Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Irish Traction Group

All things commuting + bus and rail enthusiasts
Glaceon
Verified Username

Irish Traction Group

Post by Glaceon »

What's the story with these guys? Always seemed to be something fishy...

I remember when they got kicked out of Inchicore, apparently because IR wanted all heritage stock removed, yet the RPSI were able to keep theirs there. Now their stuff sits in Moyasta, surely rotting away with the sea air down there, or up in Downpatrick where at least it gets some use.

They had a few other coverups too. Like when they crashed 146 at Downpatrick on a training course and fabricated a story that they had to take it out of service for cab repairs... they just didn't say why but I've seen the photos. In addition to that, they got a replacement engine for 226 due to the original having a cracked engine block. It came out of 149 and apparently started and worked fine, but then they put the original back. I heard they either used the wrong oil or no oil at all!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Irish Traction Group

Post by Del.Monte »

I'm not going there save to say that without the Irish Traction Group carrying on the work of diesel preservation when the Great Southern Railway Preservation Society and WESTRAIL failed, that there wouldn't be much if anything preserved of Irish diesel locomotives today. The RPSI at Whitehead always had zero interest in diesel preservation and are very recent converts. As for Moyasta.......Jackie Whelan.....etc. :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'
Glaceon
Verified Username

Re: Irish Traction Group

Post by Glaceon »

True, maybe I'm being too harsh here. Better to have them preserved for potential future restoration or use than scrapped!