Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Hand-painted postcards: quality art for buttons

Discuss antiques and other collectables
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Hand-painted postcards: quality art for buttons

Post by Del.Monte »

I started collecting artist postcards of Irish scenes a few years ago inspired by the work of the British artist Walter Hayward Young (1868-1920). Most of his work is signed with the pseudonym "Jotter. This view of Kingstown/Dun Laoghaire is typical of his Irish work.

Educated at Warwick School, Hayward-Young's work, particularly his postcard designs (of which there are over 800), became renowned worldwide. He wrote a series of articles on Sketching for 'The Girls Own Paper and Woman's Magazine' which were later published as a book under the title 'Short Cuts to Sketching'.
Hayward-Young signed many of his pieces under the pseudonym 'Jotter'. In 1912, Hayward-Young designed posters for the London Underground, including one promoting visits to Hampton Court. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Hayward-Young

And that’s it, not much of an entry for an artist who created well over the 800 original works of art referred to above, as well as various posters, book illustrations and other paintings.

Happily for Hayward Young – there’s no hyphen and Hayward was a second name – his maturing as an artist coincided with the development of picture postcards and he appears to have been very much in demand. Young produced paintings for quite a number of postcard publishers with the firm of Raphael Tuck & Sons (London) being the principal one. He also produced work for the firms of Arthur Burkart & Co. and Frederick Hartmann both also of London. Ironically, in the light of what was to follow, all three firms were developed by German émigrés.

On the 29th December 1940, a bombing raid on London by the German Luftwaffe, destroyed Tuck’s Raphael House head offices and the records of seventy-four years and 40,000 or more original pictures were reduced to ashes. I assume that this is the reason that so few original “Jotter” paintings turn up at auction. I haven’t established what happened to the collections held at the other London based postcard publishers – anybody able to throw some light on the matter? .

There’s a very fine database of Tuck’s output here: http://tuckdb.org/ and all of Young’s Irish postcards produced for the firm can be found there. I have been on the trail of his Irish work for other companies – that for Burkart & Co. is concentrated on the great Victorian hotels that sprang up to cater for the tourist trade brought to the south and west of the country by the railways. The card shown here is one of the scarcer of his Irish cards, and shows the Great Southern Hotel at Waterville, County Kerry.

While I still collect mass produced Irish cards by "Jotter", I have now largely moved on to collecting original, one-off hand-painted postcards and will return to this in my next post.
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Hand-painted postcards: quality art for buttons

Post by kadman »

Postcards are a great historical record, and those you posted are beautiful works of art for sure.

Post by 765489 »

Really enjoying the http://tuckdb.org/ link. Think I've already spent an hour going through the postcards. Brilliant stuff!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Not long after I started collecting "Jotter's" cards I began to come across original hand-painted cards and I was hooked!
My first such card was this bluish toned one of Fair Head, Co.Antrim posted between 1901-1910, and what it lacks in colour it makes up for with detail and location.

Irish cards are particularly hard to find and I soon started to buy British cards, and even some foreign ones, but I turn up my nose at the hundreds of Japanese cards of Mount Fuji. While most cards are quite cheap it is the finding of them which is the challenge. I trawl through thousands of cards every year on sites such as eBay, Delcampe and eBid - the vast bulk of them incorrectly described as hand-painted when they are actually mass produced copies of an original painting.

This pretty card of 'The Tower of Refuge' at Douglas in the Isle of Man had a vague description but no mention of the IoM. Fortunately having lived in Douglas I recognised it immediately and picked it for a couple of pounds.

As a fan of maritime scenes I couldn't resist this surreal/naive scene of boats heading for the harbour. Untitled I call it 'Running for Home' and it was posted in the Somme area of France in August 1902 and only cost a few pounds. It's unusual too in that it is oil on card as most cards are watercolour.

Going to the trouble of painting a postcard is simply mind boggling in an era when most people wouldn't even bother buying a mass produced card - preferring to send a Snapchat/WhatsApp message instead.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Some more gems from my collection.

"Yes Tor", Dartmoor - a real mini work of art - a snip at £5.95 including p+p.

"Capel Curig Lakes and Snowdon" - a lot of detail in this card.

"A Scene from the New Forest" - cute and just £4.95 including p+p.

All picked up for half nothing - unless you count the hours spent searching and many of them spent fruitlessly.
'no more blah blah blah'
Uncle Frank

Post by Uncle Frank »

You would need a good hand to get that kind of detail into so small a space.
The artists who were painting these, was it a viable commercial venture I wonder?
Did they paint several of the same scene or just one original which they then made prints off? In fact could you even make prints back in those days?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Uncle Frank wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:36 pm You would need a good hand to get that kind of detail into so small a space.
The artists who were painting these, was it a viable commercial venture I wonder?
Did they paint several of the same scene or just one original which they then made prints off? In fact could you even make prints back in those days?
No, these were one-off cards, painted by amateurs and sent to friends and relatives. It was all the rage from late Victorian times through the Edwardian era. Although you can still buy the postcard blanks - special card for watercolours - I haven't seen any post-1950 examples. The one below although being painted on a postcard was obviously sent in an envelope to protect it on its long journey to Australia. The Lincoln (Newport) Arch is an ancient Roman gateway in what's left of the walls of Lincoln. This card is of added interest as it is a very accurate copy of a "Jotter" card.

