Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Cork people are slow learners...

All things commuting + bus and rail enthusiasts
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Cork people are slow learners...

Post by Del.Monte »

I see the penny has finally dropped but far too late in the day and the Greens and their lycra followers must be kept happy - with the Shinners at the gates.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40943927.html
'no more blah blah blah'

Re: Cork people are slow learners...

Post by 95438756 »

I have to agree about thread title Del. In todays Cork Examiner, Emma deSouza "influencer" writes about how the Snak Truss leadership contest, the UK government wants to completely feck things up with Ireland. Google Emma deSouza to find out more, how "woke" she is etc.
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

Politicians don't know what railways are for. Mostly CIE is thought of a sort of dole.

Equally many politicians don't know about cycling and they think cyclists are best kept off the lovely new roads and that bicycles are mostly for tourists.

Recently there was a call from one of the South East councils to lift Waterford-Rosslare and make it a greenway. This is a railway that is still usable. Again this shows a lack of understanding of transportation land use. Gobsheens.

Yes too late for Youghal, for now. It would look fairly stupid demolishing the greenway before it is open. Heavy rail and bikes can't share alignments unless fencing is provided throughout which is not great. CIE should have been pushing for the likes Navan and Youghal reopenings but have zero interest. Their mission of rail closures continues.

I don't think the Greenway prevents Youghal reopening. I just looked at the map and there are small roads to accomodate cyclists between Midelton and Youghal without having to go on N25 very much so there is an alternative.

The Greens should have spotted this.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

And the latest re-announcement of double tracking the line from Cobh Junction to Midleton to allow for trains every 10 minutes at peak times - to a town with a population of 10,048 is pure bonkers. Instead the money to be squandered on this should be put into rebuilding the line from Midleton to Youghal. This should be followed by the planned development of new towns along the route.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

The problem with Midleton is two fold. First is that there's a large population living close to Midleton but not in Midleton (Cloyne, Shannagarry, Mogelly, Castle martyr, Killagh, etc). I expect some of them drive to Midleton to get the train to Cork. As it's the last point of the line so people east of there (who would be served by the line) drive to Midleton to get the train.

Second is Irish Rail's inability to do ANYTHING in a timely manner. A friend of mine started the recruitment process to become a train driver over 2 years ago and the process is still ongoing!
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:46 am

Second is Irish Rail's inability to do ANYTHING in a timely manner. A friend of mine started the recruitment process to become a train driver over 2 years ago and the process is still ongoing!
In my experience, train driving is very much a closed shop. All these practices were supposed to be rooted out, but I doubt it.