Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Luas

All things commuting + bus and rail enthusiasts
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Luas

Post by Del.Monte »

A dedicated transport police service has been called for by many of us for years but nobody is listening. It will probably take somebody being killed before any sort of action is taken. I ticked off the Red line, including Saggart and the Point, in my tram-spotters book when they were still new but avoid like the plague now. I still use the Green line regularly but it is quite civilised compared to the Red.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Post by Hodors Appletart »

I'm living quite close to Broombridge, and the feeder bus in from Finglas (40E) runs almost to my front door, so I'm a regular on the Green Line, both for work and just getting in to town, it has really handy stops both North and South city.

Interesting to see the eventual route of the extension to Charlestown
Hold The Door
AmEireCan

Post by AmEireCan »

My criticism of the Luas is, like the DART, it's really only useful if you live along the route. Sure, it's handy the few times a year I'm transferring between Connolly and Heuston or if I'm going to see a concert at the 3arena, but for day-to-day commuting it's not much use to me. I'm sure tourists find it very useful though.

Dublin public transport's biggest weakness is that all routes force you to go through the city center. You can't travel from Blackrock to Drimnagh without transferring in the city center, for example. I'd love to see a star and grid transport pattern. Don't look at maps of Dublin's tram network from 1900. It will break your heart.

I won't even comment on the anti-social problems that plague the Red Line (and Dublin City in general tbh). It's only when you live abroad for a while that you realise it's not normal to be harassed for 2 euro or a cigarette every few steps as you try to go about your business.
Joe Guffy

Post by Joe Guffy »

AmEireCan wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:33 am

Dublin public transport's biggest weakness is that all routes force you to go through the city center. You can't travel from Blackrock to Drimnagh without transferring in the city center, for example. I'd love to see a star and grid transport pattern. Don't look at maps of Dublin's tram network from 1900. It will break your heart.
Apart from getting the 17 from Blackrock or the 18 from Sandymount, no no you can't make such a journey.
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

AmEireCan wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:33 am My criticism of the Luas is, like the DART, it's really only useful if you live along the route.
Hold The Door
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

AmEireCan wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:33 am My criticism of the Luas is, like the DART, it's really only useful if you live along the route.
this is the same for any public transport route though, no?

the 46a is only useful for people who live on the route, the same for any specific numbered bus route
AmEireCan wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:33 amDublin public transport's biggest weakness is that all routes force you to go through the city center. You can't travel from Blackrock to Drimnagh without transferring in the city center, for example. I'd love to see a star and grid transport pattern. Don't look at maps of Dublin's tram network from 1900. It will break your heart.
Bus Connect is attempting to remedy this
Hold The Door
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

I used to get the Red Line daily from Connolly to Heuston. Once you got it at peak times it was grand but a few dodgy moments outside of that. A friend was telling me that with the absence of a lot of "normal" people due to wfh, the Luas and the DART have got a fair bit rougher. Anyone experience that?
AmEireCan

Post by AmEireCan »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:28 pm this is the same for any public transport route though, no?

the 46a is only useful for people who live on the route, the same for any specific numbered bus route
Fair retort but I was thinking of the London Underground or the NY subway where no matter where you are in the city, you're only a short walk away from a station. Everybody in London and New York uses the Tube/Subway thanks to the high density of stations. You may say that comparing Dublin to those alpha cities is unfair, and you're probably right, but it doesn't contradict the fact the Luas is only useful for a small percentage of Dublin residents.

Similarly in Los Angeles, a sprawling metropolis larger than county Cork, nobody uses the underground metro except for the poor and tourists who don't know any better. Unless you can walk to a train station, it's useless. If people need to get in their car to drive to the station, they may as well stay in their car and drive the entire way to the destination. Especially in a car-centric city like LA where parking is plentiful along the endless strip malls.
pyramidtheme

Post by pyramidtheme »

20 Strong gang storms luas in city center, fight ensued, 1 armed with a knife, none caught, no security presence or police response.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-n ... r-21705180

People are assaulted on or around LUAS platforms weekly, how long until somebody is killed on a tram?
Why do the operators think having a handful of security guards sometimes wander between trams is enough?
AmEireCan

Post by AmEireCan »

It's a bit silly, isn't it? A well-dressed commuter going to work who forgot to tag on will be harassed, humiliated and fined by the ticket inspector. But the aggressive, knife carrying scrote playing loud, obnoxious rap music on his phone (and never paid for a ticket in his life) will be left alone. Luas ticket inspectors and security staff are cowards. They want an easy shift and will only target the low hanging fruit of ordinary, decent people who they know will not get violent and will just pay the fine.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

You can hardly expect the ticket inspector on the Luas to get into a physical confrontation with a knife carrying scrote (+ his pals) can you. Just having a Luas uniform and a high vis vest doesn't turn one into Dirty Harry or Jackie Chan. Transport police with full garda powers, undercover as well as uniformed have been needed for decades. Contact your local TDs and ask them to do something.
'no more blah blah blah'