Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Facebook Marketplace

Discuss antiques and other collectables
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Facebook Marketplace

Post by Del.Monte »

I have a friend who swears that FB Marketplace is the place to be and, in fairness to him, he buys and sells a lot on it but as for me - this is what I found tonight for just €50, If they were in mint condition they aren't worth tuppence. The neck of some people!

It's either rubbish like that or young wans bursting out of their hardly worn dresses... :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'
JayZeus
Verified Username

Re: Facebook Marketplace

Post by JayZeus »

Facebook.

The place for worthless expressions of opinion, the demonstration of limited intellect and pictures you should keep to yourself.

Facebook Marketplace.

The place for those above to sell worthless shite.

😁

Post by 765489 »

They are not even suitable for pub decor! Dreamers.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Jeez I've worse in the bottom of the pit in the garage!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:25 pm Jeez I've worse in the bottom of the pit in the garage!
And god knows what delightful residue they contain.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Just went digging in the garage and this was on the shelf. How much would it be worth according to BookFace marketplace?

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Almost mint - you would never get what it's worth on Marketplace - try Sotheby's (New York) and you're talking.
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:43 pm Just went digging in the garage and this was on the shelf. How much would it be worth according to BookFace marketplace?

50 euro if its empty, 5000 euro if there is oil in it by todays prices :D
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

If its old petroliana, then some idiot will pay money for it.
Its what petrol heads want to adorn their retro garages.

I would be happy with a decent vintage car in my shed, which I have 2 off. But if some idiot wants to buy my shed clearouts of rusty cans...............who am I to spoil his day. :D
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Speaking of rusty shite. I was getting ready to dump an old rusty vw bootlid from the mid 60.s
Rusty so much that there would be little original stuff left by the time new metal was welded in, and I dont need the hassle. Lo and behold I was asked to keep it for someone who wanted it. But he did not want it for a car, he wanted to place it on his wall in his house as a piece of artwork :shock: :shock:

I suggested the same to the missus for a laugh. She threatened to shape it around my head if I even thought about it :lol:

Post by 765489 »

I have loads of rusty junk strewn around the place. I never thought of it as art. Until now that is.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

These things go for big bucks in the UK. During the lockdown, I was forced into watching daytime TV and if you look out for programmes like, Find it Fix it Flog it, Junk and Disorderly and Shed and Buried, all hosted by the same guy, you'll be amazed at the price some of these oil cans go for, it can be hundreds of pounds. Loads of other shite too, if you have the skills, upcycling can be a lucrative business.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

kadman wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:18 pm 50 euro if its empty, 5000 euro if there is oil in it by todays prices :D
There is a liquid in it. Judging by the sloshing noise it made when shook, it's not oil. It's probably petrol in a two stroke mix knowing me of an unknown ratio and unknown age......
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:34 am There is a liquid in it. Judging by the sloshing noise it made when shook, it's not oil. It's probably petrol in a two stroke mix knowing me of an unknown ratio and unknown age......
So quite possibly some pre decimal cheap costing petrol. That has to be rare now :lol:
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

It's probably worth more now as it's "vintage petrol"
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Have you thought of trying to distill the contents - it could compete with good ginger beer for an after-burn.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Distilling the contents, not after an " incident" I had in a lab of an oil refinery....

It was my work placement when in college. I was young, eager and stupid. I had the task of determining the viscosity of crude oil. There was two baths at the end of the lab for viscosity testing. The crude oil bath was at a reasonable temperature (25C or 30C or something like that). The heavy fuel oil bath (the leftovers after distilling the petrol, diesel etc out) was at something like 70C or 80C.

I made the mistake of putting the crude into the heavy fuel oil bath. Due to the heat, a lot of the crude boiled fairly instantly resulting in a violent vertical discharge of crude oil from the viscosity tube sitting in the bath. The oil splashed on the ceiling and "rained down" on the lab, lab personnel and two Revenue/Customs agents doing marked gas oil inspections......

So, if you hear of an accident that's taken out half of West Cork, you know what happened