Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

08 Fiesta good deal?

Four wheels good
BannerD

08 Fiesta good deal?

Post by BannerD »

Is this good deal

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/n ... a/35747857

If not what should I offer?
kadman
Verified Username

Re: 08 Fiesta good deal?

Post by kadman »

No pictures of the inside or engine bay, and no nct printout. Which says to me, there is not a full disclosure on it for some reason. Looks well enough for a 16 year old car, which now would be considered a banger. I would like to see a pic of the interior to see how well its been cared for. Mileage is probably on the low side for its year. You would need to know when the timing belt and water pump was last done. As that would eat probably 300 euro if you are doing it yourself and double plus if its a garage job.

Probably about the norm pricewise for that size and condition of car. Good time now to scoop up a car now as xmas is coming. Probably get a bargain price if its still there after xmas what with credit car bills coming in from santa
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Ask for the nct readout to check the limits left on suspension and brake components, and you can get a look at emission readouts.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

How did they manage to get an NCT until 02/25, is there something I've missed? It's a fifteen year old car and after ten, NCT is annually.
BannerD

Post by BannerD »

Thanks everyone. The seller said it clean inside.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

I’ve been in clean kitchens in which I wouldn’t drink a glass of water 😉

I’m never too keen on a car with no interior photos, especially when the outside ones are taken in the rain and the car hasn’t been washed clearly.

You’re missing a clear photo of the front left wing, lights etc also.

Poffs sticker in the back probably the dealers in Tralee. They know their Fords if so, so maybe give them a call with the reg and ask when they sold it and what had been done, and at what mileage etc. Smaller dealers with good reviews, so may well prove helpful in anticipation of a Google review etc.

For €3k on a private sale, I’d want a good service history including a recent service, 4 good tyres at least matched make/model/depth per axle. 2 remote keys and the Ford master key/chip and the programming code on the keyring.

If you really want it, go for a test drive with the owner and put it through the carwash, pay for it if you have to, so you have some chance of spotting repairs/laquer damage etc. the car will at least be clean and dry and you can stop for a few minutes at least under the forecourt awning.

All checking out, €3k wouldn’t be a bad deal. Price a replacement key in case one is missing. Price two tyres supplied fitted and balanced. Tyre website will let you put in the reg for tyre sizes to suit if you don’t know it, probably a 185/65 R14 at a guess, load rating I couldn’t say. Price a service with an independent mechanic and same for timing belt supplied and fitted. Any of those things need doing, take 80% of what they’ll cost off the €3k.

Tell her €3k is a fair price for a nice car if it’s exactly how it should be, but it needs a few things and you would have to spend time and money getting it right. That’s a fair way and nobody’s winning or losing, if you like the car generally and she wants to sell it.

Rust on sills, bottom of pillars etc., Walk away.

Damp carpets? Walk away.

No service book, walk away.

Check engine number and VIN match logbook and NCT certs. YouTube will show where to check.

Do the same on YouTube to know what common faults to check for, especially engine noises.

Make an appointment to see the car and be there 30 minutes early. I’ve saved myself paying to buy problems more than once by getting there before they could warm up the car or jump start it when needed a new battery or a lazy starter replacement.

Or rock up with €1900 cash in your pocket and tell her there are 3 more within 25 miles for that money, if you like a balls to the wall gamble!
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Service record on a 16 year old car aint gonna happen. Its been through 4 owners so good luck with the service history. Unless of course it was a one owner, and then you might have some luck. And vin number and details has been checked if it has a recent nct, as now the check obd diagnostics plug on the ecu. So no matter what the reg plate or vrt cert says, its going to be what the obd socket says primarily.And if any of them dont tally, well they wont test it, and probably slap a do not drive sticker on it as well as notify the guards, and none of thats happened so it must be regarded as legit.

Second hand small cc cars have held their pricing as they are scarce enough to get.

I wouldn't take what anyone says about the interior condition unless I can see a picture of it.

And dont do what someone did when they looked at a camper, and paid the full price and said they would collect tomorrow. They went back the next day to collect, and the guy denied all talk of the deal. Money was gone and so was the camper. Guards says it was now a civil matter, his word against yours.......
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

I have bought a lot of 15+ year old cars down through the years and one with a reasonably complete service book isn’t hard to find if the car is right and had owners that gave half a shite.

