Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What are you paying for your diesel/petrol?

Four wheels good
quodec

What are you paying for your diesel/petrol?

Post by quodec »

Probably a bit retro now, with a lot of motorists switching to EVs, but thought I would introduce this topic anyway for the new year, to see what you are paying for your fuel around the country - or even abroad!

Anyway, I put €50.00 diesel into my Passat today in Jones Oil, Dundalk and paid 150.9c per litre, which I think at the present time is reasonable value. Anyone else paying less?
Hairy-Joe

Re: What are you paying for your diesel/petrol?

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I've a Circle K fuel card and I get 4c off a litre the posted price.

I found that some vehicles can be fussy about diesel. Two of them at home run a lot better on miles plus diesel with better pickup and power. Trying to join a motorway with a loaded Ducato you quickly realised what fuel gives best performance (as it's foot to the floor stuff)
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Will be setting off on my irregularly regular 600km commute tomorrow and expecting to pay 1.555€/litre for the first fill. Might be able to push on a bit further to get that down to 1.53, but it'd be a bit tight. On the other hand, the major retailers often do cost-price promos at the weekends at this time of the year, price-matching the out-of-town centres trying to get people to spend money after the holidays. Should be able to get under 1.50 by the time I get to the East.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

1.53 in the end - lowest price in a 200 km radius! That fill will get me to my destination now.
quodec

Post by quodec »

quodec wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:09 pm Probably a bit retro now, with a lot of motorists switching to EVs, but thought I would introduce this topic anyway for the new year, to see what you are paying for your fuel around the country - or even abroad!

Anyway, I put €50.00 diesel into my Passat today in Jones Oil, Dundalk and paid 150.9c per litre, which I think at the present time is reasonable value. Anyone else paying less?
Back to the same place on Saturday. Diesel now 153.9c and was told it will probably be more expensive sooner rather than later!
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Same here: my weekend fill was 1.585 - up 3ct/l on what I expected to pay last week.

(Just as an aside: I was in Germany last month, parked beside a filling station for three days, and they changed the prices seven times between when I arrived and when I left! :o )
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

CelticRambler wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:05 pm Same here: my weekend fill was 1.585 - up 3ct/l on what I expected to pay last week.

(Just as an aside: I was in Germany last month, parked beside a filling station for three days, and they changed the prices seven times between when I arrived and when I left! :o )
That's daft.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Petrol is 169.9 in Bandon. That's what was displayed on the pump
CJhaughey
Verified Username

Post by CJhaughey »

I agree with the Miles plus diesel. It really makes a big difference in my Honda Accord. I haven't tried it yet in the Ducato but maybe I should give it a lash, it would be a hard pill to swallow at the moment though. I think its 170.9 at the pump and I have an 8cpl card discount at the moment.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I had a '15 reg Ducato touring Germany for a few weeks on holidays (pre Covid). I used to always get premium diesel there (Shell or BP typically). I got used to a certain acceleration down the autobahn slip roads trying go get the 'van up to motorway speeds. A few weeks and a few tanks of diesel at home, I was trying to join the motorway outside Limerick. The drop in power/acceleration by using Irish ordinary diesel was noticeable. It was so noticeable that I got the yoke checked out. It was fine, just typically shite Irish diesel.

I run Miles Plus diesel in the current Ducato camper when I can.

As an aside, I always get much better fuel consumption when on the continent after a week or two, even with hours spent on the autobahn/autoroute/etc
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Out of curiosity, what's your typical/average consumption? I'm still evaluating my new turn-of-the-century engine, but with one inexplicably high value, it's coming out very slightly more efficient that the newer old one it replaced. Still a wallet-pinching 12.5l/100km though.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

At home here in Ireland I get 10.5l/100km. I get 9.5l/100km in Spain, France and Germany. The worst was about 11.5L/100km but that was on a 500km run on the A66 in Spain. There was about 12km of a climb that was foot to the bulkhead on that run.

It's a 2.3l 130PS but still not run in fully. There's another one at home that's 3/4 tonne heavier and automatic that's getting close to 9L/100km. That's run in fully.
CJhaughey
Verified Username

Post by CJhaughey »

I get exactly the same 10.5 on my 2015 L4H3 Ducato, it is also the 2.3 130.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ah that's mildly reassuring - mine is a 2.8l, high and heaaavvvy so an extra couple of l/100km is probably reasonable. I really notice the difference, though, when barrelling into the Mistral and Tremontane winds down south. Dropping down to 80km/h is the only way to keep under teens/100 then.

On the other hand, my mountain driving is generally the most economical. Or at least it was; haven't had a chance yet to really put the new-old engine to the test on a proper 3000m climb! Maybe this weekend ... :geek:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

CelticRambler wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:05 pm Same here: my weekend fill was 1.585 - up 3ct/l on what I expected to pay last week.
... and up another 3ct this weekend, 1.612. Small comfort that my consumption in the mountains has dropped to 11.3l/100km, presumably because I only use the fuel going up! :mrgreen:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ooof - another 5ct added this weekend, and only as "little" as that because I avoided all the stations charging 1.70 and upwards. :cry:

Post by 490808 »

WOW, was in the UK this week and the robbing motorway service stations were looking for £1.66 for petrol.

I filled up in Morrisons (only E10) at iirc £1.33
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I must be daft as I'm going ordering a car this weekend. I'm going from a 2.0 diesel to a 2.0 petrol turbo.....
I'll spend a lot more now on fuel
quodec

Post by quodec »

1.62 a litre for diesel yesterday in Dundalk. In 42 years of filling fuel tanks that's probably the dearest I've ever paid!!!!!
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Well, it's going to rocket up now.....
quodec

Post by quodec »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:31 am Well, it's going to rocket up now.....
I have an old bike in the shed......maybe.....!!!!
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

quodec wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:14 pm 1.62 a litre for diesel yesterday in Dundalk. In 42 years of filling fuel tanks that's probably the dearest I've ever paid!!!!!
:cry: And there I was thinking I'd got a bargain in finding two suppliers along my route on Saturday selling it for 1.643 when the average price here is around 1.68-1.70/litre.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

quodec wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:14 am I have an old bike in the shed......maybe.....!!!!
Oh I've two in the shed. Bringing back a load of groceries from Tesco on the back of the bike is hard though
quodec

Post by quodec »

Joined a queue of cars waiting to fill this morning in Dundalk and paid 174.9 for a litre of diesel. The guy on the till said the price was constantly changing. I remember back in the day having to queue up due to petrol shortages. That vibe is out there again!

Edit: The first post on this thread had me buying at 150.9 - just 8 weeks ago!