Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Antique/Art collecting during the Pandemic

Discuss antiques and other collectables
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Antique/Art collecting during the Pandemic

Post by Del.Monte »

ANTIQUE/ART COLLECTING DURING THE PANDEMIC

How have you managed to keep collecting during the various lockdowns? Car Boot Sales gone for months along with non-essential (antiques shops, charity shops etc.) and most salerooms only offering online viewing and bidding. It's a generally accepted rule in collecting circles that it's a bad idea to purchase something without inspecting it in the flesh but that has generally not been possible and in my case has led to the purchase of a couple of real lemons.

I have been lucky in that the bulk of my purchases have been paintings and for the most part salerooms put up reasonable images and descriptions. My worst experience was the the purchase of two watercolours/prints - the images were poor and the auctioneers couldn't make up their minds what they were selling - often the case with a saleroom not normally selling fine art. I won the two 'items' and when the courier dropped them off immediately saw my mistake - they were prints and not proper prints but some awful 1960s photographic jobby that I've haven't come across before.

However, worse was to come as within a few days the poorer quality of the two prints developed some sort of mold infestation! Upstairs to what passes for my workshop and out of the frame with it. What to do - I resorted to the method patented by Mr.Bean in "Bean: The Ultimate Disaster Movie" when he attempted to clean "Whistler's Mother" - with the same result! The remains are dumped in the workshop.

The second of the pair - the better one - shows no sign of infestation and is now for sale on Adverts for just €60. It's from an original by the late Gerrit Van Gelderen and if it was an original would be quite a valuable item. A lesson learned but it was outside my control as physical viewing was not available and the catalogue description was incorrect. Very much a case of buying a pig in a poke!

Anybody else have any similar experiences?

https://www.adverts.ie/pictures-paintin ... n/23975567
'no more blah blah blah'
Wibbs
Verified Username

Re: Antique/Art collecting during the Pandemic

Post by Wibbs »

Collectables of all kinds have shot up in value and interest since the Woo flu hit. Some are very inflated like classic cars and watches. I'm no sure it's a good time to buy into stuff, unless it was always high quality, but just not fashionable at the moment. Which is generally probably good advice for collectables anyway. The old sell while everyone is buying, buy when everyone is selling principle. :D

And yeah 100% always try and see the item in the flesh, unless it's going for feck all because it hasn't been spotted so worth a punt, or you really know what you're at.
Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.