Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The Michael Grimes Legacy

All things commuting + bus and rail enthusiasts
Del.Monte
Verified Username

The Michael Grimes Legacy

Post by Del.Monte »

This video is not for the faint-hearted in the bus enthusiast community.

'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Re: The Michael Grimes Legacy

Post by kadman »

What a waste. I would have thought that the government would have some responsibility to make sure that the proper end of life vehicle rules would operate when they sell these vehicles on after being paid for out of tax money.
I find it impossible to understand how this was allowed over the decades to develop into this.
Maddening. Yet again no one is accountable, at the very least a litter warden, at the highest level, a minister for transport.

Accountability be damned.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

It doesn't take much knowledge of road vehicles to imagine how much fuel, lubricants, anti-freeze etc. may have contaminated the site since this "museum" started out. Not forgetting the various fires that have happened there over the years.
'no more blah blah blah'
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

Can anyone explain what Grimes was at/trying to achieve there? I'm aware that he is a controversial character, was this actually meant to be some sort of bizarre museum or was there some other or sinister motive.

I started a thread on the "Museum" years ago on boards and there were jokes about it being a scrapyard waiting to happen, well they got that right!

80s and 90s Plaxton coaches and Ulsterbus vehicles don't do much for me but I like seeing stuff like CIE Atlanteans, KRs, KDs etc. did some of these end up in the Grimes scrapyard.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

BrianD3 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:51 pm Can anyone explain what Grimes was at/trying to achieve there? I'm aware that he is a controversial character, was this actually meant to be some sort of bizarre museum or was there some other or sinister motive.

I started a thread on the "Museum" years ago on boards and there were jokes about it being a scrapyard waiting to happen, well they got that right!

80s and 90s Plaxton coaches and Ulsterbus vehicles don't do much for me but I like seeing stuff like CIE Atlanteans, KRs, KDs etc. did some of these end up in the Grimes scrapyard.
Dr.Grimes is a controversial figure and I doubt anybody including himself could explain what he was trying to achieve. A few years before the bus museum he was behind a plan to reopen part of the the old Valentia railway line on the Ring of Kerry - near Kells - and that is probably where the bus 'museum' got its name. Almost 40 years ago I had to terminate his membership of an organisation of which I was Secretary - a tricky situation as he's something of a legal expert. I was lucky as I expect he had bigger fish to fry and I managed the situation quite painlessly. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Another Michael runs this place and it looks like it will soon be going the same way as the Kells Museum - skip to 2.41 for maximum enjoyment. :mrgreen:
https://www.rte.ie/player/series/nation ... 74-23-0043
'no more blah blah blah'