Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us. We're aware of an issue that our activation emails are not getting through to a handful of gmail users. If you registered but did not receive an activation email, let us know. If you're not so new here, you can dismiss this message.

How should we develop Ireland's railways - North and South

All things commuting + bus and rail enthusiasts
Hairy-Joe

Re: How should we develop Ireland's railways - North and South

Post by Hairy-Joe »

As I've said elsewhere, timetables and connected services are what's needed. Why isn't there park and ride outside Dublin, Cork, Limerick etc where people can park and get trains/buses into the city centre. Why isn't there connected bus and rail? Why can't the rural bus routes start/finish at train stations in smaller towns (eg Mallow, Killarney, Nenagh,etc) then taking in the nearby towns & villages?

Using public transport here is a bit of a joke. I'd have to get two buses for me to get to work taking almost 3 hours with a layover of almost an hour. It's a 25 minute drive.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:19 pm As I've said elsewhere, timetables and connected services are what's needed. Why isn't there park and ride outside Dublin, Cork, Limerick etc where people can park and get trains/buses into the city centre. Why isn't there connected bus and rail? Why can't the rural bus routes start/finish at train stations in smaller towns (eg Mallow, Killarney, Nenagh,etc) then taking in the nearby towns & villages?

Using public transport here is a bit of a joke. I'd have to get two buses for me to get to work taking almost 3 hours with a layover of almost an hour. It's a 25 minute drive.
Lol. We used to have all of the above - in the private era - then along came CIE and the politicians.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Sadly the one hope for the railways was the Greens, but they have zero knowledge about the railways and, indeed, they were part of the government that presided over the closure of the Waterford/Rosslare route
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:40 pm Lol. We used to have all of the above - in the private era - then along came CIE and the politicians.
Ya, I know. I'm in cloud cookoo land thinking something sensible wlii happen.....