Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Saving the planet one step at a time

Renewable energies, sustainability, recycling and everything in between
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Saving the planet one step at a time

Post by Del.Monte »

Big oak trees grow from little acorns sums up this welcome initiative by Johnson & Johnson. I picked this up today and was delighted to find the packaging had changed from a plastic and card two piece combo to this simple, recyclable cardboard box.

It is millions of simple actions like this that must play a major part if the planet is to be saved. Those companies who will not make changes of their own volition must be forced to by financial penalties and/or banning of their products - China please note!

'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Saving the planet one step at a time

Post by kadman »

Totally agree in little changes at first and hopefully progressing to the big changes eventually.
But realistic targets and changes must be the order of the day. We cant do it all in a short space of time. And the governments placing unrealistic paces on us to achieve, while at the same time telling us new data centres will be eating up all our electric, and that the common folk will be facing power shortages because of it, is just more crazy politics that Ireland is well known for.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

#.2. Multi-pack button cell batteries.

Ban the importation/sale of mixed multi-pack button cell batteries. Another simple thing that could be done by government at the stroke of a pen and would cut down on a massive waste of money and potential cause of pollution. How many of us have bought these multi-packs of mixed batteries when we need only one type but it's frequently buy a mixed pack or go without. I know that I've been guilty of this in the past especially when the children were small and still have some that will never be used. I always put my used batteries in the recycling box at my local hardware but I'm damn sure countless millions of them find their way into landfill or worse. At least by banning mixed multi-packs it would greatly reduce the amount of unused ones being purchased every year.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:12 pm #.2. Multi-pack button cell batteries.

Ban the importation/sale of mixed multi-pack button cell batteries. Another simple thing that could be done by government at the stroke of a pen and would cut down on a massive waste of money and potential cause of pollution. How many of us have bought these multi-packs of mixed batteries when we need only one type but it's frequently buy a mixed pack or go without. I know that I've been guilty of this in the past especially when the children were small and still have some that will never be used. I always put my used batteries in the recycling box at my local hardware but I'm damn sure countless millions of them find their way into landfill or worse. At least by banning mixed multi-packs it would greatly reduce the amount of unused ones being purchased every year.
Then kiss goodbye to paying pound shop prices for those sort of items.

The chinese will still make cheap batteries that don't last but we'll end up paying a lot more money for them if they can't be marketed in that Dealz/Euro Shop type way.

The ecological advantage to the wasted batteries is that the products that take the batteries that do get used don't get thrown away. I doubt many people know what actual battery of that type they need but will buy a whole pack because there is a good chance one is the correct one. If they don't do that I bet the original item would end up in the bin.

btw I don't think those batteries are genuine kodak? I have that same pack here and the batteries themselves aren't marked as kodak whereas other genuine kodak batteries are branded as such. Kodak also use a CR code not AG for their button cell batteries.
Last edited by 490808 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

It's not multi-packs that need banning but the mixed packs.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

What I'm saying is people will buy a mixed pack because it reduces the risk of getting the wrong battery but won't remove a battery and go looking for one with the same code.

I would go looking for the right code but not everyone is like me (fortunately for the world :mrgreen: ).
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I've been wrestling with this one for a long time and finally bit the bullet and treated myself to an electric razor. Twenty two years since I last used one and weighing up the environmental damage caused by wet shaving - foam into the waste water, the tins themselves plastic and metal combos have always gone into the metal recycling (but may not be genuinely recyclable), the disposal razors (also combos) into the plastic recycling. So, I reckon that there will an environmental benefit as well as no longer having to shave in my ice cold bathroom. I shall report back after commissioning. :D

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

^^^^ Not as fancy as my new Nokia phone Del, but yup a man's gotta do because a man's gotta do.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:37 pm I've been wrestling with this one for a long time and finally bit the bullet and treated myself to an electric razor. Twenty two years since I last used one and weighing up the environmental damage caused by wet shaving - foam into the waste water, the tins themselves plastic and metal combos have always gone into the metal recycling (but may not be genuinely recyclable), the disposal razors (also combos) into the plastic recycling. So, I reckon that there will an environmental benefit as well as no longer having to shave in my ice cold bathroom. I shall report back after commissioning. :D

The biggest saving on your carbon footprint would be to turn off the radio and stop listening to Joe Scruffy. That would give your environment a major boost.

But some habits are hard to crack, maybe valium would help :lol:
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

490808 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:22 pm
btw I don't think those batteries are genuine kodak? I have that same pack here and the batteries themselves aren't marked as kodak whereas other genuine kodak batteries are branded as such. Kodak also use a CR code not AG for their button cell batteries.
I'm wondering if it's a bit like the "CE" European Conformity mark and the "CE" Chinese export mark. Both look the same except for a SLIGHT difference in the spacing between the "C" and "E"....
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:29 pm I'm wondering if it's a bit like the "CE" European Conformity mark and the "CE" Chinese export mark. Both look the same except for a SLIGHT difference in the spacing between the "C" and "E"....
Ah Janey! Not that again. :roll: :roll: :roll:

There is no "Chinese Export" mark, just badly faked CE marks. That whole myth was dreamt up by one blogger on behalf of a (British) standards lab trying to drum up business for themselves. Irony of ironies, that company can no longer issue CE conformity marks coz of Brexit, innit.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:33 pmI picked this up today and was delighted to find the packaging had changed from a plastic and card two piece combo to this simple, recyclable cardboard box ... China please note!
The question of paper/card versus plastic is a delicate one. The up-front environmental cost of paper/card production is possibly worse (far worse, as far as water-consumption goes) than that of plastic; and in terms of protection-vs-weight plastic wins every time too, with consequent implications for the associated transport costs.

Yesterday, I was listening to one of Amazon's heads-of-operations talking about how they're "working with suppliers" to reduce the amount of packaging needed. She wasn't asked, and didn't volunteer, to explain how Amazon's repeated refusal to send one order in one single package can possibly be reconciled with a professed desire to reduce the environmental impact of their service. AliExpress, on the otherhand - and in my experience - reliably bundles everything into one single delivery, with minimal wasted stuffing and additional courrier journeys.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I have never used Aliexpress....should I?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

If you buy cheap Chinese crap from Amazon, then yes - it's the same stuff, but 1/10th of the price! Also good for cheap not-so-crap spare parts, the like of which you supposedly can't buy from an OEM source because they're only sold "as part of a complete unit".