Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The Feckin Internet

Discuss antiques and other collectables
Del.Monte
Verified Username

The Feckin Internet

Post by Del.Monte »

Back in the day regular auction goers like myself used to love the excitement of finding a sleeper and this morning I signed up for a UK auction more in hope than expectation but realistically it was never going to happen. Two Percy French watercolours carrying an estimate of just £50/80. In pre-internet days there was always the outside chance that you might have the field to yourself if nobody else physically viewing the auction had spotted the item. Now, with even the most lowly auction having a worldwide audience the bidders never run-out and it takes a miracle for a sleeper to remain unnoticed. A poor description by the auctioneer is your best hope. This morning the English auctioneer was genuinely surprised when the bidding ended at £3,200!

'no more blah blah blah'

Re: The Feckin Internet

Post by 95438756 »

Same mindset pervades model trains too, Del.
I bought 2 murphy model 071s for 190 euro each, before the pandemic in marks models.
A northern rail111 (a northern rail 071) is being offered for
£350.
I also bought Stephenson's rocket and 3 coach set from marks during the pandemic for €194.99
The same set now in the UK will set a UK buyer back £241
"Business is War"
Japanese saying
knownunknown

Re: The Feckin Internet

Post by knownunknown »

I guess that also means if you have something to sell you’ll get a good price for it, silver linings and all that xp