Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What are you paying for your diesel/petrol?

Four wheels good
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: What are you paying for your diesel/petrol?

Post by CelticRambler »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:42 pm The French are paying 2.11 for diesel at the moment (at least in my neck of the woods - it's dearer in other parts of the country) and not wrecking any places.
My partial fill last Sunday cost 2.14/l. Was a bit of a bummer, as I could have had it for 2.07 on the Friday, but I was buying half for the camper, half for the digger and was wary of keeping a 20l jerry-can of the juice simmering in my living/sleeping space all weekend in 40°C heat. :(
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I'm giving serious thought to getting a fill of home heating oil now. I normally get a full in Sept/Oct but I'm afraid of shortages later
quodec

Post by quodec »

Diesel dropped Back to 202.9 in Dundalk today! Still horribly dear but at least it’s something!
quodec

Post by quodec »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:14 pm I'm giving serious thought to getting a fill of home heating oil now. I normally get a full in Sept/Oct but I'm afraid of shortages later
Just filled up my heating oil tank (from half to full) today with my usual supplier. Got it at 129 per litre - and happy enough. Delivery man advised the price has been variable and chaotic this past while (up 3c one day, down 3c the next type of thing), but the autumn/winter is very very uncertain. Fuel shortages, ESB outages etc etc. All conjecture of course, but in his 20+ years of oil delivery he's never seen it so volatile!
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

quodec wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:44 pm Just filled up my heating oil tank (from half to full) today with my usual supplier. Got it at 129 per litre - and happy enough. Delivery man advised the price has been variable and chaotic this past while (up 3c one day, down 3c the next type of thing), but the autumn/winter is very very uncertain. Fuel shortages, ESB outages etc etc. All conjecture of course, but in his 20+ years of oil delivery he's never seen it so volatile!
The more I think about it, the more I'm tempted not to wait until September

Post by 765489 »

Same here, going to fill up the tank shortly.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Saw the first sub €2 a litre diesel price in mid-Louth today. Wasn't expecting that, but apparently some forecourts are dropping their prices as there is reduced footfall in the attached shops.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

quodec wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:43 pm Saw the first sub €2 a litre diesel price in mid-Louth today. Wasn't expecting that, but apparently some forecourts are dropping their prices as there is reduced footfall in the attached shops.
Oh now it dawns on the shops that making things expensive deters customers and they loose sales!

I can see that happening with hotels here next year. I've seen it with hire cars already.

Post by 765489 »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:07 am The more I think about it, the more I'm tempted not to wait until September
Was checking the price of Kero with my local supplier this morning, was 760 euro for 500 litres two week ago, 730 last week and now 689 this morning. Wonder will it keep dropping 😀
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:44 am Was checking the price of Kero with my local supplier this morning, was 760 euro for 500 litres two week ago, 730 last week and now 689 this morning. Wonder will it keep dropping 😀
Fingers crossed as I've not ordered it yet.....
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

Yesterday morning, my local Applegreen dropped their prices through the floor (relatively speaking) - €2.05 to €1.79. I received word on the vine, a "blink and you'll miss it" event. By the time I landed, there was a queue twenty strong backed up on both sides of the road. Everyone was good tempered, plenty to go around. After fifteen minutes it was my turn and filled her to the brim. Only on leaving the forecourt that the panic wagons showed, turning for home I encountered a tail nearly a kilometre long. Thank f*ck for opportune timing, a half hour later Applegreen reset the scales and many a disappointed motorist cursed their luck.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
Gooser14

Post by Gooser14 »

Newport Tipperary prices recently dropped to €199.9 per ltr for petrol & diesel.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Berties_Horse wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:18 pm Yesterday morning, my local Applegreen dropped their prices through the floor (relatively speaking) - €2.05 to €1.79. I received word on the vine, a "blink and you'll miss it" event. By the time I landed, there was a queue twenty strong backed up on both sides of the road. Everyone was good tempered, plenty to go around. After fifteen minutes it was my turn and filled her to the brim. Only on leaving the forecourt that the panic wagons showed, turning for home I encountered a tail nearly a kilometre long. Thank f*ck for opportune timing, a half hour later Applegreen reset the scales and many a disappointed motorist cursed their luck.
Should never be allowed happen without proper traffic management. I tried to get through Tullow that morning and the whole town was taken up with the queue for the Applegreen. In the latter stages when you did get a chance to go out past them, some of of the rotten tramps would pull out of the queue to stop you out of fear I was as big an idiot as they were when all I wanted to do was get past.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Diesel at 1.78/l in the local supermarket today, and for the last few days, but only one chain. Other fuels also at exceptionally low prices ... if there's any left. I suspect it's a deliberate ploy to get the holiday public to do their Big Shop for the week in the hypermarket next door.

I only went to get 20l for the digger, but took another 20l for the camper in case I get it into my head to go on a trip somewhere instead of getting back to working in the garden.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Got €80 of diesel today in Dundalk @ 185.9 per litre, the lowest I've paid in a long time! Hope it continues.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I paid 182 a litre in Bandon over the weekend

Edit - diesel!
quodec

Post by quodec »

The word on the ground is that prices for petrol, diesel and kerosene are starting to go up again. A lot of the local filling stations have car fuel back to 1.90+. Likewise with home heating fuel, only going one way. Summer's over folks, time to dig out the winter woolies, I'm afraid as it looks like its going to be a long season of discontent!
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Here in the last great communist country in Europe, our government has very kindly upped the subsidy offered for all motor fuels, and "strongly encouraged" the profiteering patriotic Total to make a significant gesture too. The result: 1.60-1.65/l for diesel ... if you can get it! Just about all the vehicle-driving foreigners still holidaying in France have bought all that they can fit in their tanks (and jerry cans, judging by the empty space on the jerry-can shelves in the supermarket) before heading home.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Diesel back down to 185.9 at my regular filling station in Dundalk. Better than nothing I suppose.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Diesel back over the €2 mark in most Louth outlets this weekend. And with imminent Russian oil/diesel prohibition, it looks like the prices are only going to go one way !!!
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Well, I'm glad I've a petrol car.

What's annoying is it's a 2.0 TSi that does to drink whenever I think about pushing the loud pedal
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Well now ... whodhathunk it? I'm sure it's entirely coincidental, but somehow it feels like our local motor fuel suppliers - all of them - might (just might) have put their prices up by (very roughly) exactly the same amount as the government's hard-times subsidy. :roll:

My last fill was "cheap" at 1.85/l after taking account of the 30ct/l discount (other forecourts were selling diesel for 1.90-ish at the time). Ten days ago, the rebate was reduced to 10ct/l, with a run on the pumps in the days immediately prior to the change. Today, I paid 1.80/l, and the highest price I saw anywhere other than on a motorway was 1.85.
quodec

Post by quodec »

I saw petrol at one filling station in Dundalk at 161.9 per litre yesterday. Locally, that's the cheapest I've seen it for a long time.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

quodec wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:31 pm I saw petrol at one filling station in Dundalk at 161.9 per litre yesterday. Locally, that's the cheapest I've seen it for a long time.
That's a LOT cheaper than what I can remember seeing down in Cork
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

162.3 yesterday. Got a full tank, but it won't be enough to get me all the way to the coast, where the prices are again around 163/164. Here in the mountainous middle, 167-170 seems to be the norm.

A very definite - and welcome - downward trend all the same.