Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

NCT Backlog.

Four wheels good
kadman
Verified Username

NCT Backlog.

Post by kadman »

My car was due for its NCT way back in Nov 2021. But between a heart attack, hospitalization on 2 occasions for 2 stent procedures, that pushed the test to the back burner.
So recovered now and the car is all good and ready for a test, I tried to book one today.
Shock/horror much to my dismay there is a 3 month backlog at my local NCT centre. The last week in May was the earliest.

Not what I expected or wanted, so I need some way of getting a cancellation, if any. I am not on any public service route and 20 km from my hospital, so this backlog is not a good thing for me.

Re: NCT Backlog.

Post by 490808 »

Isn't there some guarantee that you can get one within 4 weeks or you get a free test?

You have to phone up and push for it to get that sorted or at least that's how it used to work? I'm sure I played that card a few years back?

Failing that iirc you may find that cancellations are added to the online booking system at the same time each night. Think it was 9 or 10 pm (I think I posted about it on the other site) but that's how I get my bookings. Normally takes 2-3 evenings of checking at that time to get a booking within a week or so.

Post by 765489 »

kadman wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:04 pm My car was due for its NCT way back in Nov 2021. But between a heart attack, hospitalization on 2 occasions for 2 stent procedures, that pushed the test to the back burner.
So recovered now and the car is all good and ready for a test, I tried to book one today.
Shock/horror much to my dismay there is a 3 month backlog at my local NCT centre. The last week in May was the earliest.

Not what I expected or wanted, so I need some way of getting a cancellation, if any. I am not on any public service route and 20 km from my hospital, so this backlog is not a good thing for me.
Know any local second hand car dealers Kadman ? Fella that keeps a couple of cars in my yard seems to be able to get cars NCT'D whenever he has to at short notice.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Thanks for reminding me. Mine is due in April and I was thinking I had loads of time
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

The Continental Op wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:16 pm Isn't there some guarantee that you can get one within 4 weeks or you get a free test?

You have to phone up and push for it to get that sorted or at least that's how it used to work? I'm sure I played that card a few years back?

Failing that iirc you may find that cancellations are added to the online booking system at the same time each night. Think it was 9 or 10 pm (I think I posted about it on the other site) but that's how I get my bookings. Normally takes 2-3 evenings of checking at that time to get a booking within a week or so.
I must check that out. Now that you mention it I remember that free test thing. I must check that too
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Just spent the last 45 minutes going through every nct listing on their website. The nearest date I can get anywhere was May 23rd, Mullingar.
I checked portlaoise and there was one for Saturday 27th February, this weekend. I thought great, and booked in for the appointment, someone pipped me at the post. And the new date on Portlaoise was set for 23rd May

Post by 490808 »

kadman wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:11 pm Just spent the last 45 minutes going through every nct listing on their website. The nearest date I can get anywhere was May 23rd, Mullingar.
I checked portlaoise and there was one for Saturday 27th February, this weekend. I thought great, and booked in for the appointment, someone pipped me at the post. And the new date on Portlaoise was set for 23rd May
Try that a few more times you should get one nearer home and a better date sooner or later.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Still trying.

Post by 765489 »

Reminds me of in the job someone was trying to get tickets to U2 off ticketmaster. She had about 10 people in the office ready and refreshing the site. Maybe we could rally the users of Gubu to get poor Kadman his NCT slot :lol:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:28 pm Reminds me of in the job someone was trying to get tickets to U2 off ticketmaster. She had about 10 people in the office ready and refreshing the site. Maybe we could rally the users of Gubu to get poor Kadman his NCT slot :lol:
It would be all the worse if we were still on dial up :lol:

Post by 490808 »

kadman wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:25 pmStill trying.
What I mean is other nights. Once you have watched and tried a couple of nights you'll see what time the cancelled slots come on line so won't need to waste too much time checking.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

The Continental Op wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:41 pm What I mean is other nights. Once you have watched and tried a couple of nights you'll see what time the cancelled slots come on line so won't need to waste too much time checking.
Its always going to be a hit and miss affair no matter how i go about it. I made an online e mail booking for a priority NCT test.
They said they would contact me in two weeks to arrange one :lol:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Magic.

I kept checking and re checking, and refreshing. And at 11.40 the Feb 27 slot came up a gain.
I successfully booked for Sunday morning at 10.55

Woo Hoo.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Great job there CO, thanks for the tip. Perseverance paid off ;)
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:30 am Thanks for reminding me. Mine is due in April and I was thinking I had loads of time
Reporting back, I've long fingered this again......
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Well, I finally got off my ar$e and went to book the NCT. The earliest date I could get was 02-AUG!!!!

It may be something to due with the extra time added to everyone's NCT due to the pandemic. The disc on the windows says due April but the website says due Aug.

Ah well, time for the long finger again!
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:56 am Well, I finally got off my ar$e and went to book the NCT. The earliest date I could get was 02-AUG!!!!

It may be something to due with the extra time added to everyone's NCT due to the pandemic. The disc on the windows says due April but the website says due Aug.

Ah well, time for the long finger again!
Keep checking, cancellations appear up all the time. It may not be your first choice centre but you'll certainly pick one up within a day or two.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Cancellations come up on the NCT website between 9.30 and 12 at night. And its an instantaneous refresh.
I checked constantly over the couple of hours, and all were flagged at 3 months away.
Seconds later I got a cancellation for a day later.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

I'm a goody two shoes who starts thinking about the NCT three months before the expiry date and have usually managed to get a new cert by the expiry date or often well before it.

Check NCT booking site, if no suitable slot check again the next day and the next. Chances are you'll get a suitable slot within a day or two.
quodec

Post by quodec »

As an alternative to online booking, I’ve used the following NCT phone number, with great success, over the years: 01-4135992
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I'm going to hold off. The website says that the NCT is due in Aug as opposed to April on the disc. I've a strong motive for pushing it back as far as I can.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:19 pm IThe website says that the NCT is due in Aug as opposed to April on the disc.
They all got a 4 month extension due to Covid delays.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Backlog increases with the nct. Trying to get a test online last nite, and the nearest test date was October 4th. Mine is out on May 17th.
So i persevered with constant refreshes online at 12.15 a.m. And managed to get one for 21 st May. Not bad,
because I was pipped at the post on 2 other dates.

So my advice if you have a test coming anytime in the next 5-6 weeks, get booking now.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Mine was due 15 May
Checked website 31 March - no appointments until August
Rang NCT number - they said they would put me on a list
Got text 2 days letter with test date of 23 April. Passed it.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I cant understand why the backlog is increasing month on month. They are testing 7 days a week now , but it seems to make no difference.