Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Greta Thunberg

Renewable energies, sustainability, recycling and everything in between
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Greta Thunberg

Post by Del.Monte »

isha wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:16 pm I don't understand what that means.
The phrase is 'run with the hare and hunt with the hounds' and I don't understand it in the context it was used.
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Whatever about different opinions etc I think perhaps we can all laugh at the police trapped in the mud at the protest. Or maybe it's just me being bad 😂

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

And the sight of three burly cops carrying the diminutive figure of Greta - probably aware that their pics would go viral.
'no more blah blah blah'
mmercedes84

Post by mmercedes84 »

Oh this again .. 💤
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Environmental activism is a pretty vacuous statement, anyone who acts to protect the world around us. In this case presumably Greta is looking to have coal mines shut down, to protect the environment, but at what expense? We are entering a time of global food and energy shortage and now is not the time to be concerned about ‘environment’ when real people are starving and freezing in their homes.

If you wouldn’t accept your home being frozen then how can you allow anyone else’s to.

“Food needs to be included in climate discussion”

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2022/09/ ... connected/
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

@ knowunknown

I should think that Greta is well aware that food production/heating etc. are also critical but if global warming reaches, if it has not already, a critical level food production will collapse and keeping warm will be the least of our problems.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

mmercedes84 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:04 pm Oh this again .. 💤
What does z z z even mean - that you don't give a fig? Indifference is what has brought us to this point.
'no more blah blah blah'
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:33 pm @ knowunknown

I should think that Greta is well aware that food production/heating etc. are also critical but if global warming reaches, if it has not already, a critical level food production will collapse and keeping warm will be the least of our problems.
If it has reached a critical level already then this type of activism is only hurting people and not doing anything productive. If it hasn’t, then how far off are we and how many people need to be sacrificed to save the environment? I don’t think anybody can tell us that.
mmercedes84

Post by mmercedes84 »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:35 pm What does z z z even mean - that you don't give a fig? Indifference is what has brought us to this point.
No I don't give a flying monkeys , brought us to what point exactly.... sun goes up , sun goes down , earth keeps spinning.

If this is the point we have been brought to- looks fine where I'm sitting..(other than threads about Greta)

But as I said I don't care , this thread is popping on the feed. I'll ignore it from this post on.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

At least she is prepared to go first and not just sacrificing others like most of the rest of them.

“A spokesperson for the Aachen police force said Ms Thunberg was part of a group of protesters that “stormed” towards the edge of the mine, which officers described as “steep and extremely dangerous”.

He said: “However, she was then stopped and carried by us with this group out of the immediate danger area to establish their identity,” adding that one activist had jumped into the mine.”
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

A bit of context, from a year ago, for those who might be interested.

It's not so much about "climate change" in a simplistic way, but the wholesale destruction of a community - including their land and their homes - so that this precious carbon can be dug up and sold for the benefit of anonymous corporate shareholders somewhere.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It's odd, isn't it. For an arrest.

This is how the German police handled people protesting against lockdowns, lockdowns which we now know were disastrous for public health and likely are contributing to the extraordinary excess deaths statistics throughout Europe now.

Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

I'm pretty indifferent to all this.
Hpwever that video of the wizard, at the end.
He pushed the policeman when his foot was stuck in the mud. That could have snapped his ankle.
Scummy enough behaviour.
As regards the photo of Greta being carried by police.
That's a double-edged sword of a message if ever there was one.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I did think the push at the end was a push too far.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:21 pm Yes, awful for a young person to be an activist instead of being a gamer.
Says a lot about you that you feel they are the only options - she should be in fcking school not being whored about by attention hungry activist (long term unemployed) parents.

If she genuinely wanted to make the world better - go to Uni and study climate science.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:17 am Says a lot about you that you feel they are the only options - she should be in fcking school not being whored about by attention hungry activist (long term unemployed) parents.

If she genuinely wanted to make the world better - go to Uni and study climate science.
Are you for real? Go to Uni and study climate change.....this is her current Wiki profile: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greta_Thunberg and even if only 10% of it were true she has achieved more by the age of 20 that most people will in a life time.
'no more blah blah blah'
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Greta and her green comrades are responsible for plunging us into the mess we're in. It was the greens over the last few decades that successfully managed to write off nuclear power as an option for so many countries. Germany drank the kool-aid, closed down their plants and are now reliant on coal powered generation of electricity.

I totally get the desire to reduce emissions and fully support it, but these clowns are actively making things worse. We're all supposed to buy electric vehicles that our power generation capacity cannot hope to charge. We're supposed to rely on wind power to satisfy the growing population's needs? We're one of the least densely populated countries in Europe and we can't do it! How will Netherlands?

We're supposedly heading for food insecurity globally and Netherlands are shutting down farms to meet emissions targets? Sorry but who the f**k is making these decisions? Thanks Greta.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

isha wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:04 am It's odd, isn't it. For an arrest.
They said it wasn’t an arrest though, they forcefully detained the activists from hurting themselves, temporarily to identify them and then allowed them to go. Point taken though: that these climate activists get treated with kid gloves while the lockdown activists were treated like animals.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Cyclepath wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:11 pm Greta and her green comrades are responsible for plunging us into the mess we're in. It was the greens over the last few decades that successfully managed to write off nuclear power as an option for so many countries. Germany drank the kool-aid, closed down their plants and are now reliant on coal powered generation of electricity.

