Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

53 Year Old Barnfind Vw Variant Re-Commissioning.

Four wheels good
kadman
Verified Username

Re: 53 Year Old Barnfind Vw Variant Re-Commissioning.

Post by kadman »

I thought your sig says " No more blah blah blah" :lol:

That pic is the sows ear I am going to turn into a silk purse ;)
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Brief look at the pressure plate and clutch plate seems ok. End float tolerence is great and well within VW limits.

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Cracking on with the engine topend rebuild, I stripped the engine topend for inspection.
I found the rings need renewing as well as the barrels need re honing to allow the new rings to wear in.
So I rehoned the barrels after checking with bore guages that they are within limits for this.

This pic shows the glazed areas of the barrels as well as the unworn section of the barrel bottom.

And here we have the tools for honing the barrel, and the bore guage for keeping an eye on the measurements of the metal removal.

And here is the barrel clamped in place for the honing.

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Now that I have the piston barrels honed, and new rings fitted, and all the valves in both cylinder heads lapped in, its back together tomorrow.
Here is one of the barrels crosshatch honed so that the rings bed in properly to the cylinder walls.

Pistons weighed and balanced to within 1 gram. Normally vw stock bought pistons are guaranteed to within 5 grams. But thats not always the case.

And the cylinder heads valves lapped in and checked for sealing.

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

All ready for assembly,

Inside the engine block is remarkable clean, and there is no endfloat in the crankshaft, but it was a very low mileage engine.

As you can see here the tinwork needs cleaning and repainting, but thats not a big job.

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Even though I bought new old stock replacement cills, the repair needed is small enough to fix it on the car and keep more of the original metal

And the other side,

And a better view of the hole in question.

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

And the underneath of the rear drivers side wing bottom. They normally go here due to the drain hloes not being kept clear. I made all this on my white fastback, but managed to source a new rh and left hand for this car.

And the passenger side of the wing bottom. This is the worst rust repair. But the full size panel makes it simple.

And an upwards view of the engine bay, showing a perfect left and righthand corner panel, which are normally rotted out.

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Just ready to fit the exhaust heat exchange sections, and then the silencer. After that the manifold risers and twin carbs.
And then crank it to get the oil around the engine ready for the live start.

Starter motor fitted to the bolt on gearbox section cutaway.

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Someone had bodged the engine cooling abilities by bending an engine cooling flap to jam it open. This meant that the engine was constantly operating at below its optimum het range, and running too cool.
I managed to source a proper thermostat and mount bracket, and the flap control plate. I just had to make a new connection rod to operate the flap when the thermostat opened.
I checked it with a heat gun on the thermostat a few times, and it opens and closes perfectly.

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I finally got the engine together, timed, and carbs cleaned ready for a start. And here we go.

Post by 765489 »

Great sound out of it Kadman, can't wait to see the finished job.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:24 am Great sound out of it Kadman, can't wait to see the finished job.
Yeah, sounds brilliant considering its the first start up.
It normally takes a while for the new parts to bed in , and then the carbs need re setting after that. And then a valve setting job. Thats when you normally hit the sweet spot on an engine build. But it looks very promising at the moment.

I am just heading out now to give it a 20 minute break in at 1500-2000 rpm. And then its into the car :)

Post by 765489 »

kadman wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:34 am Yeah, sounds brilliant considering its the first start up.
It normally takes a while for the new parts to bed in , and then the carbs need re setting after that. And then a valve setting job. Thats when you normally hit the sweet spot on an engine build. But it looks very promising at the moment.

I am just heading out now to give it a 20 minute break in at 1500-2000 rpm. And then its into the car :)
My brother is a mechanic too and am always amazed at the skill and memory involved in replacing engines and splitting tractors etc. Would love to be able to do something like this but I think I'd be better off sticking to watching other people do these things :mrgreen:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:42 am My brother is a mechanic too and am always amazed at the skill and memory involved in replacing engines and splitting tractors etc. Would love to be able to do something like this but I think I'd be better off sticking to watching other people do these things :mrgreen:
Well technically I trained as an architectural joiner, heavily involved with woodwork. But I learnt all my mechanic skills from my dad, who is still working on engines at 90 years of age. He has been working on beetles since the early 50's. I remember growing up in London and coming home from school to see an assortment of car parts in various states of dis assembly sitting on the kitchen table :lol:
It was amazing back then.
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

Great progress.
Will it make it to a car show this year?
I would love to see it close up.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Fratello wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:09 am Great progress.
Will it make it to a car show this year?
I would love to see it close up.
It could in its current condition. But I want to replace all the brake lines first for safety, and check the steering components as well.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Rolling on with the final bits'n'bobs on the white Fastback....I have just fitted what I call "The beer cooler" :lol:

Its almost the last essential item ;)
Attachments
DSCF4854r.jpg
DSCF4854r.jpg (76.2 KiB) Viewed 4055 times
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

On the 67 variant, all the brakelines have been replaced, as well as the hoses and 1 rear wheel cylinder.
Just have to do new brakeshoes. Then its safely movable around the yard for some body work of a minor nature.

But all that will have to wait as I am off now to look at a beetle convertible that has surfaced. Missus does not know yet. SSsssshhh. :lol:

Post by 765489 »

The beer cooler looks the business.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:48 am The beer cooler looks the business.
Anything to do with beer is always a good addition :D
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Back from a very quick peek at the convertable.
Its owned by a woman living in Dublin, but its 15 minutes from me. It has not moved in the driveway for 8 years( thanks google), and the very quick look tells me it needs a complete resto with some new metalwork added. Its scruffy looking, but I am confident I could have it running in an hour, and driving in two...........so it needs to come home with me if it is to survive :lol:

It surprises me how many women owners have beetles, only to realise if you cant service them, or find some mechanic who will without scalping your purse in the process.....then classic beetles are not for you.

Missus will say....BUT YOU HAVE ENOUGH CARS, WE DONT HAVE ROOM. Where upon I shall retort, But you have FIVE chickens that take up more room than my 2 cars, soon to be 3...that leaves me with room for 2 more purchases. And I know she wont resort to violence at this stage, anyway I could take her in the second round........if i survive the TEN count in round one :lol: :lol: :lol:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:04 pmMissus will say....BUT YOU HAVE ENOUGH CARS, WE DONT HAVE ROOM. Where upon I shall retort, But you have FIVE chickens that take up more room than my 2 cars, soon to be 3...that leaves me with room for 2 more purchases. And I know she wont resort to violence at this stage, anyway I could take her in the second round........if i survive the TEN count in round one :lol: :lol: :lol:
Any chance you could live-stream that interaction on here? Gubu could do with the traffic! :lol:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

CelticRambler wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:17 pm Any chance you could live-stream that interaction on here? Gubu could do with the traffic! :lol:
I could for sure, and would love to help GUBU out. But some things are best left alone, and i have no intention of poking at the sleeping dragon....sshhh.

I have just introduced the idea, and the picture of the said vehicle in question..........and i am still here. Win,Win methinks :lol:

Anyway you dont really want to see a grown man cry :lol: :lol: :lol:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Success.
She has actually warmed to the idea of driving a convertible to a classic car show. Well its not like my golden locks will be blowing in the breeze with the roof down..
Its a barren landscape there i must admit now. Herself says my hair cant wave in the breeze as i drive along, coz its already waved good bye.
Bloody cheek.
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

Any progress on the blue Type 3 lately? Might you provide updates here rather than over in the old place?