actually at the questions - they were juvenile. It was a good opportunity to ask more serious ones. I thought the Calvin fellow came closest to being serious and she did respond to some of his. I wouldn't have given the Ezra fellow any attention either, he was silly. All his questions were"post your Ls" type set ups. (I have sometimes agreed with him on other things, eg they were good re Canadian truckers).

Anyway, I am not into her religion. I just thought she came across well in this off the cuff thing. Personally I would have a panic attack on the spot if I had to deal with that level of space invasion. 😁