Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

"Women only" rail carriages

All things commuting + bus and rail enthusiasts
Del.Monte
Verified Username

"Women only" rail carriages

Post by Del.Monte »

This nonsense being given oxygen by Andrea Gilligan - how about carriages with no windows, seats or lighting for scumbags instead?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/wome ... -jw287tx55

Apparently not all men masturbate on the DART. :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'

Re: "Women only" rail carriages

Post by 490808 »

Sorry ladies you can't have equality and ladies only carriages.

We can't have mens only clubs so no way are you getting ladies only carriages.

Either there is equality or there isn't.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

There aren't enough carriages in Scotland or, indeed Ireland, for this numpty idea. A security guard at each door to prevent males entering? What about men who identify as women but look male? How about butch looking lesbians or people who identify as vegetables? I expect the stupid Greens to embrace this idea.
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Jenny and her boss Nicky will have to figure out first what is a female. 🙄
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 490808 »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:49 pm There aren't enough carriages in Scotland or, indeed Ireland, for this numpty idea. A security guard at each door to prevent males entering? What about men who identify as women but look male? How about butch looking lesbians or people who identify as vegetables? I expect the stupid Greens to embrace this idea.
Did Ireland ever have Ladies Only waiting rooms? I can remember them in the UK probably in the late 70's?

I can live with ladies only waiting rooms they could be like an large entrance room to the ladies loo (which I think some of them used to be).
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

They've had it in India for a while now:

"In an effort to tackle widespread sexual harassment on India's railways, the authorities have introduced female-only services in four of the country's largest cities.
Packed into crowded carriages with men, women are often the victims of groping and catcalling.
The trend has worsened as large numbers of women started to join the workforce during the past decade.
As Supriya Sobti reports from Mumbai, many women say the new female-only carriages are a good start to addressing the problem."

First and foremost, all men need to respect women and not cause them fear. Secondly, until that point in time, women are entitled to a safe ride on a train without the constant fear of being groped by a pervy wanker.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The Continental Op wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:13 pm Did Ireland ever have Ladies Only waiting rooms? I can remember them in the UK probably in the late 70's?

I can live with ladies only waiting rooms they could be like an large entrance room to the ladies loo (which I think some of them used to be).

Post 1925 GSR Ladies Waiting Room Sign

There used to be ladies waiting rooms many, many years ago but these days you're lucky if there's even one for everybody. Irish Rail's 'plan' is bare platforms with bus shelters for everywhere outside the GDA.
Last edited by Del.Monte on Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

Norman Breaks wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:18 pm They've had it in India for a while now:

And so they should but we have reached a level where that shouldn't be necessary.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

The Continental Op wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:25 pm And so they should but we have reached a level where that shouldn't be necessary.
I'd like to think we have too, but what do women say? It's not for men to tell women they should feel safe.

Post by 490808 »

Norman Breaks wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:16 pm I'd like to think we have too, but what do women say? It's not for men to tell women they should feel safe.
If its safe to walk around drunk men in a nightclub wearing nothing more than a couple of small tea towels then surely it must be safe for women to ride on a train?

If you want to make women a separate group in a modern society where do you stop?

I've no issue with extra policing to protect women because it doesn't make them a special group when we need more policing anyway.
Frank

Post by Frank »

I wouldn't feel safe on a train here at night either so I will require a private carriage also.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Frank wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:23 pm I wouldn't feel safe on a train here at night either so I will require a private carriage also.
And a designated security guard.
'no more blah blah blah'
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

The Continental Op wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:25 pm If its safe to walk around drunk men in a nightclub wearing nothing more than a couple of small tea towels then surely it must be safe for women to ride on a train?

If you want to make women a separate group in a modern society where do you stop?

I've no issue with extra policing to protect women because it doesn't make them a special group when we need more policing anyway.
Women don't have to go to clubs, get drunk or wear tea towels. Some choose to. Often they are in groups who look out for them.

Some women DO have to go to work to support themselves and their families. Many of them alone. That's how society is these days. They deserve to be able to do so in a safe manner.

Also, clubs have bouncers who wouldn't bat an eye at grabbing a trouble maker/groper and turfing them out, banning them. Men know this. Often on public transport there is nowhere to turn for a woman in distress.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

As a younger woman I experienced being held captive in an otherwise empty train carriage by a maddened wild-looking dangerous man who pinned me into a corner and masturbated at me for 20 minutes. I was literally paralysed with fear and could not move a single muscle. When the train doors opened my adrenaline suddenly surged and I pushed past him and fainted onto the platform.
It was among one of the most dangerous things I have experienced as he was a completely psychotic individual who I was acutely conscious could have chosen to kill me, (though it was not the most dangerous thing that I have experienced, unfortunately).

