Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Now here's an EV that I could get behind

Four wheels good
peasant
Verified Username

Now here's an EV that I could get behind

Post by peasant »

Those who know me from "the other side" will know that I used to drive VW T3 vans for years (among them a 4x4 Syncro) and that I have recently re -discovered my love for small cars (in the form af a Suzuki Ignis)

Well ..this is kind of what would happen if you crossed the two: :mrgreen:

Ladys and Gentlemen ..the XBUS

But hang on ...there's a catch (other than it only being a prototype)

This is a "light vehicle" ...same category as the Renault Twizzy or Citroen Ami, so not a proper car. While it has permanent four wheel drive (an electric motor at each wheel), with 15 KW of permanent power and 56 kw peak it will not set the world alight...no Tesla here. Top speed is 100 km/h.
Also no airbags, driver assist systems and probably very light crash test requirements :shock:

On the other hand, it only weighs 600 kg and with its modular build you can have anything from a pickup, MPV, panel van or even a camper.(and you're even supposed to be able to switch between them by changing modules yourself)

You can play with the configurator here:
https://electricbrands.de/en/

I have to say, I like the idea. This looks useful, practical and sustainable.

But, like so many EV startups, there's a lot of talk and "vision" and very little hard fact available up to now.
I will keep an eye on this and if I ever get a chance for a test drive, I' will certainly think about it more seriously. If a light vehicle ever could fulfill my daily driving needs ...this might be it
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Now here's an EV that I could get behind

Post by CelticRambler »

Hmm. Think I'd stick with the Ami. I toyed with the idea getting a Twizzy for a while, but the Ami is way ahead of it and you can get one new for the price of a secondhand Twizzy.

But for the moment, there's no EV that can cope with my driving habits, so I'll be burning dinojuice for a the foreseeable future.
PogMoThoin

Post by PogMoThoin »

It's fugly
Eoin_B

Post by Eoin_B »

Why make it look like a face?
Cant be taken seriously!
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

PogMoThoin wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:11 pmIt's fugly
Plover1958 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:17 pm It's gross looking.
Ah now: it's cuter than that monstrosity Tesla truck.
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

Something that has disappointed me about the current crop of EVS is that despite the new possibilities that come with the new technology and the new platforms they still are just a continuation of what was before. No really new ideas ...just one electric SUV/crossover after another.

Something that has really annoyed me is the ongoing trend of Teslafication. I get it...Tesla were first and they had to offer something unique so the went with fast, ludicrous even. But ( with a few laudable exception) most EV makers go for the same thing now...German Autobahn speeds with a range of 500+ km. The result are EV's that are far less economical than they should be because they are over-sized, over-powered and over-weight.

That's what I like about the underlying principle of the XBUS. Even though it is from Germany, it doesn't aim for Autobahn speed, it goes against the grain.

I hope it works out for them
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

peasant wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:19 pmNo really new ideas ...just one electric SUV/crossover after another.
Sure isn't that more or less the only style/shape that any manufacturer ever bothers to introduce now, regardless of the motorisation?

I'm not at all into cars, but I think we're all the poorer that there aren't more imaginative/unique/quirky designs on the roads. 'Twas better in the olden days!

That said, I'd be wondering what (apart from the quad-bike licence and the modularity) is the difference between this and the many electric "utility" vans we see doing town council duty here in France.
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

CelticRambler wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:54 pm ...I'd be wondering what (apart from the quad-bike licence and the modularity) is the difference between this and the many electric "utility" vans we see doing town council duty here in France.
A motor at every wheel (to get the most out of the restrictive quadricycle requirements) and up 800 W of solar panels on the roof?
That difference enough?

I don't know what the small utility vans in France look like ...so the above is a real question, not rhetoric :D
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I'll pay more attention the next time I see one! Could be a while, as I tend to avoid places that need to have council workers traipsing around often enough for me to see them! :mrgreen:
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

Apparently four dealerships in Ireland have registered with them already.
(don't know if that involves much more than just filling in a contact page ...but interesting nevertheless)
Capture xbus.JPG
Capture xbus.JPG (21.96 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

Their second prototype is out ...this time the commercial version with the big box

and their dealer network has grown as well (not just here)
Capture xbus 2.JPG
Capture xbus 2.JPG (26.5 KiB) Viewed 3236 times
This might just become reality ...
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I don't think I could ever trust the engineering of someone who makes vertical videos ... :?
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

@peasant: Is that your own pic?
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

I wish it were ...it's from electric brands' facebook page.

I'm just itching to get a test drive in one of these (end of next year perhaps?)..because if it drives anywhere near enough a "normal" car like I have now ...the bus version will be my next one and only vehicle
quodec

Post by quodec »

... whereas I was thinking of something like this......

peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

quodec wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:05 pm ... whereas I was thinking of something like this......
Yeah ..well ...the hound wouldn't fit into that one :mrgreen:
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

The exchangeable batteries also make it interesting ...buy some extra (1600 € for 5 kW/h), charge them on your own solar panels at home while you're gone, use them as a additional house battery and do swaps with the empty ones from your car ...you could be driving without ever plugging in :mrgreen: