Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

53 Year Old Barnfind Vw Variant Re-Commissioning.

Four wheels good
kadman
Verified Username

Re: 53 Year Old Barnfind Vw Variant Re-Commissioning.

Post by kadman »

THis is what I did on my fastback. I made a rotisserie to turn it.
I am definitely not as brave as those guys. This is mine here.

With this car on it,

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Nearly onto the variant resto now. Just putting the finishing touches to the discs on the late fastback.
I bought 2 new discs from germany that were delivered within 1 week from ordering. Prior to germany
I would be ordering from the Uk, but what with brexit and the rest, it would have pushed up the price probably another 50%.
I paid 188 euro for the two delivered to Ireland. Great price I thought. I will be fitting them later in the week.
I am driving the fastback regularly now after many years working on it. It still needs a few bits n bobs, but I can enjoy it now which is great.

I have put the variant in out of the weather into a clean dry shed. Its ready for me to take out the engine and then get cracking on its rebuild during the winter. So I will get a few pics going then on the progress its making.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I took the eldest son out for a spin in the white fastback today. Its a 50 year old car too, first registered in 1972.
Its the first of the type 3 i restored, or nearly completed should i say. Ripped down the motorway at 70 mph, and having not long completed the engine build, I dropped back from the 70 mph so as not to glaze up the piston barrels from not cutting in the new rings progressively. But boy oh boy did it rip along. My son thought the heater was savage, so I was well pleased that the new heater channels I made from scratch worked a treat,

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Simple enough when you plan it ahead and go careful. Plus the right material, galvanised so no more rust,

And here are the inner channels fitted onto the car body, and you can see the far channel slots where the heat comes out that I was marking on the previous picture.

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

You can buy these channels, but at the time I was looking they were not available, and definitely not galvanized.
DirtNap

Post by DirtNap »

Very cool car Kadman,
I don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh .
In your second pic of the rotisserie if the rear window was a hatch the body is very like an MBG GT.

I'm doing a (slow!) nut & bolt resto on a 74 BMW E10.
I had a thread on boards about it but I closed my account there, too many goons (not in the classic car forum to be fair).
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

DirtNap wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:45 am Very cool car Kadman,
I don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh .
In your second pic of the rotisserie if the rear window was a hatch the body is very like an MBG GT.

I'm doing a (slow!) nut & bolt resto on a 74 BMW E10.
I had a thread on boards about it but I closed my account there, too many goons (not in the classic car forum to be fair).
Dirtnap, the very man. A beemer officianado, just what I have been looking for. The fastback calipers are tricky to get, but I have it from a reliable source that the beemer E21 model uses the same type caliper dimensionally as the late fastback, caliper bolt centre distance of 76 mm. 1975-1983 i think was the model years
Can you throw any light on that?

Now you have a home for your beemer resto thread here on gubu, makes perfect sense, quicker site, easier to use, and picture posting is a breeze. Think about it
DirtNap

Post by DirtNap »

Aficionado is a bit strong :lol:

Sorry I haven't a clue about the E21.
I can certainly take at look at mine later and see if they could suit.
I actually bought new calipers for it in 2018 and they were £400 :o
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

ouch, but at least they are available.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

So, if i buy an auto part from the uk for 200gbp, what customs will the irish charge me to bring it in,
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Judging by this example on the revenue website, I could be scalped.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-11-03 at 04-14-19 Buying goods from outside the European Union (EU) including the UK.png
Screenshot 2021-11-03 at 04-14-19 Buying goods from outside the European Union (EU) including the UK.png (24.76 KiB) Viewed 7892 times
DirtNap

Post by DirtNap »

I dont know and Im afraid to find out.
I've been ordering all parts from germany.
The UK BMW place (jaymic) are shipping ex UK vat so at least that's something,but as I said .
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Thats what I have been doing for all my parts as well. Germany for me is the best solution, and their delivery dates are nearly better than I used to get when I used the uk.
I found shopping for parts from the Netherlands great too. Both of them being very fast and efficient.
I think they actually appreciate your business. I used to use addresspal with the uk, which was a nightmare, lost and missing parcels.
and no customer service.
Wibbs
Verified Username