It is not a new thing for women to be in danger of assault on trains. Or anywhere. Or for men to be in danger either.
The point of that being that creating women only carriages does not stop the problem. Harsh sentences might help. Stricter laws. Keeping sex offenders out of society.

On the whole, though it has disadvantages, I don't have a problem as such with a woman's only carriage. It would not have stopped the person who assaulted me on a train. It might help someone though, give them a bit of peace and security. I never let it stop me traveling widely but I would be very aware even decades later of never remaining in an emptying carriage and always checking who is around.

Post by 765489 »

I was reading the post here about India and just got this image in my head of a sign over the door of the train carriage saying "Women please use ladder to get on the roof of carriage"
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I once woke up from a deep sleep in the top bunk on a night train in India to find a group of young men were sitting crosslegged, chatting nicely together on the bunk opposite me, and one of the party was sitting on the end of my bunk. And both my feet were in his lap. And while chit chatting with the lads he was also giving my feet a very attentive and thorough foot massage, oil and all!
😮
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

isha wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:46 pm I once woke up from a deep sleep in the top bunk on a night train in India to find a group of young men were sitting crosslegged, chatting nicely together on the bunk opposite me, and one of the party was sitting on the end of my bunk. And both my feet were in his lap. And while chit chatting with the lads he was also giving my feet a very attentive and thorough foot massage, oil and all!
😮
Bleugh feet are fecking rotten, what kind of weirdo was he? He be getting sweet chin music fair lively.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Seanybiker wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:19 pm Bleugh feet are fecking rotten, what kind of weirdo was he? He be getting sweet chin music fair lively.
Maybe coming out of biker boots they are fecking rotten 😅 but my 🦶🦶 are grand.
I did not kick him but immediately pulled back my feet. For three seconds he held onto one of them and we had a brief stare off, which I decisively won.
Ah trains. 🙂
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

isha wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:17 pm Maybe coming out of biker boots they are fecking rotten 😅 but my 🦶🦶 are grand.
I did not kick him but immediately pulled back my feet. For three seconds he held onto one of them and we had a brief stare off, which I decisively won.
Ah trains. 🙂
HA Ha Ha yeah the boots could be making me nastier than they should be. Thats mad that he held onto one of your legs, he must have some fetish.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Celchick wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:41 pm the suggestion that women can't be seeking this if they want equality is a bit much. As if every woman believes that women should have things the exact same way as men do. We all know that men and women are different.
Agree with all of your post.

There is often this ugly element of schadenfreude - yiz wanted equality so suck it up etc. In some ways I can understand the response because there has been a lot of shrill, nasty stuff like the constant promotion of toxic masculinity etc. An example is the huge response about men in general after the recent terrible murder. But there was almost zero response when 2 teenage boys rushed to save a girl being sexually assaulted on the street - one got a bottle smashed over his head. There should have been as loud a balancing response in the social discourse about the protector role.

But it is no good to respond in kind to an imbalance, with different nasty stuff, an eye for an eye etc. Anyway.
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

isha wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:46 am Agree with all of your post.

There is often this ugly element of schadenfreude - yiz wanted equality so suck it up etc. In some ways I can understand the response because there has been a lot of shrill, nasty stuff like the constant promotion of toxic masculinity etc. An example is the huge response about men in general after the recent terrible murder. But there was almost zero response when 2 teenage boys rushed to save a girl being sexually assaulted on the street - one got a bottle smashed over his head. There should have been as loud a balancing response in the social discourse about the protector role.

But it is no good to respond in kind to an imbalance, with different nasty stuff, an eye for an eye etc. Anyway.
Didn't know one of them got bottled. Feck sake , fair play to the lads for jumping in before it got worse.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It was unhinged, wasn't it. I find all this kind of hyperbolic, ideological stuff very disturbing - how far will it go, how mad will the creatures be who will rule over us! :mrgreen:
BadaBing

Post by BadaBing »

More proof that women are incapable of thinking long term in their best interests.
The woke male eejits will take up this cause with great vigor, meanwhile all the men wont give a hoot until its pointed out if this happens it sets a precedent , men will legally be able to have men only establishments, there will be no end of men who support this, get away from the hens for a bit of peace and quite, a total vote winner if ever their was.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

isha wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:48 pm As a younger woman I experienced being held captive in an otherwise empty train carriage by a maddened wild-looking dangerous man who pinned me into a corner and masturbated at me for 20 minutes.
That's horrible. I'm sorry you had to experience that.