Below left the copy, and right the original "Jotter" commercial card - the amateur sure went to a lot of trouble. Sorry my scans aren't better.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Back in 2018 I purchased a hand painted card on eBay to adapt for use for as a Christmas card - the original (left) had a little foxing but with a little tinkering the result (right) was very pleasing.

I recently came across the original card which my artist must have used as his inspiration. The original, in my opinion, was far inferior to the copy - especially the very odd inclusion of the sunburst which completely ruins the picture. It's not the first time that I've come across this scenario but I find it interesting nonetheless. The original card was published by Woolstone Bros., in their Milton Series - 532 - and posted in 1903.

'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

These are such a lovely idea. A revival of hand painted cards would be great!
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

isha wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:11 pm These are such a lovely idea. A revival of hand painted cards would be great!
You can still buy special watercolour blanks with postcard style printing/address details on one side. I have never received one though - I mustn't be moving in the right circles.

https://www.strathmoreartist.com/cards- ... cards.html
'no more blah blah blah'
Uncle Frank

Post by Uncle Frank »

I remember seeing a painting contest once, you could paint anything you liked but it had to be postcard size.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

I think that was a fundraiser whereby well known people and artists donated a postcard and then people bid for them not knowing who was the painter?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Cobham wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:59 pm I think that was a fundraiser whereby well known people and artists donated a postcard and then people bid for them not knowing who was the painter?
It's an annual fundraiser now for the Jack & Jill Foundation https://www.jackandjill.ie/incognito21/ but they are postcard size paintings not postcards as such.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Another maritime one from my collection - the ill-fated S S “Guillemot” which was built in 1894 at the Campbeltown Shipbuilding Company in North West Scotland. On the 14th December, 1911, she sailed from London for the port of Genoa in Italy but soon hit bad weather which culminated in her foundering in the Bay of Biscay on the 21st December. Only seven of the 23 man crew were saved. - £7.49 on eBay including p+p.
'no more blah blah blah'
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

In our family we have several autograph books from early 20th Century. Several of the pages have lovely artwork, signed and dated. It seemed to be a thing to do, to be able to paint/draw like being able to play piano... but there were servants for the cooking!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Another great purchase on eBay this evening (£20 including p+p) for three very similar unused, hand-painted Dartmoor cards by the same artist as the one in post.5. They are from a different seller in the SW of England - I wonder how they became separated as none are postally used.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Just purchased this card on eBay tonight - the S.S.Stanley Hall cargo ship - a massive outlay of £5.09 incl.p+p.
The painting is a good likeness of the ship which was launched on Tyneside in 1894 and was scrapped at Rosyth in 1928.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

After a lean couple of months on the postcard front I picked up this little gem tonight - just £5.95 including p+p.
Posted in 1908 and probably dating from that year, I doubt the artist, the sender or the recipient have headaches anymore. Christchurch Priory is in Dorset and somehow survived King Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries. There's a lot of detail cleverly packed into a small postcard.

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

So is the signature on the front that of the artist?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

No, it was advertised that the signature on the front was that of the artist but the actual artist signed it on the bottom left close to the drawing - Iris Dere? I am going to have check the 1901 English census to try and find out more...
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

It seems to be a well "postcarded" location

Edit> Cool the way you can embed flickr links :)
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

My latest purchase, made this morning, is this 1930s view of Ballintoy, Co.Antrim and what it lacks in artistic ability it makes up for in simple charm and scarcity - hand painted Irish postcards are as rare as hens' teeth. A massive outlay of £3.70 involved!

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

This is not strictly a hand-painted card but a printed postcard of an original painting. It was published by the Scholastic Production Co., Belfast, in the late 1940s and by the elusive artist Robert Barlow of whom there is no trace. He was almost certainly a Northern Irish artist but despite many emails, letters and enquiries to all the right places - nothing!

It is the third of his cards that I have come across in seven years of searching and I purchased the other two as well. I picked up this one a few minutes ago on eBay - it broke the bank - £1.94 including p+p to Northern Ireland. The cards are printed on an unusual canvas finish and are like mini paintings.

"Tufted Duck Late Afternoon"
by Robert Barlow - dated 1948.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Another mercy purchase this morning - a pre 1907, untitled, unsigned and unposted card. A massive outlay, £1.49 including p+p, but I felt it deserved to be saved for posterity. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

My own latest venture into the almost defunct postcard market - printed by Vistaprint and superb quality as usual.
I purchased a large number (possibly all) of the original posters from a dealer in the George's Arcade in Dublin in the late 1970's. Apparently the posters were never sent out as the Dominion Line ships were requisitioned by the British government to transport troops to South Africa for the Boer War. Somehow the posters survived in a CIE office in the North Wall for 70+ years before being dumped in a skip! I used to buy them for IR £20/30 each but these days you would be lucky to pick one up for less than €250. All the ones that I owned came with pre-printed envelopes addressed to stations on the Great Southern & Western Railway.

I did well by keeping the best one for myself as many were well folded - the one on the left is a commercially available postcard. My one (on the right) has the same strong colours and very sharp but my phone let me down. :D

'no more blah blah blah'