Post by Wibbs »

A mate of mine is building a track car at the moment and any of the kit he needed from the UK and couldn't find in the EU he was rode sideways on the extra charges and there were delays with all but one of the packages. One part went through the post three times before he got it and the UK seller didn't change the documents that he sent with it. Funny enough parts he got from the US and Australia while naturally attracting duty etc were not held up.
Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.
Wibbs
Verified Username

Post by Wibbs »

kadman wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:52 am Thats what I have been doing for all my parts as well. Germany for me is the best solution, and their delivery dates are nearly better than I used to get when I used the uk.
I found shopping for parts from the Netherlands great too. Both of them being very fast and efficient.
I think they actually appreciate your business. I used to use addresspal with the uk, which was a nightmare, lost and missing parcels.
and no customer service.
Same experience here, albeit with a younger car(though still ancient to the PCP folks :D). I used to have a couple of UK based suppliers for the bits and bobs it needed(thankfully rarely), but since brexit forget about it. One of those UK guys actually told me this. That I'd be better off and save a fair whack by buying in the EU. He had a load of EU customers but that effectively died when full on brexit hit.
Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I imagine that a lot of auto business between uk and Ireland took a major blow. I have heard that shopping in UK through Northern Ireland does not attract customs duties due to the "special arrangement" between north and south, if you can arrange that.
But I found Germany and netherlands definitely have a good business model from the point of view of assurances and delivery dates. previously for me it was always a hit and miss affair.

My last UK purchase was with VWheritage parts for a postage size stamp winder clip. They sent it to their new EU hub in Germany, to get it sent to Ireland, and charged me for the privelage instead of a small envelope from UK. Apparently masses of parts are sent there and then the buyer refuses the customs charges, and thousands of new parts are waiting to be destroyed because of accumulating charges that suppliers nor customers will pay for. But at the end of the day the insurance foots the bill, then we do with escalating charges.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Moving along with some maintenance work on the lateVW Fastback 1972, I had to replace 2 new front discs.

I noticed that I had some uneven braking on the front, that pulled slightly to the left on dry roads. And would be a lot worse on wetter roads.
A quick check on the conditions of the calipers and discs, led me to believe the problem was well worn uneven discs surfaces
As you can see the pads are only rubbing on 50% of the disc surface

AS they are already down to a minimum thickness, re skimming was not an option,
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

The disc caliper needs to be removed first by removing the two caliper bolts after removing the disc pads.
Simple enough.

The disc locknut on vw's are a simple affair for the front discs. A small allen key to loosen the clamp stud, and then just undo
the spindle nut, and remove the discs.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Notable thing on the left hand wheel, is that the thread on the allen stud locking is a left hand thread.

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

The disc thickness and condition on the 67 Variant is in far better condition than the discs were on the 72 Fastback strangely enough.

Probably something to do with the fact that its been in the shed for 53 years

Even the damper rubbers top and bottom are in as new shape, as they have seen very little of the road.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Pancake engine of the vw type 3 have changed little since the early models from the early 60's

You would be hard pressed to find any significant changes really.

Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

DirtNap wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:25 am I dont know and Im afraid to find out.
I've been ordering all parts from germany.
The UK BMW place (jaymic) are shipping ex UK vat so at least that's something,but as I said .
Back when I foolishly tried to maintain a 2002tii I gave up on Jaymic and started using a german site called Walloth and Nesch. Are they the one you use?

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

also...
SAvariant.jpg
SAvariant.jpg (91.48 KiB) Viewed 7787 times
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Back on track, I have taken out the engine on the variant to strip it and exam it for wear, replace any worn parts and rebuild it.
I made up an engine trolley for previous builds that makes things a lot easier.

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Is that last pic all the bits you had left over after rebuilding the engine? :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'