Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

And today's impulse purchase is:

Discuss antiques and other collectables
Del.Monte
Verified Username

And today's impulse purchase is:

Post by Del.Monte »

A 1930's (?) sketchbook with 27 colour and pen + ink sketches for just £40 including delivery. Only seven were shown in the listing so I'm gambling that the rest will be as good. The album is in bits but as soon as I came across it on eBay I knew that I had to have it. Okay the scenes are English rather than Irish but beggars can't be choosers and I have an idea for them. The seller is away until the 8th September - then they will go to a friend in Northern Ireland to avoid crazy postage charges - then they will be collected by a friend from Dublin who will ultimately drop them to me in the Sunny South East. It is a well oiled machine at this stage but the suspense always kills me.

'no more blah blah blah'
Memento Mori

Re: And today's impulse purchase is:

Post by Memento Mori »

Very cool
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Any idea of location? Chester? Can you make out the artist?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Cobham wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:29 pm Any idea of location? Chester? Can you make out the artist?
I haven't received them yet but they are all unsigned - a couple are marked Dorset and Suffolk. Some of the buildings are Chester like, but then that type of timber framed Tudor architecture is quite widespread in England.
'no more blah blah blah'
silverbirch

Post by silverbirch »

Your first picture is a copy of this (or at least the same street scene):

8eff286a-1f4f-11e7-8d2f-37286ccfd747.jpg
8eff286a-1f4f-11e7-8d2f-37286ccfd747.jpg (56.49 KiB) Viewed 9488 times
Attributed to Ernest Uden
https://suffolkartists.co.uk/index.cgi? ... r&pid=1268
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Thanks for that - somewhere to start my research from once I get the album.
'no more blah blah blah'
silverbirch

Post by silverbirch »

No problem Del. I thought the scene didn't quite look English so I did Google Lens on it. The original artist is English but I'm guessing the scene is fictitious. I think your sketchbook is an amateur artist's copies of different lesser known artworks and sketches, rather than originals - but that doesn't make it less interesting. Google Lens says the third picture is the Castle Inn, Chiddingstone. The original engraving is here:
http://www.dover-kent.com/2014-project- ... stone.html
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

More of a calculated purchase than an impulse one as I collect the artist - George Livingston (1920-1978). I already have quite a lot of his work and this is not his best but with an estimate of €60-120 I decided on a maximum of €30. It was about to be knocked down for €26 so I went mad and got it for €28. Too good to let slip at that price.

"Near Hilltown, Co.Down" - oil on board.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Not so much an impulse purchase as this is an artist that I collect whenever possible but a good luck one as it was unnamed in a general sale up north. I trawl a lot of general sales every week and just happened on this one last Monday while the sale was live. It failed to sell, and I was able to get a friend to make an offer the next day and collect it. Last of the big spenders, it set me back a massive £15! Not the artist's best work but I collect everything by him.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Another watercolour by William Huston purchased on eBay this morning. I paid £75 (€92.75) the full asking price despite trying several lower offers but as the sale wasn't scheduled to end until the 31st December, and there had been other offers, I had to go for it. More than I wanted to pay but it's still excellent value for a quality work. :D

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Another impulse eBay purchase made early this morning and a real bargain - reduced from £145 to £100 including p+p. I had contacted the artist about reproduction rights last night and this morning received a very friendly positive reply which I took as an omen!

It's my second by British artist Richard Duffield who these days is better known for his superb landscape paintings: https://www.richardduffieldscenicart.co.uk/ and ironically features the Great Spotted Woodpecker - a bird which I've yet to see despite the east of the country apparently being infested with them.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Cheating a little as this was bought at the end of March - so not today - but definitely an impulse purchase. Picked up at the recent Hibernian Antiques Tralee sale for just €10 (!) with a view to selling on. There will be a bit of work to do to find a buyer but there's potential for a decent return on my massive outlay. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Two 1950s catalogues from Shanahan's Stamp Auctions for just €12 on Adverts.ie

Most of you young folk will probably never have heard of Dr.Paul Singer and the Shanahan Stamp Auction Scandal that cost thousands of people their life savings back in 1959. I've always been interested in the story as my grandfather nearly got caught up in it as he was about to sell his stamp collection through Shanahan's when the wheels came off the wagon. By another strange coincidence Dr.Singer ended up buying my grandfather's family home in Foxrock and it was the scene of many of his lavish parties - see the video.

Singer patented a stamp auction pyramid scheme and it worked a treat for some years before a mysterious robbery brought the whole edifice crashing down. I'll leave the video to explain the story....

