Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Unusual hobbies and collecting activities in Ireland

Discuss antiques and other collectables
BrianD3

Unusual hobbies and collecting activities in Ireland

Post by BrianD3 »

Are anoraky hobbies and collecting activities less of a thing in Ireland than in other countries, if so, why? Is it because we are a small country and there isn't enough of a critical mass for niche hobbies. Of is it because we were a poor country so were focused on survival and practical things rather than developing a culture of eccentric collecting. Resulting in us not having many lads who have hoarded 20 Austin Allegros in their back gardens, not for financial gain but because they want to.

I thought about this after looking online for pics of Irish TV aerials from the 1980s and all I found was British website called Aerial Lingus :D . This then led on to a site about electricity pylons, Pylon of the Month :shock:

I'm not particularly interested in aerials or pylons but do have a few cars around the house, a golf ball collection and seem to be developing an interest in Betamax video recorders and Honda lawnmowers. How about you?
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Unusual hobbies and collecting activities in Ireland

Post by kadman »

Missus says I have way too many classic vw bits n bobs. But I only have 2, and maybe 10 engines. Sure thats not a lot. Plus a large amount of antique woodworking tools, books, car books, timber, and a shed full of yew woodturning timber.

She should thank her lucky stars...i could be on the piss 7 nights a week, otherwise :lol: :lol:
Last edited by kadman on Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

kadman wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:22 pm Missus says I have way too many classic vw bits n bobs. But I only have 2, and maybe 10 engines. Sure thats not a lot. Plus a large amount of antique woodworking tools, books, car books, timber, and a shed full of yew woodturning timber.

She should thank her luck stars...i could be on the piss 7 nights a week, otherwise :lol: :lol:
My rail obsession 1983/1998 also involved being on the piss 7 nights a week, so you can have both hobbies. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

I agree with the OP.

The Brits have the archiving gene much deeper than us. It's especially noticeable when it comes to archive television. Network On Air have released numerous niche programmes on DVD (most from the ITV archive). Many would only sell 1,000 copies or less. But they're available. RTE on the other hand couldn't care less about theirs. I accept we were a poorer country and fewer people had VCRs so not as much off-air stuff but there's a much lower incidence of collecting and preserving here.

For music - lots of people have the general grá and the vinyl revival has rekindled it in others. But there's seems to be a lack of interest in artists' reissues and box sets. On Boards, there are massive threads on Pink Floyd, Metallica, Guns N' Roses & Thin Lizzy. All three have released substantial box sets in recent years; there's hardly any discussion of them over there. In 1,500 posts I was the first person to mention the Thin Lizzy Rock Legends set and didn't get one response about it.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:47 pm I agree with the OP.

The Brits have the archiving gene much deeper than us. It's especially noticeable when it comes to archive television. Network On Air have released numerous niche programmes on DVD (most from the ITV archive). Many would only sell 1,000 copies or less. But they're available. RTE on the other hand couldn't care less about theirs. I accept we were a poorer country and fewer people had VCRs so not as much off-air stuff but there's a much lower incidence of collecting and preserving here.

For music - lots of people have the general grá and the vinyl revival has rekindled it in others. But there's seems to be a lack of interest in artists' reissues and box sets. On Boards, there are massive threads on Pink Floyd, Metallica, Guns N' Roses & Thin Lizzy. All three have released substantial box sets in recent years; there's hardly any discussion of them over there. In 1,500 posts I was the first person to mention the Thin Lizzy Rock Legends set and didn't get one response about it.
Agreed, we don't seem to have the archiving, collecting and trainspotting gene as much as the British do. However, some of us that do have it, have it baaaad (good) Two examples off the top of my head are: the late Gerry Kennedy from Laois who collected Fiat 132s and had up to 50 of them at a time when they had become virtually extinct in the UK/Ireland.

And Greg Molloy (killian m2 on youtube and twitter) who has collected tens of thousands of home recorded VHS and Beta tapes and has programmes that the broadcasters don't have.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Yes KillianM2 has a great collection and curates it very well. From 1986 to 2006 I taped anything interesting on my VCR (amassed about 2,500 tapes) but unfortunately always chose to edit out the adverts & continuity.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:04 pm Yes KillianM2 has a great collection and curates it very well. From 1986 to 2006 I taped anything interesting on my VCR (amassed about 2,500 tapes) but unfortunately always chose to edit out the adverts & continuity.
That's a serious tape collection! Do you still have them? I thought I was doing well with my 300 tape hoard LOL
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

BrianD3 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:10 pm That's a serious tape collection! Do you still have them? I thought I was doing well with my 300 tape hoard LOL
Still have about 700/800 of them left. A lot of the films I taped, I ended up buying on DVD or BD in later years so I moved those on. Same for TV series; I have bought loads of those on DVD in the last 20+ years so I retired the tapes (unless there was something unique on them).

Not recording adverts was a decision to save space. I alternated between E180 and E240s so depending on the films, you'd usually get two per tape but if ad breaks were included, then they'd run over. BBC2 was the ideal station to record from - I was hooked on Moviedrome on Sunday nights, a lot of those recorded. TV3 was the worst to record from as there were no break bumpers, it would go straight back into the film. Plus their adverts exceeded 5 minutes which means the pause button would unpause itself.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:43 pm Still have about 700/800 of them left. A lot of the films I taped, I ended up buying on DVD or BD in later years so I moved those on. Same for TV series; I have bought loads of those on DVD in the last 20+ years so I retired the tapes (unless there was something unique on them).

Not recording adverts was a decision to save space. I alternated between E180 and E240s so depending on the films, you'd usually get two per tape but if ad breaks were included, then they'd run over. BBC2 was the ideal station to record from - I was hooked on Moviedrome on Sunday nights, a lot of those recorded. TV3 was the worst to record from as there were no break bumpers, it would go straight back into the film. Plus their adverts exceeded 5 minutes which means the pause button would unpause itself.
Yep, all of that sounds familiar. As a teenager with little money, tape was precious and not to be wasted on recording ads. 20, 30, 40 years later, in some cases the most interesting parts of the recordings are the ads and other incidental bits like news bulletins.

I also loved Moviedrome and have a few on tape including the all important intros. The various mini seasons on BBC 2 and C4 were also good and sometimes had intros from the likes of Alex Cox or Mark Kermode. Banned, censored, Movie Nightmares, Dr Terror's Vault of Horror and so on.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Channel 4's Banned Season 1991
and BBC2's Forbidden Weekend 1995 (with the documentary Empire Of The Censors) were both fantastic.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Thin Lizzy (an Irish band) are releasing a Live & Dangerous box set in January.
https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/thi ... e-edition/

I posted about it yesterday on the Thin Lizzy thread at Boards.ie which is an Irish website.
No replies.

Meanwhile on the Steve Hoffman Music Forums (US website with primarily US posters) there's 250 replies already on its dedicated thread.

Kinda proves the OP's point.