Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

I like trains...

All things commuting + bus and rail enthusiasts
Del.Monte
Verified Username

I like trains...

Post by Del.Monte »

26 years since I last clapped eyes on A39. Doesn't time fly when you're having fun. It was the occasion of the Irish Traction Group 001 Class Farewell Tour and my only memory is of rarely leaving the bar on the circular tour of Ireland - after all it was only an A Class and hadn't I see plenty of them over the years. What I would give now to turn back the clock for another thrash. Today the loco is well looked after on the Downpatrick & Co.Down Railway https://www.downrail.co.uk and who knows, she may one day grace the mainline again?
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: I like trains...

Post by Del.Monte »

It appears that I'm not alone....

'no more blah blah blah'
NickNickleby
Verified Username

Post by NickNickleby »

But sure who DOESN'T love trains. Not being able to buy a real one, I have the remains of a Hornby Dublo set in the attic. In need of major tlc, it's older than me and that's saying something.

Mrs N and myself are keen hosts to Michael Portillo many evenings each week, along with his Bradshaw's. Nice man with exquisite sartorial taste. I have thought of buying the jacket, but Mrs N has her doubts.

I spent my childhood in England, just as the age of steam came to an end. So , sitting on an embankment watching a steam train go by was an almost daily pleasure. I'm also in still love with Jenny Agutter.

Post by 765489 »

NickNickleby wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:23 am Mrs N and myself are keen hosts to Michael Portillo many evenings each week, along with his Bradshaw's. Nice man with exquisite sartorial taste. I have thought of buying the jacket, but Mrs N has her doubts.
Don't forget the trousers. :D Great program, I'd love to follow the journey he took someday.

Also call in on CelticRambler to show him how to grow orange tomatoes properly :mrgreen:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:25 amAlso call in on CelticRambler to show him how to grow orange tomatoes properly :mrgreen:
Don't. :cry: Not this week. I made the decision over the weekend to rip out the last of my tomatoes after the blight made a rapid comeback. :cry:

But I like trains (or rather travel by train) too. Have just this minute being recommending to SonNo.2 that he considers getting a rail-and-sail ticket to Dublin instead of flying. Am also feeling a degree of empathy with the passengers on the de-railed Empire Builder service in the US, as my last Great Train Ride was a five-week Amtrak adventure. No, I didn't spend five whole weeks on the train, but about ten or fifteen nights and more days (using an Amtrak multi-trip pass). That was a sort of "anniversary" journey, to commemorate two months spent Inter-railing after I left university - back in the good ol' days when Inter-railing was a simple and unlimited experience.

On and off, I'm sort-of half planning a round-the-world rail trip, based primarily on around a trip on the Trans-Siberian Express. Not sure yet, though, whether it'd really be all that practical (or enjoyable) to force all the different geographical sectors into the one timetable.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

For Del - one from the archives. This is a full-colour :mrgreen: photo taken a few years ago when a functioning steam train pulled into the town of Saint-Valery-sur-Somme* - their version of the West Clare Railway.

*Valery was an Irishman - that town is one of our many European colonies! 8-)
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

NickNickleby wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:23 am But sure who DOESN'T love trains. Not being able to buy a real one, I have the remains of a Hornby Dublo set in the attic. In need of major tlc, it's older than me and that's saying something.

Mrs N and myself are keen hosts to Michael Portillo many evenings each week, along with his Bradshaw's. Nice man with exquisite sartorial taste. I have thought of buying the jacket, but Mrs N has her doubts.

I spent my childhood in England, just as the age of steam came to an end. So , sitting on an embankment watching a steam train go by was an almost daily pleasure. I'm also in still love with Jenny Agutter.

Ah yes, Jenny Agutter - my first love too. I even helped organise a trip to the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway in 1984 to try and find her but she wasn't there. We did visit most of the locations that appeared in the TV series and got to meet the late Bob Cryer (the train guard) who was still an active volunteer on the railway. You can just about make-out our society name on the board at Keighley and our chartered railbus waiting at the platform.
Last edited by Del.Monte on Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'no more blah blah blah'
NickNickleby
Verified Username

Post by NickNickleby »

Eldest often uses sail and rail from Bristol via Holyhead. For economic reasons as much as anything else. Sometimes he'll go Rosslare, so trains on BOTH sides of the Irish Sea. He does be like a mule when I pick him up. I'd wager he carries his own weight in luggage sometimes.

I've done quite a few foreign journeys on trains. My most memorable were Hiroshima to Tokyo on the Shinkansen. Breathtaking speed, but sadly you dont really feel it. And with much of the journey across plains, it's hard to get a reference point. Except when it whizzes through a station. With practice, I went from "wow, you can't even see the people in the station" to almost counting them. You just count the legs and divide by 2.
Then at the other end of the scale I was on a small wooden rickety train, in a very small Japanese town, the name of which escapes me right now, that seemed to go through people's back gardens. We were amazed looking at the kitchen windows as we passed by.