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

And today on eBay these two wonderful MacMillan Educational posters by the British wildlife artist Roland Green (1890-1972). They are in excellent condition despite what these poor scans might suggest and will look great when framed. Just £31 for the pair including p+p. They hold a special place in my heart as I remember them from happy times at primary school back in the 1960s. Each measures 21" x 17" - I like a big bang for my buck.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Two more this evening - I just can't resist retro stuff. Mixed Farming in Eire for just £11.60 incl. p+p and the fabulous Roland Green 'Birds of the Water-side' for £14.48 incl.p+p. Both are large (17" x 21") for the farming pic and (21" x 17) for the birds. Can't go wrong at those prices.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Cheating again but I only received this impulse purchase today despite having won it at auction in February 2018! All down to the auctioneers in Cork being unable to organise a courier. Still, I'm happy with it - €103.61 including commission - and delivered to me free of charge.
"Near Gweedore, Co.Donegal" by George David Livingston (1920 – 1978) a Belfast artist and I now have more than half a dozen of his paintings picked up for a pittance.

'no more blah blah blah'
quodec

Post by quodec »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:35 pm Cheating again but I only received this impulse purchase today despite having won it at auction in February 2018! All down to the auctioneers in Cork being unable to organise a courier. Still, I'm happy with it - €103.61 including commission - and delivered to me free of charge.
"Near Gweedore, Co.Donegal" by George David Livingston (1920 – 1978) a Belfast artist and I now have more than half a dozen of his paintings picked up for a pittance.

Not unlike Paul Henry’s works, Del. Big skies and distant mountains!!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I finally managed to escape from Enniscorthy and made it as as far as Castlebridge near Wexford town. The object of my desire - "Treasure Trove Antiques" https://www.treasuretrove.ie/ and, as the blurb says, three floors of antiques and furniture spread over three floors of an old maltings warehouse. Very well stocked and with many reasonably priced items for sale. Well laid out and very helpful staff. I picked up a couple of scarce books, plus a dinky item of royal memorabilia - the latter my impulse purchase and for just €2. :D

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Back to trains today and this really was an impulse purchase!

A friend sent me a Facebook link and after a wobble I went for it - all in the space of five minutes.

It's a 1950's print of No.800 "Maeve" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSR_Class_800 published by CIE and printed by Browne & Nolan.To me the colour is a bit off when compared with the real thing which is preserved at the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum in Cultra, County Down.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I'm really losing the plot and today I bought this retro 1988 Dublin Millennium milk bottle for €10 on Adverts.ie........my first one came free with the milk delivery in 1988. I remember being so disgusted with makey-up commemorations at the time that I broke it up and set in concrete over a yard entrance to prevent access to scrotes. I do have a couple of other milk bottles in my collection so it won't be out of place. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:33 pm that I broke it up and set in concrete over a yard entrance to prevent access to scrotes. :mrgreen:

Judge Judy would have a field day with you over your security measures... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Today I sold two paintings by Joe Pilkington (Eamon Maher from the Riordans) and so felt justified in going mad and splashing out on this print from a 1971 edition of Child Education Magazine. It cost me all of €29.68 including p+p and I have been watching it on Etsy since early last year. It's a real gem and it's a good size too - 18" x 23" - and by a noted British wildlife painter David Ellis Pratt (1911 - 1988). I also had a little help from Paddy Power yesterday - they are one of the sponsors of my art collection. :mrgreen:

"Last days of Winter".
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:33 pm I'm really losing the plot and today I bought this retro 1988 Dublin Millennium milk bottle for €10 on Adverts.ie........my first one came free with the milk delivery in 1988. I remember being so disgusted with makey-up commemorations at the time that I broke it up and set in concrete over a yard entrance to prevent access to scrotes. I do have a couple of other milk bottles in my collection so it won't be out of place. :mrgreen:

Your post remined that at the time my Brother got one of the Millennium 50 pence that were commissioned. He was convinced that in years to come it worth a lot of money. Its current value is around 3 euros. He wont be earning a fortune any time soon :D
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I have one of those Millenium milk bottles with me here in France, also collected from the doorstep at the time. :mrgreen:

Del has "cheated" on this thread so much, I think it's only reasonable that I be allowed post this "impulse" purchase here, which wasn't at all impulsive: I've had my eye on it for over a year, as it sat mouldering in a pile of miscellaneous scrap metal in a yard down the road. Not any more; as of this afternoon, it'll moulder in my yard. :lol:

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

How nice, what is it? If you sprayed it gold and put it on a plinth it would be 'art'. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'