Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What are you paying for your diesel/petrol?

Four wheels good
quodec

Re: What are you paying for your diesel/petrol?

Post by quodec »

David McWilliams, in his latest podcast, is predicting a shortage of diesel soon, especially if the EU bite the bullet and put sanctions on oil/diesel out of Russia. I'm currently running two diesel cars at the moment. Me thinks that their residuals will begin to fall this year.

Post by 765489 »

quodec wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:26 am David McWilliams, in his latest podcast, is predicting a shortage of diesel soon, especially if the EU bite the bullet and put sanctions on oil/diesel out of Russia. I'm currently running two diesel cars at the moment. Me thinks that their residuals will begin to fall this year.
Considering there was a large clamour to get the Russian ship carrying over 2 million litres worth of diesel turned away from Dublin port a few weeks ago, even though the state had already paid for it, I've no doubt we will have diesel shortages in the coming months. The problem is diesel is not just used in cars. We have a lot of industries dependent on it.
quodec

Post by quodec »

190c a litre for diesel around Dundalk now. Recently traded in wife’s 1.6l Golf for a 1.0 petrol Golf. Not considering an EV yet, but might start investigations soon! Brent crude rising too, so who knows where all this is going!
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I'm in Spain at the moment and diesel is advertised at around 1.95 to 2.05 a litre. That's mainly on the motorways. I've no other prices as that's where I've been filling up.

However, there's a 25c per liter back on the advertised prices so I'm paying about 1.70 to 1.80 a litre. I'll be coming home with a full tank......
quodec

Post by quodec »

I paid 209.9 for petrol in Dundalk today. No sign of anyone worrying about this yet, and still lots of traffic out and about. It’ll be interesting to see at what price things will start to change socially (visibly less vehicles on the roads)!
Last edited by quodec on Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gooser14

Post by Gooser14 »

I paid 192.9 (after 2c SPAR discount) for diesel on Tuesday last at the Parkway Roundabout Service Station Limerick
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Well it was 205 a litre for petrol in Innishannon when I was getting petrol for the lawnmower. It was the first time I shopped the pump based on monetary value rather than volume. I stopped it at €10.

I'm questioning my sanity as I'm replacing a diesel car with a 2.0 petrol turbo car (car ordered but not delivered)
Frank

Post by Frank »

I don’t know what they actually pay as I’ve a fuel card from work, but the pump said €2 for diesel and €2.08 for petrol the other day.

Post by 765489 »

Put 10 euros in the car yesterday evening and filled two of the red cans for my lawnmower jobs in the garden. Broke my heart when I looked up at the display.

I'm wondering should I fill up the kerosene for the winter heating now rather than wait till it's completely through the roof later in the year.
quodec

Post by quodec »

I heard kerosene shot up after the new oil sanctions on Russsia kicked earlier this week, but have no specific details.

Post by 765489 »

I paid 450 euros for 500 litres in January, just checked it there with same supplier and its now 740 euros for 500 litres. :o

I may start looking for fallen Ash trees..
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

I've seen a few people getting home heating oil deliveries in the last week - never saw this before at this time of year. I'd be concerned about having the oil robbed. I'm not sure how easy it is to secure an oil tank, locks are no use as they'll just drill a hole in the tank and wreck it as well as taking the oil.

Next winter could get ugly, very ugly. Recent winters have been milder than average here, if we get an average winter or a very bad one (December 2010) what will happen.

I'm subscribed to a Solar PV group on Facebook, there is massive interest and borderline panic to get panels, heat pumps, diverters, electric cars etc. Suppliers are swamped with work - and as always happens when demand exceeds supply, cowboy installers and scammers will be licking their lips.

Post by 765489 »

Would never be considering it myself at this time of the year but the way the prices are going I can only see them going upwards. Only thing I'd be doing with the heating this time of the year is switching it on so the waterpump doesn't seize up during the summer.

A local business here had a 1000 litres of diesel stolen a few weeks ago. On cctv it showed them transferring it using 20 litre drums ! Scumbags.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I'm thinking of getting a fill of kerosene for home in Aug/Sept. That's when I normally get it and I'm hoping that we will have a Ukraine victory by then.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Travelled to Longford, Mayo and Sligo over the holiday weekend and noticed practically all filling stations on the journey had petrol over the €2 a litre mark, while diesel was still under €2 and in the 1.90s generally.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

As an aside, something interesting. I brought back a full tank of Spanish diesel in the camper and drove away until I had less than a quarter tank. I filled with Irish diesel and again drive away until quarter tank. I got better economy (about 1l/100km) on Spanish diesel. Same vehicle, same driver, same roads and same driving style.

Post by 765489 »

FVEis3YXwAAzZu0.jpeg
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Travelled from West Cork to outside Portlaoise over the weekend and back (twice!). Diesel everywhere seemed to be €2.05 and petrol €2.15.
quodec

Post by quodec »

209.9 for diesel at my usual outlet in Dundalk today. That’s a 60 cent increase in five months, since the first week in January (see the first post on this thread). No riots on the streets yet and traffic flowing a plenty, so there’s a good bit to go before there’s a collective baulk at this☹️
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I have noticed that people seem to be travelling a bit slower than before. I know I've gone down be 5kph to 10 kph on the main roads
Frank

Post by Frank »

That’s only letting Ryan win. We should wreck the place like the French do.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Frank wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:25 pm That’s only letting Ryan win. We should wreck the place like the French do.
The French are paying 2.11 for diesel at the moment (at least in my neck of the woods - it's dearer in other parts of the country) and not wrecking any places.
Frank

Post by Frank »

They still have far bigger spines than we do.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Frank wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:22 pm They still have far bigger spines than we do.
Any yellow vests you could lend me........anyone??
quodec

Post by quodec »

Well, I broke the €100 barrier today, in putting that amount of diesel into the nearly empty tank. 209.9/ltr in Jones Oil, Dundalk and on a quick trip out of the town going south, the cheapest by several cents. That's the end of any fuel in below the €2 a litre barrier for the foreseeable.