Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The 'new' Connemara Railway

All things commuting + bus and rail enthusiasts
Del.Monte
Verified Username

The 'new' Connemara Railway

Post by Del.Monte »

I thought that I had already posted here about this project but I can't find anything so here's some information.
A stretch of the former Midland Great Western Railway branch from Galway to Clifden is being restored at Maam Cross - near to Peacockes Hotel which will be a familiar landmark to anyone using the N59. The original railway operated from 1895 to 1935 at which time it was closed an dismantled.

Restoration of the station at Maam Cross commenced in 2020 and a section of temporary narrow line was laid to give visitors some idea of the potential of the project. This narrow gauge track will eventually disappear to replaced by standard gauge track. Standard gauge rails and equipment have been arriving on site during the last year and much work is afoot at the scenic location. The photographs below were taken today and there are many more to view on the Irish Railway Modeller website here: https://irishrailwaymodeller.com/topic/ ... y-project/

Left: The narrow gauge train in operation and Right: The brand new signal box.

As always, funds and volunteers are needed and more details are available here:
https://www.connemararailway.ie/
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: The 'new' Connemara Railway

Post by Del.Monte »

Here's something that you don't see every day - an ex. Caledonian Railway Sleeping Car from the UK arrived at Maam Cross yesterday. It is destined to be used as volunteer accommodation rather than an operational vehicle.

https://www.facebook.com/connemararailwayman
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

A second carriage arrived at Maam Cross during the week - former CIE Brake/Standard 1916 - in operational condition I believe.

'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Can we have this as the anthem on this thread...very fitting, as its gonna take them years to feck this up, sorry meant get this going.

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The story of railway preservation in the Republic is littered with failure but knowing the man behind this one I have high hopes. I would have gone for narrow gauge myself given that the new railway cannot recreate the original and small is beautiful as well as being far more manageable. Narrow gauge locomotives and rolling stock are much easier to source too. The scenery is spectacular, the enthusiasm is strong and only time will tell.
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

The guys on the ground in these types of ventures are always enthusiastic, but they wont get the support ongoing from those in the upper echelons that matter. Someone further up the food chain will fek it up. Greens will rip it up and make a cycleway for the tourists
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Latest news:

'no more blah blah blah'