Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Anybody know about clocks?

Discuss antiques and other collectables
schmittel
Verified Username

Anybody know about clocks?

Post by schmittel »

Looking to sell a few clocks and wondered if anybody here knows anything about clocks or knows anybody who does?

This one is big and heavy, about 17.5 inches high, made of brass with blue and white enamel dial and decorative sides and top inserts, stamped on the movement - GV 64310 320

clock1.jpg
clock1.jpg (259.82 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
clock2.jpg
clock2.jpg (207.14 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
Last edited by schmittel on Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
schmittel
Verified Username

Re: Anybody know about clocks?

Post by schmittel »

This one is ormolu and ebonised, about 17 inches high, still searching for any sign of a makers mark/stamp.

clock3.jpg
clock3.jpg (291.36 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I'm afraid the only think I know about clocks is to go to Stokes, Cork for any clock repairs. No affiliation with them, except for being a happy customer.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Sorry schmittel, you're about a decade too late. My uncle was a clock collector and restorer and would probably have been able to give you all the info you needed, but he died several years ago and no-one in the family (as far as I know) has taken over the hobby. I was talking to my father (his brother) about the collection (and workshop) only the other day as I'm looking for a replacement pendulum for a clock he gave me as a wedding present, and he gave no indication that there's anyone with access to parts or information within our immediate circle. :(
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

CelticRambler wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:36 pm Sorry schmittel, you're about a decade too late. My uncle was a clock collector and restorer and would probably have been able to give you all the info you needed, but he died several years ago and no-one in the family (as far as I know) has taken over the hobby. I was talking to my father (his brother) about the collection (and workshop) only the other day as I'm looking for a replacement pendulum for a clock he gave me as a wedding present, and he gave no indication that there's anyone with access to parts or information within our immediate circle. :(
The knowledge does seem to be dying out alright!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I have several clock restorers on my site here: https://collectireland.com/repairs-restoration/ - an auction is your best bet for selling but a friend in the trade that I spoke to today says the bottom has fallen out of the clock market.
'no more blah blah blah'
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Hang on a minute…

Ah.

I have to hand it to you, Del.Monte.

For a second there, I was a bit alarmed that you were just winding us up.

But the auction option could be the key to this particular case.

If these clocks ring a bell with a buyer and are recognisable makes, they may sell in no time at all.

On the face of it, I thought it was a daft idea, but I shouldn’t have struck off your suggestion so readily.

Right, time for bed.