Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Hand-painted postcards: quality art for buttons

Discuss antiques and other collectables
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Hand-painted postcards: quality art for buttons

Post by Del.Monte »

Today's impulse purchase. Not a high grade item but there's a certain charm about it and a great survivor at 105 years old! I'm still not sure where this is going but I am going to have do something worthwhile with the collection. Anyway at just £4.50 including postage it didn't break the bank. :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lethering ... _Glandford
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Early morning purchase on eBay today - and at £6 including postage - a bargain despite its poor condition. An ultra rare card and each one slightly different as they were individually hand painted by the amateur artist - Olive Adelaide Swanzy (1881-1974). I now have 26 different cards by the artist and have been lucky to pick up most of them for a pittance but it's the hours of searching that have gone into it......and I'm still not sure what the ultimate goal is.

This card was described thus: Slievenaman The Hut Artist Signed Postcard Newcastle ....with no reference to the OAS signature. I will endeavour to persevere. :D

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

After a hard day I needed something to cheer me up and this hand-painted postcard on eBay fitted the bill. Probably at least 100 years old and worth every penny of the £4.95 including postage. Chase Bridge, Ambergate, Derbyshire featuring a young boy fishing on the canal. It seems to have been inspired by a Raphael Tuck commercially published postcard of the same era and I have a number of similar cards.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

After weeks of fruitless searching I came across this card today and couldn't resist it at just over €15 including p+p from the States. Dating from 1913, and from a place in Indiana best known as a rallying point for the KKK, it's colourful and has a certain je ne sais quoi which is enough to gain it admittance into my exclusive collection. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

A rough one picked up yesterday for £5.25. including p+p. No date but early 20th century and featuring C.T.S Empress Training Ship at Row Pier. Inverclyde Scotland. Known as the Clyde Industrial Training Ship it was used to educate delinquent boys - was the card painted by one of them ?

Every year, the Empress accommodated and trained up to four hundred boys aged 12-15 years in the nautical arts. It was the second of two Clyde Industrial Training ships. The first was the Cumberland (1869 – 1889) which, when it was destroyed by arson, was replaced by the Admiralty with the Empress (1889 – 1923).

Both ships were overseen by the Clyde Industrial Training Ship Association which aimed to provide a home to receive, educate and train boys who had been left destitute and homeless through poverty, neglect or family loss. Ref: Glasgow City Archives.
'no more blah blah blah'