Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The late John Rogers Poster Sale

Discuss antiques and other collectables
Del.Monte
Verified Username

The late John Rogers Poster Sale

Post by Del.Monte »

Adams are holding an Online Auction of Vintage Travel Posters on the 27th July - the collection of the late John Rogers who ran Gallery 29 on Molesworth Street. I'm glad to say that I knew John from popping in and out of the gallery in the early 1990s just to view what was on offer. Only the best stuff graced the gallery walls and even though John knew that I wasn't a potential buyer he spent as much time showing me around as if I had been his best customer. In fact, he very generously made me up a DVD of all his Irish posters which I still have. I hadn't seen him for a long time and was surprised, and sad, to hear that he died - I only found out today with the release of this catalogue. A thorough gentleman!

Anyway, there's over 400 Lots in this sale and you probably won't see a similar sale in Ireland for a very long time. There's some Irish posters - including Lot.2. an old favourite of mine - the Dominion Line poster from 1900. I owned a couple of dozen of these at one time purchased from a dealer in the Market Arcade (South Great George's Street) at £20 a pop. He had purchased them from a CIE employee who saved them from a skip on the North Wall along with a great many other superb posters. I digress and so here's a few samples and the catalogue link: https://adams.ie/Vintage-Posters-from-t ... ent_page=1 I think that many of the posters carry unrealistically low estimates so don't get too excited!

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: The late John Rogers Poster Sale

Post by Del.Monte »

Good prices achieved today - especially for the Irish posters - this one sold for five times the upper estimate!

Full details of prices realised here: https://www.adams.ie/Vintage-Posters-fr ... a4t_page=1
'no more blah blah blah'