Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Do you know of any Antique/Collectables shops?

Discuss antiques and other collectables
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Do you know of any Antique/Collectables shops?

Post by Del.Monte »

About a hundred years ago - well 2007 to be exact - I wrote and self-published a guidebook called "Collect Ireland". No sooner published than it was out-of-date and disillusioned I switched my interest to online and developed the https://collectireland.com/ site . This has been a success but being a dinosaur I feel drawn back to the printed word and have been working on a new edition of the guide but the wretched pandemic has put paid to my plans for a countrywide tour to check-out things on the ground.

There's only so much research that you can do online, or over the phone, hence this appeal for information. Do you know of any obscure antique/collectable shops, secondhand bookshops etc. that I should include in the new edition? You can check the website if you want to see if I already have the business listed - if it's on the site it will be in the guide. Thanks in advance. :)

PS The new edition will include Northern Ireland.

'no more blah blah blah'

Re: Do you know of any Antique/Collectables shops?

Post by 95438756 »

Aungier Street. Sells model railway stuff once on a blue moon. Has other girls and boys toys too on display like a Lufthansa courtesy car.
I stick to charity shops though. One chain was selling Star Wars AT ATs Rebel fighters and figurines but seems to have discontinued this line. I can imagine little Johnny returning to the shop counter and saying " SIRRR, I watched this video on YouTube and this guy fully fixed the same model! Have you got any tools I could use to do the same....". A cold, blank indifferent stare is returned to little Johnny from behind the counter.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Do you have a name for that shop?
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

you should'nt expect me to. The establishment sits between GREENES JEWELLERS towards the City Centre and V REPAIR towards Camden Street.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

gugleguy wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:29 am you should'nt expect me to. The establishment sits between GREENES JEWELLERS towards the City Centre and V REPAIR towards Camden Street.
Would this be it?

'no more blah blah blah'
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Haven’t passed by in a while so no idea if it is still there, but there was a quirky little shop in Annamoe, Co Wicklow that I stopped in a few times out of curiosity over the years.

It’s not exactly obscure or off the beaten track as you can’t miss it if you drive through the village, but i always thought it was a bit random as there literally nothing else in the village.