Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Classic car prices forecast

Four wheels good
Fratello
Verified Username

Classic car prices forecast

Post by Fratello »

I am in a position where I could buy a classic car for the first time. Previously I lived where I had a driveway for one car only and no room to build a garage. Now I have a patch where there is a crappy shed that I intend to remove then build or place a nice dry shed for a classic car.

I have noticed that the prices have gone up lots since Covid and Brexit. I assume it's a combination of people not spening holiday money on holidays and then the UK classic car market being subject to import taxes and charges. Adverts ads remain on the net and looking at old ads from 2015 prices seem very cheap compared to now. There is a Renault 4 gone up today looking for 24k!

Given that many have lost money due to COVID I would have thought the net effect on prices due to Covid would be zero. Brexit taxes etc I understand is not going away but prices might drop over there if they become poor over the next while from thier Brexit project.

So I am wondering what do people think will happen classic car prices over the next 12 months? I still have to build that shed so I'm not inclined to purchase anything yet but wondering if I should speed up a bit!

Re: Classic car prices forecast

Post by 765489 »

Fratello wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:40 pm There is a Renault 4 gone up today looking for 24k!
Wow !! Is that on donedeal Fratello ? Would love to see it...

Not buying it or anything... remember my uncle had 2 of them... one of them when myself and brother were in the back we could see the road from the rusted hole in the floor :lol:
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

I have an 89 Range Rover that I toyed with selling shortly after first lockdown. For a various reasons I didn't in the end and looking at current prices I am pretty glad I didn't. I also bought an early 90s Volvo last summer that I felt I overpaid for, now it looks cheap.

Whilst I think there might be a lot in what mailman says, I have always only one eye on the value. I have had plenty of shares over the years that I wish I had bought and sold at different times. When it goes wrong I have a pretty crappy slip of paper, and not even that anymore, just an ugly red mark in a column on a screen.

But with my cars, if the values collapse, I'll still have a car I like!
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

I'm not investing. I'm just looking for a yoke to have a bit of fun in during the summer. I see a bubble but Brexit is not going away and the UK was the main source for RHD classics.

I wouldn't give 24.5k for a Renault 4 unless I knew there was 20k hidden in the body shell.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for ... r/28891304
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

A certain irony in someone asking for 24.5k for a Renault 4 saying "No dreamers"...

Post by 765489 »

And only one photo of it !
dawg

Post by dawg »

Fratello wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:40 pm....I have noticed that the prices have gone up lots since Covid and Brexit. I assume it's a combination of people not spening holiday money on holidays and then the UK classic car market being subject to import taxes and charges. Adverts ads remain on the net and looking at old ads from 2015 prices seem very cheap compared to now. There is a Renault 4 gone up today looking for 24k!..
At a guess, José would be happy to trade his daily drive for half that :D

Just dont tell him its a classic...unless you want to offend him
R 4 A small.jpg
R 4 A small.jpg (57.16 KiB) Viewed 2685 times
R 4 B small.jpg
R 4 B small.jpg (168.08 KiB) Viewed 2685 times

Post by 765489 »

I'll be getting a second hand tractor that will be in the classic category in the next couple of months. I've been thinking with the outrageous prices been asked for on donedeal for second hand tractors that maybe looking further afield to Germany / France might be the way to go.
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

The steering wheel tends to be in the middle on tractors which means you have no disvantage going outside the UK.
SmartinMartin

Post by SmartinMartin »

There are 2 or 3 dealers that have come on to the Irish market in recent years asking outrageous prices. Private sellers see what's being asked and their own expectations rise, and as a result the market here has overinflated. Brexit didn't exactly help either. I would hope that it will eventually settle, but I can't see it happening soon.
Wibbs
Verified Username

Post by Wibbs »

Yep and sellers wrongly compare the local Irish market and markets in other countries. So they see "Classic Car A" going for 40k in the US market and think "Classic Car A" will be valued the same in the Irish market, when the two markets couldn't be any more different on a few levels. For a start the market here is absolutely tiny compared to the US or the UK, or pretty much anywhere more populous than us. You could have thousands of potentially interested buyers with the cash to buy "Classic Car A" in the US, but here you might have a half dozen, or none, or is a genre of cars just not popular here and more popular elsewhere.

Another aspect which applies pretty much everywhere is when an example of "Classic Car A" goes for 40k at auction somewhere and people think their example is worth similar money, ignoring the fact the auction example likely had 100 kms on the clock, delivery tags attached and was a rare version. They think their common or garden 250,000 kms on the clock version "in need of refreshment" is somehow the same.

Still, prices have definitely gone nuts over the last few years in some segments and that accelerated during the pandemic. 90's Jap cars an obvious one, air cooled Porsches another. If you had a big shed and 30k to spend five years ago and spent well, you would have probably seen a huge return on that bet. If I were a betting man and was buying today? First series Porsche Boxter would be in my firing line.

Going further into the future is hardder to judge. The day is coming when ICE cars will likely be banned from urban areas so that will impact classics. They could go the way of the horse. An expensive "toy" driven around paddocks and tracks.
Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Of course you always have the option of converting you prized classic to electric power.
I thought of this on a beetle i had, but the conversion kit was a mad price.

I notice too that restoration repair work has gone through the roof from some of the stories I have heard. But in fairness its impossible to price repair work on a complete car. It would be a lot easier if the shell was stripped first. But it sounds like many are going to eastern europe to get their precious restored with amazing results and prices.