Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Car Boot Sales

Discuss antiques and other collectables
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Car Boot Sales

Post by Del.Monte »

The ever popular Straffan Car Boot Sale in County Kildare makes a welcome return on Saturday 21st August 2021.

Latest info here: https://www.facebook.com/straffancarboot
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Car Boot Sales

Post by kadman »

I was never at it, is it any good. My last outing was to Clara boot sale over 2 years ago. Its back open now and seems to get
large crowds.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

It is good, but small compared to Clara and more of a community effort.
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

But there can be a lot of rubbish in Clara that seems to make its way from one stall to another, and increase in price on its journey.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Down this neck of the woods - County Wexford - there's a large car boot sale/market at the strangely named "Unyoke". This is something like Clara and there are a large number of traders selling the staples - washing powder, toilet rolls, 'secondhand' tools - but there are interesting items to be had for the early bird who is prepared to search though mountains of mind numbing dross. I have picked up quite a few items of vintage kitchenalia over the years and I'm long overdue a return visit soon.

Unyoke Market & Car Boot Sale.
Unyoke, Co.Wexford Y21 DH92

(Near “The Trading Post” shop/filling station on the (R741) – the road between Gorey and Wexford via Ballycanew)

Every Sunday from early (6.00am - 2.00pm)

More here: https://www.facebook.com/Unyoke-Carboot ... 321825621/
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:23 am But there can be a lot of rubbish in Clara that seems to make its way from one stall to another, and increase in price on its journey.
If you're looking for overpriced rubbish, you won't find better than at our equivalents here in France, the brocante. The stuff rarely moves from stall to stall, though - it just comes back in the same car boot, year after year, with the price adjusted for inflation! :lol:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

It's not just car boot sales/brocantes that do this, and here many antique dealers seem happy to present the same overpriced tat on their websites and in their shops from one end of the year to the next.
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

CelticRambler wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:09 am If you're looking for overpriced rubbish, you won't find better than at our equivalents here in France, the brocante. The stuff rarely moves from stall to stall, though - it just comes back in the same car boot, year after year, with the price adjusted for inflation! :lol:
Funny thing is I have bought a lot of antique tools from Ebay.fr , a lot cheaper than any other e bay site. :)
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:45 pm Funny thing is I have bought a lot of antique tools from Ebay.fr , a lot cheaper than any other e bay site. :)
Ah, but they'd be internautes selling them - they have a slightly better understanding of reality than your typical Frenchman who still wants to pay by cheque in three instalments.

Pricing in France can be paradoxical. If you can excuse the implicit racist generalisation, they're a terrible people for suddenly deciding to follow a new fashion and throwing out everything that belongs to the "old" look, or selling it dirt cheap. But at the same time, they'll try to sell modern tat secondhand for more than you can buy it new, because they paid a ridiculous price for it when it first came out. :roll:

There used to be a great trade, though, by the Brits coming over with a van, buying a huge amount of good-quality furniture and other antiques at several brocantes in the space of a week or two, then taking them back to the boot-fairs in England and selling them for two, three or four times the price. That's finished now, thanks to Brexit.
Wibbs
Verified Username

Post by Wibbs »

kadman wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:45 pm Funny thing is I have bought a lot of antique tools from Ebay.fr , a lot cheaper than any other e bay site. :)
+1 I've long been surprised by how few people even think to look at "local" outlets of ebay when looking for anything collectable. Americans can be very continental US only in thinking with both buying and selling and seem to think straying beyond .com is here be dragons territory. Prices can vary by quite the amount depending on what is fashionable and desireable locally. Even with the world wide web global village thing tastes can be surprisingly local, as can prices. In the EU examples of very different pricing can be seen with comparing Germany to France or Italy. German prices are in general quite the bit higher.

When I was more active in collecting vintage watches the bargains I picked up were rarely to be found in ebay.com or ebay.ie(or .de for that matter). Depending on how the seller selected their options for international sales the items might or might not show up in .com or .ie even though they were willing and wanting to sell worldwide. Of the sellers that clicked local to their country only, I found the vast majority would be happy to post to Ireland after a quick DM. Though even here there were differences. French, Spanish, Italian sellers were far more likely to be cool with this compared to British, American and German sellers. American sellers being the worst for this. They seemed to think post didn't operate beyond the 50 states.
Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

In over 40 years on this planet I've never been to a car boot sale! Would there be stuff like old computers and home entertainment items, TVs, VCRs and media for same, floppy disks, tapes etc. Would obviously need to be very cheap and assumed to be not working and only suitable for tinkering and spare parts.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Yes, that sort of rubbish is the backbone of car boot sales along with the previously mentioned washing powder, toilet rolls etc.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Here's one that I've never been to and would welcome some first-hand information.

Longford Indoor Market & Car Boot Sale,
Mastertech Business Park,
Athlone Road, Longford
Tel: (086) 642 7226

https://www.facebook.com/pg/longfordindoormarket/posts/
'no more blah blah blah'
Mikewest

Post by Mikewest »

Well run two years ago. Friends were semi regular stall holders for a charity. Their biggest complaint was the professional traders that would buy (latterly try to) their donated stuff for half nothing and sell it for higher prices on their own stalls. Not the cheapest car boot place and it is Longford so you have a good number of the "it fell off the back of a truck boss" types.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Another new one and indoor too!

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Botanic Hockey Club Car Boot Sale - Sunday 3rd April

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Another popular sale returns.

Caragh Car Boot Sale
Caragh Community Centre Car Park,
Caragh, Co.Kildare W91 RV07
(Approx. 3 miles NW of Naas)

* And EVERY Bank Holiday Monday until further notice *

(Gates open 6:30am for sellers)

Sellers: €15 for cars. €20 small vans. €25 large vans and commercials.

NO PRE-BOOKING required, just turn up and pay at the gate.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Straffan is back - usually starts at around 10am.

Latest information: https://www.facebook.com/straffancarboot
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Seagoe Youth Group Car Boot Sale,

Seagoe Church Car Park,

Portadown, Co.Armagh

Lots more Nordie sales here:
https://collectireland.com/ni-car-boot-sales/
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Blarney is on this Bank Holiday Monday 1st August - this is the big one!

Full details on Blarney and many other sales here: https://collectireland.com/car-boot-sales/
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The return of an old friend this weekend.

'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I was at Clara boot sale yesterday, for the first time in many months. One guy was selling 100's of Woodworking magazines, that I also used to collect.
For a split millisecond I was tempted. But remembered That I did a similar clearout about 5 years ago with many 100's of similar woodworking publications. The missus saw me drooling over them for a few seconds and her gaze changed from a pleasent stare to something approaching a frown momentarily.
I had made up my mind not to get them, but I couldn't resist the opportunity. " Its gonna take a few trips to the car for these Noelle" I said.
Her frown started to materialise....then it backed off to a smile. Probably because I just spent 4 months redoing the whole kitchen, plus a new kitchen.
With a smile she said " I suppose it will"
Just kidding I said with a laugh. :lol: :lol: :lol: