Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What are you paying for your diesel/petrol?

Four wheels good

Re: What are you paying for your diesel/petrol?

Post by 490808 »

quodec wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:20 pm 1.79 for diesel at Tesco/Certa in Dundalk. Huge queues!!!
If you you had a crystal ball and posted that 12 months ago you'd have been laughed at.

I can remember in the UK when it was big news when petrol broke the 10 shillings (50p) a gallon barrier (probably 1969 ish?). So back then a liter would have been about 13 pence (old money) and about €0.16 a liter :shock:

I know decimalisation wasn't to hoodwink everyone in to price rises but it does make it more difficult to compare when you look back a long way.

Some interesting reminising https://bygonesderby.wordpress.com/2012 ... r-cost-40/
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

In best Smeagol voice: wots "shillings", Precious? :mrgreen:

And, for that matter wots a "liter" ? :P
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:35 pm In best Smeagol voice: wots "shillings", Precious? :mrgreen:

And, for that matter wots a "liter" ? :P
Way back before decimal in the early 60's the government thieves stole your silver coinage, that actually contained a percentage of pure silver. And replaced it with cupro nickel shite. Or washers as i call them. Todays coinage is magnetic like washers.

And I remember the "promise to pay the bearer silver in exchange for a poundnote, that promise too was removed from the poundnotes over night too.

Dirty scoundrels.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

:( Hit a new "low" on Friday - 2.15€/litre which was still a relatively good deal compared to the more typical 2.22 displayed on most of my journey. The greatest challenge right now is figuring out how far I can push on before the cost of the next top-up exceeds the maximum authorised amount at the pump. Friday's fill came in at 122€ for a max of 130€. Oof! But it did get me all the way home.

Our government here has announced that we're all going to get a rebate of 15cts a litre ... from 1st April. Feck! :evil: My next commute will be on the 27th March.

Post by 490808 »

Can't remember the exact amount but Tesco in Waterford had the price of both sub €1.80 during the week. I remember petrol was cheaper than Diesel at about €1.75.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Bit the bullet and paid €189.9 for diesel in Dundalk today! Cheaper elsewhere but wasn't prepared to queue up. So, good value in an paradoxical sort of way!!!!

Post by 490808 »

quodec wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:26 pm Bit the bullet and paid €189.9 for diesel in Dundalk today! Cheaper elsewhere but wasn't prepared to queue up. So, good value in an paradoxical sort of way!!!!
Just convince yourself that all the guys queuing up were burning fuel decreasing the value of the lower price.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Something funny with your Username and you don't exist if you click on your name beneath you avatar!
'no more blah blah blah'
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:28 pm Something funny with your Username and you don't exist if you click on your name beneath you avatar!
That user's account has been deactivated by request.

Post by 765489 »

Guburnor wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:01 pm That user's account has been deactivated by request.
Good poster bites the dust. Best of luck CO. Enjoyed your posts man.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I paid 187.9 a litre today for diesel in Bishopstown. The fuel card made it 183.9. I got about 60L. The bloody wallet felt it......
quodec

Post by quodec »

The cost of refining diesel shooting up, with prices going back up to around €2 a litre or more. Yet the good weather over the weekend had everybody out on their afternoon cruises without a care in the world! I wonder at what price will the penny drop, €2.50 a litre, €3 a litre?
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Paid €1.48 for Adblue at the pump yesterday. Up from €0.49 the last time I bought it! :o :shock: :x
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

On the first leg of my commute at the weekend, I hit the pump max (118€ ) before filling the tank. That was at 2.02€/l and that max is relatively low for these parts, even at the "old" prices. But it was a sort of blessing in disguise: after my overnight stop, I woke up to an offer of 1.999/€ at the nearest filling station, which was the cheapest I saw for all of the rest of the day.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Oh I've had a €100 put in and it only moved the needle a small bit recently. It's the curse/blessing of having a 120L tank.....
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:51 pm ... a 120L tank.....
I'm jealous. :cry:
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

It's a blessing on one way. "Geez I've travelled for ages and the needle hardly moved". It's a curse then when it comes to fill it. "Are you sure there's no bottomless pit in that tank?"
quodec

Post by quodec »

I paid 183.9 for diesel in Dundalk today. Was expecting to pay more if I'm honest so reasonably happy. Keeping the car topped up is my priority....just in case!
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

CelticRambler wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:06 pm On the first leg of my commute at the weekend ... 2.02€/l and ... 1.999/€
Well - our government's 18ct/l rebate kicked in on the 1st of April and whaddyaknow, it's damnably hard to find a filling station selling fuel at 18ct less than they were last week. I passed one major supermarket outlet this evening still selling bog-standard diesel at 1.93/l :evil: Funnily enough, the current Bad Boy of the energy sector - Total - is the only chain showing a significant price drop (I think they answered the government's invitation to "top-up" the rebate out of the goodness of their hearts ... :roll: ) and their price was advertised at 1.785/l at several stations.

Only there was a catch: they didn't have any diesel to sell. :x Between (not) walking and dancing yesterday, I called in to one station (not Total) to get a fill: no diesel at all. No problem, I thought, I have all day tomorrow to get some. Well, it took me nearly all day to find somewhere that hadn't run out, and wasn't still charging rip-off prices. Eventually got my fill at 1.83, from a Total tank, a price I begrudgingly paid because it means I won't have to stop for fuel when I head home next Friday.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

The trouble getting diesel CR has me worried. I'm heading to Spain for a bit of a driving holiday in 3 weeks and now thinking would I have trouble getting it. It's the motorway down from Bilbao and getting back I'm thinking about
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I think it's mainly due to people being forewarned of the (supposed) 18ct drop, so they've been holding off getting a decent fill for the last fortnight, and now all gone mad this weekend. I wouldn't have bothered filling right up this evening except for the fact that I want to make a fast getaway on Friday. Nothing worse than being on the road and making good progress, but then having to detour after only a half an hour or an hour because there's nothing left in the tank. :(

There's a separate situation in and around Strasbourg (and in NW Switzerland) which has to do with the level of Rhine making it difficult for tanker-barges to carry full loads to the distribution points, but that's well off your route to Bilbao.

One minor :mrgreen: moment arising from an otherwise stressful quest: the guy ahead of me abandoned his purchase at the diesel-only pump, giving me "ahhhh-feck" vibes :x until I got the green light with my own card and saw that I'd been cleared for a maximum authorised purchase of ... ... ... 850€'s worth! :lol:
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Last Friday, the local Circle K had diesel at 199.9. Today, it's 192.9. Petrol was down by 5c.

What was worse was some arse parked across two pumps, blocking them both.

Post by 765489 »

I got down off a tractor yesterday evening as I met a neighbour out cutting wood. Good three quarters of an hour talking with him and hopped back up onto the tractor, engine still running and taught to myself, you fecking eejit why did you leave the tractor running burning precious diesel like that.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:17 pm I got down off a tractor yesterday evening as I met a neighbour out cutting wood. Good three quarters of an hour talking with him...
Ncdjd2 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:03 pm I'm infected with the dreaded covid zombie disease since yesterday.

Post by 765489 »

Staying well back and in a large field.