Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Railway Memories

All things commuting + bus and rail enthusiasts
Osciiboscii

Re: Railway Memories

Post by Osciiboscii »

:lol: . Are you writing the book? Be looking forward to that :D
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Another one from the family album. This dates from 1983 and shows the unloading of the very first DART units by the 100 ton crane on the North Wall, Dublin. There were only a couple of us there to witness this 'exciting' event and the Irish army were also in attendance but we never got to see what exciting military hardware they were expecting.

'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I recall aholiday outing to Killarney years ago. And we were on the train that was associated with Blennerville, but I cant remember what type it was . Train outings were great all the same. It was such a relaxxed method of travelling.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Put us down for a copy too :D
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

There's plenty of teasers for the book here: https://irishrailways.blogspot.com/ :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Ah yes, Blennerville. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:01 pm There's plenty of teasers for the book here: https://irishrailways.blogspot.com/ :mrgreen:
When is the book due?
Is it the title the same as propsed before?

Oddly enough efforts in Carrick have picked up recently. We have 2 new volunteers who have no connection to railways and they are doing great work.
If you are ever in the area with a bit of spare time and want a look let me know.
G601 will be restored. Need to get 226 finished first.

Got an engine for it from Ebay a few years ago.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Book title is the same but just getting the time and enthusiasm to pull it altogether is the the problem. I will definitely call into Carrick some day and renew my acquaintance with G601. Amazing what you can find on eBay! Keep the faith.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Another major blunder from my early years of misplaced enthusiasm which damaged my reputation and, more importantly, my Grandmother's bank balance. I published three issues before the intervention of the then CIE Chief Mechanical Engineer persuaded me to abandon the project. Thousands ended up in Ballyogan landfill and thankfully I don't even have file copies to remind me of my folly.
'no more blah blah blah'
Ronald Binge

Post by Ronald Binge »

Ha! I was one of Traveller’s Fare’s buyers and the elusive third issue is either in my or Crusty Burke’s archive, somewhere…
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Barnagh Station a lonely outpost on the former North Kerry railway line linking Limerick with Tralee c.1976.

A few hundred yards to the north, just out of sight, is the wet Barnagh tunnel which would have made a great location for a remake of Charles Dickens' "The Signalman" - a ghost story.

Little did I know when taking the photograph that I would get to travel on the line two or three times in the 1980's. Today the station has been restored as part of the Great Southern Trail greenway. http://www.southerntrail.net/
'no more blah blah blah'
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

The Signalman and all those Ghost Stories For Christmas instalments were excellent, really well done.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

I am a big fan of those BFI British Transport Films. Volume Seven is great as it has The Finishing Line and Old Sam The Signalman - which inspired The Advisory Circle's Lonely Signalman