Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

I like trains...

All things commuting + bus and rail enthusiasts
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: I like trains...

Post by Del.Monte »

Would be fun if like on CIE in days gone by when the announcement would come "would passengers at the rear of the train please move forward to alight safely at the platform" or "the dining car is situated near the front of the train". :mrgreen:

As an aside, there's probably more 'proper' carriages in that train than in the entire NIR/CIE fleet. 22000 ICR units don't qualify as proper carriages and are no more than glorified buses on rails. In truth they are like the DeLorean car - exterior style over interior substance.

'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:37 am"the dining car is situated near the front of the train". :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Just found this on YouTube - Rosslare Harbour/Connolly in 30 minutes - just about right. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

A passing glimpse of the newest model TGV that'll enter service in France in 2024, here passing through Alsace on its way to the test circuit in the Czech Republic.

Apparently it's almost exactly the same as the new high-speed train that Amtrak have just put into service (or are about to) ... except that our European rail network will allow it to run about 100-200kmh faster than it can in the USA. :geek:

Post by 95438756 »

And supposedly the biggest Model Railroad in the US
KHD

Post by KHD »

That's some job gugleguy.
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

Have to admit read title as I like Trans 🤣, must dig out the one in the attic for around the Christmas tree.

Post by 95438756 »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:54 pm Have to admit read title as I like Trans 🤣, must dig out the one in the attic for around the Christmas tree.
I'm sure you can have a go at outdoing our American friends, Jack. Good Luck :P
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Heart attacks at Heuston.
This is an extract from an article on 'Freight Only Lines' that appeared in the very respectful Journal of the Irish Railway Record Society in 1981. Over forty years later and it still makes me laugh. The blazers in CIE, and many of the IRRS committee, were apoplectic by the image of the Kingscourt freight depot conjured up by the article. I would have given anything to be a fly on the wall in Heuston when the matter was discussed - as it was - and as the stuffed shirts in the IRRS tried to repair the damage in their relationship with senior CIE management.
In my experience the article very accurately reflected the state of many railway facilities around the country and that's no reflection on the operating staff who had to make the best of whatever management left them with. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

Thanks for that. I read it years ago.
You can almost smell the fry and feel the armchair.

At leat their was a line back then. CIE closed in in 2001 after ILDA strikes and having spent €1m the year before on level crossing upgrades. No one outside of rail enthuiast circles noticed or cared. Now the tracks are gone to make it into greenway. A very bad decision.

I wonder did Paddy get a new chair in 1981 sent from Heuston with a box of fresh sauce bottles?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

One of my favourite railway videos - back in my mind today due to the sad news of the death of veteran West of Ireland rail campaigner Micheál Mac Gréil.
He appears in the movie.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

And while on the subject of railway movies...."The 3.10 from Claremorris" is another epic (2.5 hour long!) movie about Fr.Mac Greil's railway.

A low budget (no budget according to its director, Tom Walsh of Laighne Films) the 3.10 to Claremorris was shot in the west of Ireland – Mayo and Sligo in 2009. The unlikely storyline concerns the restoration of the railway linking Claremorris to Collooney and is a parody on the classic western “The 3.10 to Yuma” (1957). In this movie the Honda 50 replaces the horse but otherwise it follows faithfully the Hollywood model with bank robberies, saloon fights and a High Noon type showdown. The actors visibly grow into their roles as the two and a half hour (!) epic wends its way to an unlikely conclusion. Coolaney, Sligo railway station, Collooney, Tubbercurry and the Ox Mountains form the backdrop to the movie. A must for the diehard collector of Irish movies but heavy going for your average punter.

It's a rare bird which I have on DVD but you will have to prise it from my cold, dead hands. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Walt's larger scale model railroad fancy
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Very sad person that I am, I was at Enniscorthy Station at lunchtime today to photograph Irish Rail's brand new TRV (Track Recording Vehicle) on its maiden run - if it was human you would say only a mother could love it. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Well, Irish rail, Northern Rail British Rail, SNCF aren't in as bad a way as Norfolk rail in the US, never mention Greek Rail disaster: I wonder what Beau would say about the Greek disaster but this is Beau's take on legislation passed on the Ohio train disaster in February
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

American railroads are largely about freight and with the huge tonnages carried accidents are bound to happen. Obviously there's always more that can be done to improve safety.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Narrow Gauge steam engines in Wales in 1970's - silent but still quite watchable
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:06 pm American railroads are largely about freight and with the huge tonnages carried accidents are bound to happen. Obviously there's always more that can be done to improve safety.
A lot of European railway is about Freight also. I remember a few years ago camping on the banks of the Rhine in Koblenz. I was looking across at the rail line and the amount of 50plus carriage freight trains passing was very high.

However, the amount of barges with bulk cargo passing at the same time dwarfed them.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

In my ongoing quest for a relatively stressless, toll-free North-South route that keeps me well clear of Paris, I came upon a new aire de stationnement for campers in the town of Pacy-sur-Eure, which (not at all coincidentally) happens to be situated right beside a railway museum. I arrived in the dead of night, and had a fixed place to be and a fixed time to be there the next day ... but still managed to squeeze in a quick scout of the location for future reference.

As you can see, the museum itself is also being redeveloped. Looks like the kind of place that might actually be worth scheduling an extended stop for on future trips north. :)
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I came across this tonight and watched it though. Twenty six years since my last trip on the Ffestiniog Railway and that was before the rebuilding of the Welsh Highland route to Caernarvon. You don't have to be any class of a railway enthusiast to enjoy the wonderful scenery and Welsh hospitality - not to mention the trains. If you haven't been - go! :D

'no more blah blah blah'
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

Any of you ever watch that fecking lunatic on tiktok that loves trains. Francis Bourgeois is his name. Seriously, the chap fecking loves trains and seems to know everything about them.
He also has a face cam type thing and I think I know what his cum face looks like, he makes some strange sounds and faces when he see's a train he never seen before

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Just seen him Seany. He is an adorable geek.

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

and trams. :D

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Fine words from Norfolk rail CEO. Could Northern Rail / Irish rail learn a thing or 2.
Glaceon
Verified Username

Post by Glaceon »

Another beauty from Ernie's archive, B124 near Dungarvan in 1967.