Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Recommend a dash cam? Preferably a discrete one.

Four wheels good
Séimhe

Recommend a dash cam? Preferably a discrete one.

Post by Séimhe »

A neighbour bought a dash cam a while back and asked me to fit it for her. I forget the brand, but once it was fitted there were two issues (well, one but it's a result of #1).

1. A cam has to be placed where it doesn't obstruct the drivers view, usually between the rear view mirror and the wind shield.

2. I did the best I could to make the cable hidden, but it was still awful. Went from camera to "handle" above the passenger window and from there around the back of the passenger seat. Then back between the two front seats where the cigarette charger is (in front of hand brake).

Aon moltaí?

Le meas

Re: Recommend a dash cam? Preferably a discrete one.

Post by 490808 »

What car is it perhaps someone here will know whats the best cable route for it?

I've done a couple of fords and VWs and always had to remove at least one trim panel to get a good cable run. Up above the windscreen you can normally push the cable up in under the roof trim. The same down the side but sometimes its easier to take the trim off at that point then your under the dash heading for the fuse panel which is where you often need to take a larger chunk of trim off to get a hidden cable run. Which side of the window you come down depends where the fuses are.

I never use the cigarette lighter I use a permanently fixed power kit like this one but the main reason for removing a panel is for the cable run for the hardwired power.

I've always used Nextbase cameras which haven't let me down yet. I don't go much on all the fancy features as I just pull the SD card and put it in a computer if I need to look at it. This is the one I have myself currently

One big tip is to clean the window where the suction cap sticks on with isopropyl alcohol before sticking the mount on. Mine comes off maybe once a year put on that way.
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

@TCO thanks, that's really helpful. The car is a Ford Fiesta Titanium.

Like yourself, I'm not into lots of features. I'd prefer it to quietly do it's job until I need to review something. I'll probably go with your recommendation.

I'll go for a permanently fixed power kit too, as you suggested. Possibly even the one you linked to :) Any experience with outfitting a Ford Fiesta?

Post by 490808 »

iirc the Fuse box is behind the glove box. So you need to take the glove box out for easy access (4 screws in the top of it?) then there may be a panel or piece of trim on the passenger side to the left of the glove box that makes life easier if you remove it?
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I've a Garmin one so that's nice and compact. I have it up behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side so it can't be seen at all from the driver's seat.

The wiring goes across the passenger visor. Then down behind the A post trim and between the door rubber and dashboard. Then across the floor under the carpet and popping up next to the centre console.
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

Thanks guys. That's great info. If I can't get through it I'll go to a garage :) Will check out Garmin too, can you recommend a lower-cost model? They've quite a range to pick from.
Frank

Post by Frank »

The Viofos are a nice tidy shape and have very good picture quality.
PogMoThoin

Post by PogMoThoin »

I have 2 of these find them very decent, one hardwired in the car (Focus) and fitted up behind the passenger visor. The van has a USB and power port at the windscreen (Transit Custom) so no need to hardwire bought a short cable on Amazon. It does GPS so you can add the timeline location map speed to the footage. It's discounted every so often on Amazon

4K Ultrta HD Dash Cam - AZDOME...
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Most dash cams give good picture quality during the day. The picture quality can vary a lot between different models at night. I put the model number of any dashcam I was looking to but into YouTube and then looked at the quality of the video.
WestWicklow1
Verified Username

Post by WestWicklow1 »

Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

Went with this one in the end based on positive reviews and sample footage:

It hasn't arrived yet, but I'll update when it's all running.