Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Range Rover Classic - Electric Vehicle Conversion

Four wheels good
schmittel
Verified Username

Range Rover Classic - Electric Vehicle Conversion

Post by schmittel »

So, I have this old yoke:

It currently has a 1980's 5 series BMW Diesel engine which is knackered, and has been for a while. Not really worth repairing. Car been gathering dust for a few years in storage, and has been slightly out of sight, out of mind.

Every now and again I think about getting it back on the road and a new engine. My first plan was a BMW 2.8 petrol from E46/E39 donor. Since hatching the plan the cost of those donors has shot through the roof, making the whole thing less appealing.

Now after a bit of online rabbit holing the plan is to convert it to electric, which hopefully isn't as mad as it sounds.

I need a Nissan Leaf donor from which I'll take the motor, inverter, charger and battery pack and a few ancillaries. I am hoping to get a range of about 60 miles out of a 24kw battery pack.

This doesn't sound like much but is actually ample for my needs for this car. It was only ever used as a local runabout in the past and furthest round trip I ever did was probably under 30 miles. I suspect the performance will be an improvement over the old diesel which was painfully slow.

Intend to retain the gearbox and fit the motor directly to it. I'll need to source some sort of adapter and coupler to do this obviously but hopefully that will be straightforward enough.

These are the Nissan bits:

Should be plenty of room to put the motor stack in the engine bay and ideally I'd mount the battery pack under a false floor in the boot. There is some weight considerations here though since the battery pack is about 300kg and between the fuel tank, exhaust etc I'd only be removing about 100kg from the rear of the car. I suspect this won't improve the handling!

As to the work involved, I'm hoping a mechanically minded relative will muck in at mates rates to help stripping out the engine etc, fabricating any mounts needed etc. Ideally I am hoping he and I would mount the motor stack, connect to gearbox, mount the battery pack and then I'd pay somebody with EV experience to wire it all up. The high voltage stuff can be dangerous in the wrong hands!

Timescale I am hoping to have it on the road in the spring. It will take me a couple of months to get the budget and the bits together, but can get car stripped in the meantime.

Posting this here just in case there is anyone on GUBU with an interest in EV conversions. There is a very large community online of people with huge knowledge on converting to EV, and it is also very active in Ireland.

And if anybody knows of someone experienced who would connect it all up so much the better!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Range Rover Classic - Electric Vehicle Conversion

Post by Del.Monte »

Great project! Trains were my thing rather than cars so I can't be of any help.
Is that a current photo of the Range Rover as the bodywork looks great?
'no more blah blah blah'
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:13 pm Great project! Trains were my thing rather than cars so I can't be of any help.
Is that a current photo of the Range Rover as the bodywork looks great?
It's a recent photo, but probably a little flattering as it had just been washed and looks shiny!

It's very solid underneath as spent a good bit on getting the chassis sorted but it actually looks a bit scruffy. I kind of like it that way!
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Something I considered doing to one of my vw's. Plenty of info out there as well as kit prices.
I would have to sell most of the Mrs organs to pay for the kit, and i dont think she would like that, so it ended there.
I had made tentative enquiries of a us based conversion techie to come to the next big proposed VW meetup planned for next year in the midlands.
But it was not well received by the organisers, as they did not think it was an aircooled vehicle. Luddites.

Kit for the beetle was 8k euros plus another 15k for the batteries.

Have you factored in an SQI sign off for the conversion for your insurance.

Interesting thread, i'll be watching, well done.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Just a thought, I know a good auto electrician that used to do all contract work for main dealers. I will try and hit him up for you,
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

kadman wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:28 pm Something I considered doing to one of my vw's. Plenty of info out there as well as kit prices.
I would have to sell most of the Mrs organs to pay for the kit, and i dont think she would like that, so it ended there.
I had made tentative enquiries of a us based conversion techie to come to the next big proposed VW meetup planned for next year in the midlands.
But it was not well received by the organisers, as they did not think it was an aircooled vehicle. Luddites.

Kit for the beetle was 8k euros plus another 15k for the batteries.

Have you factored in an SQI sign off for the conversion for your insurance.

Interesting thread, i'll be watching, well done.
My first rabbit hole a while back was the kits and the prices were insane. Thought it was dead in the water at that stage, but a bit of clicking around led me to the Leaf idea which hopefully is more affordable.