I totally get the desire to reduce emissions and fully support it, but these clowns are actively making things worse. We're all supposed to buy electric vehicles that our power generation capacity cannot hope to charge. We're supposed to rely on wind power to satisfy the growing population's needs? We're one of the least densely populated countries in Europe and we can't do it! How will Netherlands?

We're supposedly heading for food insecurity globally and Netherlands are shutting down farms to meet emissions targets? Sorry but who the f**k is making these decisions? Thanks Greta.
A tad simplistic to blame the Greens for the mess we are in when you consider the actions by vested interests such as Exxon and their ilk: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/ex ... r-AA16iMjF

As for nuclear power being the panacea for our problems with power generation I think Greenpeace have it nailed, but then I would think that wouldn't I. :mrgreen:

https://www.greenpeace.org/internationa ... ful-world/
'no more blah blah blah'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:45 am Are you for real? Go to Uni and study climate change.....this is her current Wiki profile: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greta_Thunberg and even if only 10% of it were true she has achieved more by the age of 20 that most people will in a life time.
Again, sad that you see notoriety as an achievement.

I assume the Just Stop Oil banner is in the wash - on a low setting of course.

Gobshites to a man these fools and their admittedly well meaning but simple minded acolytes.

India and China contribute to the majority of carbon emissions but where are the protests outside their Embassies ?

Nuclear power has little to climate change impact - yet I guarantee you numbskulls are fully paid uop members of CND.

You've not gotone fking brain cell between you all.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:11 pm A tad simplistic to blame the Greens for the mess we are in when you consider the actions by vested interests such as Exxon and their ilk: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/ex ... r-AA16iMjF

As for nuclear power being the panacea for our problems with power generation I think Greenpeace have it nailed, but then I would think that wouldn't I. :mrgreen:

What’s simplistic is the green peace’s criticism of nuclear energy, from claiming it’s too expensive, too slow and won’t do enough(while admitting it helps). A joke.

1. Nuclear energy delivers too little to matter
This is a stupid argument, it’s not helping enough. More reactors would help more.
2. Nuclear power plants are dangerous and vulnerable
Has any nuclear plant ever succumb to terrorism ever?
3. Nuclear energy is too expensive
A lie
4. Nuclear energy is too slow
Back to point one.
5. Nuclear energy generates huge amounts of toxic waste
The best argument against nuclear although the techniques in processing and storage make it far less toxic.
6. The nuclear industry is falling short of its promises
So called experts… blah blah blah”
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:17 pm Again, sad that you see notoriety as an achievement.

Gobshites to a man these fools and their admittedly well meaning but simple minded acolytes.

India and China contribute to the majority of carbon emissions but where are the protests outside their Embassies ?

Nuclear power has little to climate change impact - yet I guarantee you numbskulls are fully paid uop members of CND.

I’m the first to criticise China for many things but they are currently leading the world in green technology as well as having the emissions. This is really the only way forward when our economies are based on growth, we need more people not less according to most people in the know. To achieve this we need better technology to store the green energy or capture carbon from the atmosphere. All possible but they just need to get cheaper. This throwing yourself in a coal mine is not helping anyone but as you* said if you go to college and study this stuff you might help in the development of the new technology we need.
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:11 pm A tad simplistic to blame the Greens for the mess we are in when you consider the actions by vested interests such as Exxon and their ilk: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/ex ... r-AA16iMjF

Well I suppose what would you expect Greenpeace to say? Their arguments can also be counter argued.

https://www.energy.gov/ne/articles/3-re ... il%20fuels.

As for the amount of waste generated, modern reactors consume most of their waste. Even at current legacy technology levels, the space needed to store all of the nuclear waste currently created is infinitesimally smaller that the space required to bury worn out wind turbine blades. The land use is much much less than solar/wind too. I mean you can argue both ways but this is a long term issue and the fact that it takes longer to commission them can be offset with the much greater lifecycle of the plant. Wind energy is high maintenance - you never see the ongoing cost of ownership, maintenance, replacements etc included in their calculations for cost per megawatt.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:17 pm Again, sad that you see notoriety as an achievement.

Love the way you have to lower the tone of the discussion by swearing and abusing everybody you disagree with. Posting that sort of stuff here is just like what any blustering bully comes out with when they can't win an argument with rational points.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

knownunknown wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:28 pm What’s simplistic is the green peace’s criticism of nuclear energy, from claiming it’s too expensive, too slow and won’t do enough(while admitting it helps). A joke.

1. Nuclear energy delivers too little to matter
This is a stupid argument, it’s not helping enough. More reactors would help more.
2. Nuclear power plants are dangerous and vulnerable
Has any nuclear plant ever succumb to terrorism ever?

3. Nuclear energy is too expensive
A lie
4. Nuclear energy is too slow
Back to point one.
5. Nuclear energy generates huge amounts of toxic waste
The best argument against nuclear although the techniques in processing and storage make it far less toxic.
6. The nuclear industry is falling short of its promises
So called experts… blah blah blah”
Just taking point #2 - do you not follow the world news? What do you think has been going on in the Ukraine?
'no more blah blah blah'