Check the numbers match the logbook and cert. It takes 2 minutes and at least ties it all together. Why wouldn’t you? Feck all use buying a ringer on a private sale and finding out at the next NCT the car’s for scrap. Silly IMHO to not check them before handing over funds.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

We bought our daughter an identical looking 09 Fiesta as her first car a month ago for €3300, however the dealer has had it back for the last week trying to find where its leaking as the carpets were all wet. Apart from that it seems to be a good enough car, but as someone who now has three 08/09 cars and a van in the drive all to maintain, I'm really thinking running old cars is a bit of a false economy. It costs a lot of time and money to keep them all constantly roadworthy. My wife's Civic has just failed its second NCT on things that weren't noticed the first time, we weren't able to book a retest within the time limit and so they went to town on it in the test center. Its booked in again for its third test next Friday . . It better bloody well pass that one or I'll be like . . .
BannerD

Post by BannerD »

They said it sold for 3k.

Cars are very expensive now. A car such as mine now costs more than mine did and are now 7 years older as I bought mine 7 years ago

Saw an old model 08 fiesta and over4 k. Very little mileage it says...
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

marhay70 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:39 pm How did they manage to get an NCT until 02/25, is there something I've missed? It's a fifteen year old car and after ten, NCT is annually.
I'd say NCT was originally February 2024 and they went for the test in November 2023 - you can go within 90 days of the expiry date.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:32 am I'd say NCT was originally February 2024 and they went for the test in November 2023 - you can go within 90 days of the expiry date.
Good point, didn't think of that.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Apelles wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:28 am We bought our daughter an identical looking 09 Fiesta as her first car a month ago for €3300, however the dealer has had it back for the last week trying to find where its leaking as the carpets were all wet. Apart from that it seems to be a good enough car, but as someone who now has three 08/09 cars and a van in the drive all to maintain, I'm really thinking running old cars is a bit of a false economy. It costs a lot of time and money to keep them all constantly roadworthy. My wife's Civic has just failed its second NCT on things that weren't noticed the first time, we weren't able to book a retest within the time limit and so they went to town on it in the test center. Its booked in again for its third test next Friday . . It better bloody well pass that one or I'll be like . . .
If you read the current nct test sheet of a passed car, its easy to see where you are reaching your limits in preparation for the next test the following year. So you have time to decide whether to consider moving it on or prepping for the next test.

Fortunately I dont have these headaches because I do all my own repairs, have a workshop tools, full height scissor lift and I am a retired gent. Win,Win,Win :D
BannerD

Post by BannerD »

JayZeus wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:46 pm I’ve been in clean kitchens in which I wouldn’t drink a glass of water 😉

I’m never too keen on a car with no interior photos, especially when the outside ones are taken in the rain and the car hasn’t been washed clearly.

You’re missing a clear photo of the front left wing, lights etc also.

Poffs sticker in the back probably the dealers in Tralee. They know their Fords if so, so maybe give them a call with the reg and ask when they sold it and what had been done, and at what mileage etc. Smaller dealers with good reviews, so may well prove helpful in anticipation of a Google review etc.

For €3k on a private sale, I’d want a good service history including a recent service, 4 good tyres at least matched make/model/depth per axle. 2 remote keys and the Ford master key/chip and the programming code on the keyring.

If you really want it, go for a test drive with the owner and put it through the carwash, pay for it if you have to, so you have some chance of spotting repairs/laquer damage etc. the car will at least be clean and dry and you can stop for a few minutes at least under the forecourt awning.

All checking out, €3k wouldn’t be a bad deal. Price a replacement key in case one is missing. Price two tyres supplied fitted and balanced. Tyre website will let you put in the reg for tyre sizes to suit if you don’t know it, probably a 185/65 R14 at a guess, load rating I couldn’t say. Price a service with an independent mechanic and same for timing belt supplied and fitted. Any of those things need doing, take 80% of what they’ll cost off the €3k.

Tell her €3k is a fair price for a nice car if it’s exactly how it should be, but it needs a few things and you would have to spend time and money getting it right. That’s a fair way and nobody’s winning or losing, if you like the car generally and she wants to sell it.

Rust on sills, bottom of pillars etc., Walk away.

Damp carpets? Walk away.

No service book, walk away.

Check engine number and VIN match logbook and NCT certs. YouTube will show where to check.

Do the same on YouTube to know what common faults to check for, especially engine noises.

Make an appointment to see the car and be there 30 minutes early. I’ve saved myself paying to buy problems more than once by getting there before they could warm up the car or jump start it when needed a new battery or a lazy starter replacement.

Or rock up with €1900 cash in your pocket and tell her there are 3 more within 25 miles for that money, if you like a balls to the wall gamble!
She said she got three k anyway
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Ah, I suppose I’m just turning into a grump who thinks everything is overpriced at this stage.

😁