My very back of the envelope budgeting so far is based on getting the Leaf parts for about 5k. Obviously the batteries will have some degradation on them but I think I'll get usable batteries for that.
Plus a controller which will be guts of 1k.

On top of that is labour for my cousin, which will be a good rate, and hopefully will make most of the donkey work affordable. (He still hasn't 100% agreed to do it, so plan might fall down there!)
Then labour for auto electrician.

Then I'll need a charger fitted at home, but looks like grants are available for that. And obviously on a project like this all the little bits and pieces can mount up.

So it's not cheap, but if I can get the leaf bits around 5k, it's looking a lot more doable than the kit + new battery options. And I've got to spend something relatively significant on the car - it's either an ICE swap or this. And whilst a little more expensive, this is a lot more interesting and will add value to the vehicle I think. Plus the fuel savings longer term! Anyway that's how I am justifying it!

Have factored in the SQI sign off in as far as I know I'll have to get it done, but haven't budgeted cash for it. Was sort of assuming that is not going to be crazy money in the context of the whole thing!
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

kadman wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:29 pm Just a thought, I know a good auto electrician that used to do all contract work for main dealers. I will try and hit him up for you,
I don't actually know anybody, so that would be brilliant thank you!
SmartinMartin

Post by SmartinMartin »

Numpty question...
Why do you need a gearbox? I thought ev was an on/off setup?
SmartinMartin

Post by SmartinMartin »

Love the motor btw, personally I'd look for an original engine.
You could tidy up that woodshed while you have the time.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

SmartinMartin wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:04 pm Numpty question...
Why do you need a gearbox? I thought ev was an on/off setup?
You're right, an ev can be just forward/reverse and away you go, but a couple of different reasons it makes sense to keep gearbox.

Mating motor straight to gearbox will retain four wheel drive without having to modify front and rear propshafts. I think it could be mounted onto the transfer box, but think that would just be a bigger pain in the hole re an adaptor plate to bridge the gap as obviously there is a limit to how far back the motor stack can be positioned as bulkhead is in the way.

An on/off ev motor will spin at something like up to 9000 rpm which I suspect the range rover gearbox could not handle. I think the controller can limit it to whatever you want eg 4500 rpm, and have different gears for town/motorway etc. Although it will probably be kept in 4th for most of the time.

I guess I just think it would be more usable vehicle and simpler conversion to keep the box is the short answer.

Oddly enough apparently I won't need the clutch.
Last edited by schmittel on Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

SmartinMartin wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:05 pm Love the motor btw, personally I'd look for an original engine.
You could tidy up that woodshed while you have the time.
If you'd asked me 12 months ago would I put an electric motor in one of my classics I'd have thought you were off your head. But then I converted an electric bike and have developed a bit of a fascination for all things electric motor!

If you think that shed needs a tidy you should see the sheds behind the camera!
SmartinMartin

Post by SmartinMartin »

Nice wan, never thought of the 4 wheel drive.
Numpty question number 2:
Why do you need the 4 wheel drive if you're just using it as a local runabout?
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

SmartinMartin wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:33 pm Nice wan, never thought of the 4 wheel drive.
Numpty question number 2:
Why do you need the 4 wheel drive if you're just using it as a local runabout?
Strictly speaking, I don't.

But that's where the simpler conversion comes in. Ditching 4WD just makes a bigger headache as more stuff needs to be modified in order to work out how to get the on/off motor to drive either the front or real wheels.

And whilst I don't need 4WD it has occasionally come in handy during heavy snow. My house on a hill makes snow problematic. I'd feel a bit of a numpty getting snowed in with my Range Rover sitting outside the house spinning its wheels at 9000 rpm!

And also, whilst I am ok with losing the originality of the car's engine, that ship had sailed pre my ownership, I don't really want a 2WD Range Rover!!
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

I should add, all of the above is just to the best of my layman's understanding. I'm still very much in the learning stage about all this, and please jump in and correct me if I am wrong or misunderstanding any of this.

