Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

DIY emissions test for diesel engine?

Four wheels good
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: DIY emissions test for diesel engine?

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:49 am How is it an anti climax at the moment. Now I am confused.

You now have the codes that indicate where the problem may be. And you did not have these, so I would say its a small success, considering you only just plugged in the bare bones, and got the code readout..
I didn't have the precise error codes, but I had all the other information, complete with a full description of the known issue and recommended fix ... and (unless there's a second fault hiding in plain sight) none of this is in any way connected to the smoky emissions. No-one else with this up-hill-at-speed fault, linked to these two triggers, has concurrent emissions failures; and my excessive smoke values pre-date the appearance of that problem. :(
kadman wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:49 am Back to the test.
Is your test result from a computer that says exhaust smoke out of range. Is there a number associated with this statement.
2. Was this vehicle attached for an OBD readout at the centre.
From post#6 above:
CelticRambler wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:30 pm... in 2009 and 2011 the values were coming in at about 1.35wozits per m-1; then they leapt up to 1.9-ish in the 2014 test and have stayed there ever since (last test was 1.87)
Don't know whether or not the test was done with OBD - there's nothing on the cert to indicate that it was or wasn't. The guy doing the test (tests, plural - three of them in quick succession with suggested non-invasive remedies tried between each) never mentioned anything about OBD errors. The garage did a scan when I left the camper in for a "deep clean" of the engine, and then told me that they wouldn't do the "deep clean" unless/until they'd replaced the faulty parts ...
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I would like a pic of the test results please, as asked for previously,

I have no idea what french wotsits are"n 2009 and 2011 the values were coming in at about 1.35wozits per m-1; then they leapt up to 1.9-ish in the 2014 test and have stayed there ever since (last test was 1.87)

I would like to see where on the form this relates to.
Like before, I am not doing a teeth pulling exercise, it takes too long.
Have you erased the codes with ecu scan.
Have you started up ecu scan with the engine running.
Have the codes re appeared.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

. Have you already replaced the items you think are the problem.
What items were they.

Off out now for a 10k cycle. Adios :)
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Quoting here, as it's a more logical continuation ... ;)
kadman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:25 pm So.....You bought Multiecuscan, and all the leads, and the OBD connector. And you did nothing with it at all, which means.

You never plugged it in, never erased the existing codes, never started it up to record if existing codes re appeared.
Never ran a live diagnostics with the laptop whilst driving. Ergo no data to inspect to correct your faults.
And no indepth inspection of existing actuators and fuel details. That would have possibly prevented you in breaking down on the roadside.
Bought and used the leads and the software. Got the three errors previously noted. Cleared them, never saw them again. Tried to provoke the "uphill at high revs" error yesterday on the one hill that might have triggered it in the past, and didn't get the warning as before. Never got a second chance.

In the meantime, removed and checked the intercooler for holes, the removed and checked the various airhoses, checked the wastegate, changed the old part of the exhaust for a new one, checked as many sensor connections as I could find (all OK, no corrosion on any of them).

MultiECUscan with engine running while static gave no warnings; whether or not all the other live data was within range I don't know because I had no reference values. Couldn't do diagnostics while driving because I wasn't road legal till 11h15 yesterday (also the position of the OBD port and the weight of the ELM lead make for a very unstable combination - not sure it would have been possible without a second person in the cab to hold everything stable ...

All academic now because the emissions will be zero for the foreseeable future. :cry:
Calahonda52
Verified Username

Post by Calahonda52 »

The Continental Op wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:36 pm Tweaking something when you can't measure the actual results is like accountancy without seeing all the books.
When did the books ever to be seen: Enron
This thread needs a bit of lightness: bad enough Macron being pi$$ed with Biden, but KM pi$$ed with CR or the reverse :o
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Calahonda52 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:31 pm When did the books ever to be seen: Enron
This thread needs a bit of lightness: bad enough Macron being pi$$ed with Biden, but KM pi$$ed with CR or the reverse :o
:lol:

Hey Cal, you know I am a pacifist at heart, its easier to make enemies, than good friends. And at 66 my fighting days are over :mrgreen:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Where've you been, these last ten days, Mr. K? Was beginning to think you'd dosed yourself up on those mushrooms you posted about a while back and found them less than edible! :mrgreen:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Had aheart attack unfortunately. Stents fitted, and back in place after 8 days.
Mikewest

Post by Mikewest »

Yikes! Definitely time to take it easy
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I was smart enough to listen to my body and know that something different was happening. So I made my way to the hospital well before any damage to the heart muscle occurred so the consultant told me.

Had a great echo of my heart which confirmed this, and was scheduled the next day for an angio. It was decided to fit 3 stents in 2 hours.
And book me in again in 6 weeks , for another 2. The day after the stents i asked the nurse for a football to exercise :D

She nearly fainted :lol:

Its all good now, I feel great and am back exercising.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Glad you made a good recovery, KM. On a lighter note thought you might like this..
65400EN-CFSC-Diesel.png
:lol: :lol:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Dont see that on me meds lists, :lol: :lol:
Might work better on CR's camper. :D