Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The return of the 'Quiet' carriage on the Dublin/Cork train

All things commuting + bus and rail enthusiasts
Del.Monte
Verified Username

The return of the 'Quiet' carriage on the Dublin/Cork train

Post by Del.Monte »

Got to laugh at this announcement when considered against this: https://www.echolive.ie/corkviews/arid-40954757.html

Anyway, why should just passengers on the Dublin/Cork train benefit from this plan? Of course, the reason is that the rest of Irish Rail's services are handled by unpleasant, stuffy, noisy, crowded - short - ICR 22000 class railcars. You're doing well to get a seat on many of these services let alone a quiet one.
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Re: The return of the 'Quiet' carriage on the Dublin/Cork train

Post by kadman »

SSSSssshh, stay quite there please...... :lol:
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

Everyone should be entitled to quiet rail travel with no hassle but there you go - good luck to anyone enforcing an anti-antisocial program.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

But what happens when some scumbag doesn't want peace and quiet.................

Post by 95438756 »

My €0.02 : 10 years ago travelling from Cork to Dublin Heuston on a DMC. Had selected and booked my seat place online.
Sitting on my tod on an afternoon train, in a 4 seat with table configuration. At Mallow, 3 senior citizens boarded, and even though there were other seats available sat down beside me and started a lively conversation as if I was a piece of furniture. After a few minutes I got up, spoke to an inspector just to say I was moving seats. She understood.

Post by 95438756 »

And RTE website now publishing it.
https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2022/1 ... -carriage/ TBF This is going to be as successful as "Car - Free - Day". [S]Just another CAR DAY[/S]
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Now that's a joke if ever I heard one.....
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

So glad IE continue their obsession with slapping Irish on everything - I should imagine that there are more Ukrainian/Russian speakers in Ireland today than Irish speakers. The colour certainly stands out but like everything else that CIE do it won't be properly supervised and will eventually disappear. The IE spin doctor in that RTE piece backs up what I said about it not being practical on other routes although she tip-toed around the exact reason but God help her, she probably doesn't know herself. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'