Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The Colour Room on Sky TV

Discuss antiques and other collectables
Del.Monte
Verified Username

The Colour Room on Sky TV

Post by Del.Monte »

Quite by chance I heard a snippet about this movie on Newstalk's 'The Home Show' this morning and as I have more than a passing interest in the Clarice Cliff story my ears pricked up. Clarice Cliff worked her way up from humble beginnings to become one of the most famous Art Deco designers of the 1930's. She went onto to marry Colley Shorter the owner of both A.J.Wilkinson's and Newport potteries and the rest is history as they say.
My grandfather's sister Elsie Lett married Guy Shorter (Uncle Guy) - Colley Shorter's brother - and that's where my interest in Clarice Cliff comes from. Growing up with my grandparents I knew something of the personalities involved but was far too young to be interested in the details so I'm looking forward to the warts and all tale from Sky!

My grandparents had a wonderful collection of special Clarice Cliff ceramics including a Crocus pattern tea service which was a wedding present from the Shorters. The tea service, long since sold off by me, was my grandmother's pride and joy and only used on special occasions. By strange coincidence, the last time that I can remember the set being used was when Father Micheál MacGréil, SJ, (Western Rail Corridor) campaigner, came to tea in the early 1980s. It is truly a very small world! I wonder what secrets the movie will reveal? :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'

Re: The Colour Room on Sky TV

Post by 490808 »

Downloading it now :oops:

From the intro it looks like some of it was filmed at the same old pottery as the Great Pottery Throw Down.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

A lot of it was filmed at the Gladstone Pottery Museum in Stoke-on-Trent https://www.stokemuseums.org.uk/gpm/ - a great museum with an even better cafe - I was there on honeymoon.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

https://filmbirmingham.co.uk/2021/03/gr ... hrow-down/
The Great Pottery Throw Down Filming Locations

Built in 1888, Middleport Pottery, located in Port Street in Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, served as the show’s filming site for three seasons of the competition show. However, fans may notice that it is no longer filmed at the nineteenth-century port bank. Well, that is because the production team chose a different location to film the fourth season of ‘The Great Pottery Throw Down.’ The shooting for season 4 was done at Gladstone Pottery Museum in Stoke-on-Trent.