Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Vintage Car Rallies/Autojumbles etc.

Four wheels good
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Vintage Car Rallies/Autojumbles etc.

Post by Del.Monte »

'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Vintage Car Rallies/Autojumbles etc.

Post by kadman »

Looks like a good day out, weather permitting.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I brought my car to a general vintage rally once and that was enough. I saw people trying to open the door of my car and then give out when they realised it was locked. Other people were leaving their kids jump on the seats of a convertible Merc that had the top down. The jealously from the general public was amazing with comments saying "oh that's the wrong colour thing" on an unrestored original car.

However, going to a marque specific vintage rally was totally different in the way the people looked at the cars, no touching and generally giving advise on how to get things done, odd bits, etc.

I've been to one or two autojumbles and the only thing I saw was fit for the scrap bin. Most items looked like they were salvaged from the bottom of a river or a shed clear out with no sorting.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:05 pm I brought my car to a general vintage rally once and that was enough. I saw people trying to open the door of my car and then give out when they realised it was locked. Other people were leaving their kids jump on the seats of a convertible Merc that had the top down. The jealously from the general public was amazing with comments saying "oh that's the wrong colour thing" on an unrestored original car.

However, going to a marque specific vintage rally was totally different in the way the people looked at the cars, no touching and generally giving advise on how to get things done, odd bits, etc.

I've been to one or two autojumbles and the only thing I saw was fit for the scrap bin. Most items looked like they were salvaged from the bottom of a river or a shed clear out with no sorting.
Well, glad that I posted now. :mrgreen:

Autojumbles/Vintage rallies etc. are like most things - hit or miss. I have run both and attended many, some have been excellent while others have been awful. Same with car boot sales. That said I have yet to attend a rally, autojumble or car boot sale where I didn't find something of interest or pick up some useful information or make new contacts. They are what you make of them.
'no more blah blah blah'