Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Mayo's Velo Rail Official Opening - 9th June 2023

All things commuting + bus and rail enthusiasts
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Mayo's Velo Rail Official Opening - 9th June 2023

Post by Del.Monte »

I was cynical when I first heard about this project and would still have my doubts about its viability but its good to see it reach this stage. The greenway mafia will be upset and that in itself makes me happy. I wonder just how fit you have to be to pedal these vehicles as I found even using a rail bike quite heavy going. https://www.velorail.ie/

https://www.facebook.com/Velorail.Ireland
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Mayo's Velo Rail Official Opening - 9th June 2023

Post by Del.Monte »

RTE footage here: https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2023/0 ... n-co-mayo/

Looks like hardship to me and kinda boring. The novelty would wear off (for me) after the first couple of hundred yards. Given that they travel in convoy what happens if someone gets bored or exhausted and wants to quit?

At least it helps safeguard the route for future reopening as a proper railway and perhaps the operators should be looking at something like this - FREE to a good home......

'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Yes, I think it would be boring, especially the convoy aspect. Traveling with a group is my idea of hell, even if it is only for a short while- misanthrope alert 😌. But it's good to keep the line open.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

What struck me was the level crossing close by, how many of them are on the route? Are you just looking at hedgerows over the whole course, which is the case with most railways?
Best of luck with it, as I wouldn't want to discourage any local initiative, but I have my doubts.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

marhay70 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:29 am What struck me was the level crossing close by, how many of them are on the route? Are you just looking at hedgerows over the whole course, which is the case with most railways?
Best of luck with it, as I wouldn't want to discourage any local initiative, but I have my doubts.
There are a number of level crossings. Both approaches into Kiltimagh station are guarded by substantial sets of level crossing gates - so who opens them is a mystery.
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:33 am There are a number of level crossings. Both approaches into Kiltimagh station are guarded by substantial sets of level crossing gates - so who opens them is a mystery.
Well, that and the single track would rule out anything other than a convoy system. You might do it once, for the novelty but I doubt there'll be many return visits. From memory, the terrain is quite hilly too, small wheels and short drive trains=aching calf and thigh muscles in a very short time, great workout for those Mayo footballers chasing Sam Maguire, though.