Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Lidl to give vouchers for returned cans and bottles

Renewable energies, sustainability, recycling and everything in between
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Lidl to give vouchers for returned cans and bottles

Post by Del.Monte »

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0 ... rn-scheme/

Great to see somebody taking a lead on this. Next step should be to cut off the production of plastic bottles/packaging etc. rather than recycling which will only capture a percentage of the the wretched stuff.
'no more blah blah blah'
peasant
Verified Username

Re: Lidl to give vouchers for returned cans and bottles

Post by peasant »

Finally...

Other countries have been charging deposits for ages (and giving them back of course, once you return the bottles).

But I do remember the good old pre-plastic days, when you bought your drinks in glass bottles, which were then washed and re-used...all deposit based as well.

dawg

Post by dawg »

peasant wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:51 pm ...But I do remember the good old pre-plastic days, when you bought your drinks in glass bottles, which were then washed and re-used...all deposit based as well.

And milk was so much nicer with glass bottles.

DD, Merville ( or was it Premier by then ? ) and all the others said 'No' we couldnt have glass, plastic was the way to go.
It was so much cheaper for the dairies because it meant they didnt have to collect and wash the bottles.
Back then just about every house got milk delivered. What % of houses do now ?

Have I lived too long ?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

There was a time when if you wanted a bottle of milk in a small grocery shop you had to bring in a clean empty. Then again, I remember when most goods traffic in the town came by rail and was delivered to the shops by horse and dray. I don't remember the invention of the wheel but that was a little before my time. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

'no more blah blah blah'
Uncle Frank

Post by Uncle Frank »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:09 pm There was a time when if you wanted a bottle of milk in a small grocery shop you had to bring in a clean empty. Then again, I remember when most goods traffic in the town came by rail and was delivered to the shops by horse and dray. I don't remember the invention of the wheel but that was a little before my time. :mrgreen:
There are a small number of supermarkets in england trialling a system where you can bring your own containers for things like cereals, coffe, rice, dried beans and such, and you pay by weight. I hope they roll it out fully and start it over here too.