Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Limerick - Foynes line reopening actually happening!

All things commuting + bus and rail enthusiasts
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Limerick - Foynes line reopening actually happening!

Post by Del.Monte »

After months of speculation, cutting hedges and general farting about this project is actually happening! This from Irish Rail's website: https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/news/con ... -foynes-ra

Hopefully the line will reopen for passenger services too and this should be allowed for in the reconstruction. As part of the any work at Foynes itself the unique station complex should be retained and not swept aside as is CIE's speciality.
'no more blah blah blah'

Re: Limerick - Foynes line reopening actually happening!

Post by 95438756 »

Not just another eco story about a fox family now in Inchicore, as published on their YouTube channel, a video which belongs more to an episode in the TV series Iaranród Enda.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I'm not too familiar with that neck of the woods. Would there be enough for a decent passenger service? Then again, if the put in a proper passenger service and the county council copped on and zoned lands, their could be a nice development along there (wishful thinking by me)
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Wishful thinking but there's already potential - Adare and Foynes. And, as you say, there's plenty of land for rezoning and building beside infrastructure makes sense rather than trying to shoe-horn railways/tramways/bus lanes into congested areas.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

You know, I've just looked at a map and if properly done, it would make a massive difference to west Limerick. I'd look for passenger stations in Patrickswell, Adare and Askeaton (it's close enough). I'd put in BIG park and Ride parking at those stations. I'd also put a station in Raheen business park.

That should encourage a lot of people into using it, especially if a station is put in Raheen Business Park.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

More on the reopening here: https://www.limerickpost.ie/2023/01/08/ ... n=Facebook What I still cannot pin down is what traffic has been secured for the line - vague talk of a new Zinc mine near Dromkeen......Anybody know more?
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

No, idea OP but now that IE has removed the crane from Waterford Yard, Foynes must be higher up on their agenda to develop as a Freight yard. So now Foynes is secondary to Ballina. I have'nt forgotten Sligo Freight Yard, but IE seem to be happy to leave that rot in peace.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Traffic that will use it from Patricks well, Adare and Askeaton is hopefully the civilized sort given the areas recent media exposure.

Sure next they will be landing flying boats in Foynes like they used to decades ago :lol:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

kadman wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:00 pm Traffic that will use it from Patricks well, Adare and Askeaton is hopefully the civilized sort given the areas recent media exposure.

Sure next they will be landing flying boats in Foynes like they used to decades ago :lol:
You're safe enough there, CIE/Limerick County Council and the Greens have made sure that trains will never reach Rathkeale again.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Hang on DM, if CIE have their way, no train would run on any lines outside the Pale.

Post by 95438756 »

gugleguy wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:57 pm No, idea OP but now that IE has removed the crane from Waterford Yard, Foynes must be higher up on their agenda to develop as a Freight yard. So now Foynes is secondary to Ballina. I have'nt forgotten Sligo Freight Yard, but IE seem to be happy to leave that rot in peace.
Sorry made fatal error and omitted Portarlington.
A freight depot but not much sign of activity these Days.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

More pressure on for passenger services on the line in time for the Ryder Cup at Adare. A confusing article which jumbles up the facts unmercifully but the point is that the direction of thinking is good.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home ... m=facebook
'no more blah blah blah'