Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Wrong size cable(s) - keep or send back?

Four wheels good
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Wrong size cable(s) - keep or send back?

Post by CelticRambler »

Needing to make up an extension to a wiring loom in the camper, I tried to convert my real-life metric measurements to the bizzare AWG ... and ended up with a multicoloured six-pack of waaaaay too thick 12 guage. It's obviously not right, so I've since ordered a box of 16 guage and will make it work, even if it's still too thick.

My question: is it worth hanging on to the 12G, or should I go for an instant refund? I currently have a collection of two aging but road-worthy motor vehicles, two functioning construction vehicles that (mostly) do what they're supposed to but could always benefit from some enhancements, one Volvo 740 in an artificial coma and a ride-on mower. Plus various fanciful notions of what I might, some day, do with solar panels and all the broken electrical gadgets I've been stockpiling au cas où ...
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Wrong size cable(s) - keep or send back?

Post by kadman »

It all depends on what use you envisage these cables doing. For normal auto useage they are probably a bit overkill, but better that a cable too light.
Probably not a major expense item I'm guessing. So rather than all the arsing about for returning for a refund I probably would keep them.

Of course if Vlad decides any intentions of visiting en francaise, then your cable is probably ok for taking out any bridges on his route, provided you stocked up on semtex as well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://zwcables.com/12-gauge-wire/
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:49 am Of course if Vlad decides any intentions of visiting en francaise, then your cable is probably ok for taking out any bridges on his route, provided you stocked up on semtex as well. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Semtex and other things that go boooooom! is SonNo.1's department.

It's "only" 45€ but (for once) I really don't have any idea of what I might use them for where regular "twin and earth" (or at least the French equivalent) wouldn't do the job.

Maybe the wind turbine that I hope (some day) to make out of the old washing machine ...
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Twin and earth is not really suitable for car auto wiring, and the cable you bought, I assume is.
We best not go into son number twos activities, lest we end up with the gendarmes equivalent of SWAT arriving at your front door :D

Keep it, its no load and in the current times it may become more valuable than euro fiat currency.