These sort of questions are very helpful as possibly it will turn something up I am getting wrong, or haven't thought of!
SmartinMartin

Post by SmartinMartin »

Please please please keep the thread going. I'll be watching with great interest, as will others far more knowledgeable than me.
SmartinMartin

Post by SmartinMartin »

It is a beautiful motor, no matter what you do with it.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I would budget the SQI fee at about 500 euro. I couldn't see it being any more. He has 2 areas to be checking on. Structural integrity of the vehicle to be able to carry the extra weight, and the conversion itself.
On the structural side you would be beefing up the load area where you intend to install the batteries, and the weight distribution of all the batteries evenly throughout the vehicle.
But on a major plus side you are starting with whats probably one of the most rugged built vehicles anyway. They were well known for being built like a tank.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

kadman wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:25 am I would budget the SQI fee at about 500 euro. I couldn't see it being any more. He has 2 areas to be checking on. Structural integrity of the vehicle to be able to carry the extra weight, and the conversion itself.
On the structural side you would be beefing up the load area where you intend to install the batteries, and the weight distribution of all the batteries evenly throughout the vehicle.
But on a major plus side you are starting with whats probably one of the most rugged built vehicles anyway. They were well known for being built like a tank.
I hadn't factored in he'd have to sign off on the weight distribution so that's good to know. It is a problem as taking about 125kg out of the front with the engine, and replacing with about 75kg, and taking out 100kg from the rear, replacing with about 300!

Despite the shoddy distribution I am pretty confident the structural integrity will take it, and will be double checking the state of the chassis, mounts etc when stripped.

The Electric Classic Cars crowd in the UK did a 2 door Range Rover with Tesla motor and batteries. They had 200kg extra in the boot floor/fuel tank area and all they needed was bigger springs. But their distribution would have been better as they had another chunk of batteries in the engine bay as well.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Maybe its an idea to make contact with a friendly SQI and get the specs from him required for your conversion. There might be a world of difference between what you think will pass, and what he knows wont. It would be a pity to do a whole load of welding and strengthening in the wrong places. And as we all know only too well what passes in uk, doesn't in Ireland.
And remember you are governed by eu ruling, not the uk anymore.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

kadman wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:35 am Maybe its an idea to make contact with a friendly SQI and get the specs from him required for your conversion. There might be a world of difference between what you think will pass, and what he knows wont. It would be a pity to do a whole load of welding and strengthening in the wrong places. And as we all know only too well what passes in uk, doesn't in Ireland.
And remember you are governed by eu ruling, not the uk anymore.
Good advice, thanks, I will do that.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Some pointers here from the RSA on modifying a vehicle.

https://www.rsa.ie/road-safety/road-use ... ifications
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I can't offer any advise besides good luck.

I'd be thinking about insurance but I don't know what the story is.

Now to be a killjoy. I much rather cars preserved in as close to original condition as possible. But, as you already had an engine swap done, is there any other engine besides the 2.8BMW that would fit? I'm thinking a modern(ish) petrol turbo on aftermarket management would have plenty power & torque.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

In all fairness if you are going to convert a vehicle to electric....then this is the ideal workhorse to chose. You will have large heavy carrying capacity, and its built for rugged use, so you can do all this on electric power...win.win in my book.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Inefficiencies in drivetrain on the Range Rover, weight and aerodynamics. These are going to murder the driving range. I’d be surprised if you get more than 20 miles from a charge with that motor and pack.

I like those old Range Rovers myself (had a couple) but I don’t see the combo as a useful EV after the fact. There’s a pro-converted one on YouTube that’s a super machine altogether, but it’s a €30k motor, pack and controller setup. Without looking to just rain on your parade, you’ll get more out of that old girl by sorting a replacement diesel engine for her.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:19 am I can't offer any advise besides good luck.

I'd be thinking about insurance but I don't know what the story is.

Now to be a killjoy. I much rather cars preserved in as close to original condition as possible. But, as you already had an engine swap done, is there any other engine besides the 2.8BMW that would fit? I'm thinking a modern(ish) petrol turbo on aftermarket management would have plenty power & torque.
Before I get into deep I will be having a chat with the insurance company for sure!

For sure there are any number of other engines that will fit, and do a decent job, but have made peace losing the originality of an internal combustion engine and am now quite keen on the idea.

In any event, if it does not work out the process is reversible, and it will just end up being a bit of a costly learning experience!