Post by 95438756 »

Not an Irish Production sadly

might acquire if I gain a few more shekels here and there
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

NickNickleby wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:50 pmMy most memorable were Hiroshima to Tokyo on the Shinkansen. Breathtaking speed, but sadly you dont really feel it. And with much of the journey across plains, it's hard to get a reference point.
Same on the TGV in France. It was something of an anti-climax when a rail-workers' strike here had the side-effect of putting me on one of the fastest TGV services (Strasbourg-Paris) but once we'd pulled out of the station, you'd hardly feel you were moving at all. Being on an Amtrak heaving and creaking along at 10kmh gave far more of an impression of movement! :lol:
NickNickleby
Verified Username

Post by NickNickleby »

When I win the lotto, I'll do a train journey across America. Not sure where, but I'll be singing my croaky version of Good Morning, America (or ist it The City of New Orleans??)., Arlo Guthrie. Have it on cassette tape, but the player is bunched.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

NickNickleby wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:24 pm When I win the lotto, I'll do a train journey across America.
You don't need to win the lotto, unless you want to travel in luxury. My ticket only cost $650-ish for a total of about 5000 miles travelled, probably more. Put me in a difficult position at pre-clearance in Dublin, coz the word on the web is not to engage the border control agents in conversation :) but when yerman asked me the purpose of my visit and I said "doing an Amtrak tour" he wanted to know all about it, and how much it was going to cost, and then started complaining that ordinary Americans couldn't get such good rates ... at which point I suppressed my natural desire to tell him that the passes are freely available to anyone who wants one! :?

Of course the getting to America isn't as cheap as it was, since Norwegian went down the pan.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

I LOVE trains. Roughly planning a US rail trip route, to include Fort Worth, next year. I still haven't got my Aer Lingus voucher back, which I applied for in Feb this year 😡.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Osciiboscii wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:25 pm I LOVE trains. Roughly planning a US rail trip route, to include Fort Worth, next year.
Feel free to pick my brain, if the rest of th'internet doesn't answer all your questions! :D

Oh, and for once, believe everything that's said about travel on Amtrak - "Leaves on the line" will be the least of your worries! Mind you, Percy French's "Are you right there Michael" would be as good a guide an any blogger. :lol:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

A bit short on technical discussion, but an interesting fusion of real-world and model railway functions:

Post by 490808 »

I know there are lots of Irish train videos but this one is dear to me.

You can walk it - Waterford Greenway
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I was lucky enough to travel between Waterford and Ballinacourty a number of times in the 1980s including an IRRS farewell special on the 24th July 1982 when the branch saw two passenger trains - the second being for the factory workers from Quigley Magnesite. The video below shows scenes on the farewell special and well worth a watch.

I also travelled on various permanent way trains and the annual weedkilling train on a couple of occasions; the two pics here were taken on a weedkilling visit in June 1986.

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

I can remember when they tore all the track up and one late night in the dark driving past a local farmer removing a massive load of sleepers from a parked up lorry :?

The bridge in the picture (the famous one that got blown up).... (another video with some info on that...)

was used for a time by a short lived adventure group that used to abseil off it on Sunday mornings (1999?).

I'm going to take a look sometime and see if the local museum has the pictures shown of the wrecked train in that video (approx 4 mins in).

Post by 95438756 »

^^^^any absailing done on the railway bridge on Waterford??

Did you also absail by any chance off the old Árd Rí in Waterford?

Post by 490808 »

No not me :(
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

CelticRambler wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:25 pm Feel free to pick my brain, if the rest of th'internet doesn't answer all your questions! :D

Oh, and for once, believe everything that's said about travel on Amtrak - "Leaves on the line" will be the least of your worries! Mind you, Percy French's "Are you right there Michael" would be as good a guide an any blogger. :lol:
I remember "Are you right there Michael" in national school 🤣. Anyway, great news - Aer Lingus produced the goods...finally. But....small print says it only covers the aer lingus leg 😠. So, I'm looking at flight to Chicago, and hop on the California Zephyr. Have you been on this? Any tips? Tripadvisor is good enough, but I wouldn't mind an Irish angle 🙂
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Indeed I have been on it, and would rate it as the best of the several different services I took. I was somewhat torn between opting for the full 51-hour Chicago-to-SF experience or breaking the journey to see some places on the way. In the end, I made three journeys out of it - Chicago-Denver; Denver-Salt Lake City, SLC-SF. In hindsight ... I'm still torn! I later went on to do LA-New Orleans in a single trip, so I got my looooong distance fun, but I felt the scenery, the passengers and the staff weren't as good as on the Zephyr.

I went for the ultimate budget option - no fancy accommodation, just a comfortable chair; and to an extent, I think this probably suits the "Irish" personality, as it keeps you in the thick of things, with endless opportunities to talk to Americans (and others, but especially Americans) who have never set foot on a train before! Chatting to the other passengers is great part of the attraction, and facilitated by communal spaces that lead naturally to conversations, e.g. the observation cars with huge windows, or being seated in the dining car with whoever's around to make up the numbers at the table.

I'll have a look tomorrow for some of the photos I took and put them up here.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Here ya go, Oscii:

From a landscape point of view, the first part of the route is pretty dull - miles and miles and miles and miles of flat monoculture farmland - but experiencing just how flat and monotonous it is, taking a full 24 hours to cross with someone else doing the driving, helps to put a lot of "middle America" in context.

This is also a good time to get chatting to people! Either in the dining car, seated 4-to-a-table (always, no empty spaces) or in the observation car:
Image Image

The old guy in the picture above was one half of a set of grandparents who were taking their grandson on a train trip specifically so that he'd know what it was like to take the train, as he might never set foot on one again!

... and as you can see, the observation car offers a way to view the landscape not provided by any of our European trains.

(These are first-come-first-served seats, all taken during the day, but mostly empty at night when the passengers with accommodation go to bed).

If time allows (and it usually does) it's worth getting off the train at the intermediate stops to visit the station, as most of them are "attractions" in themselves. Functionally, they're completely disproportionate to their use, as they'll only serve two trains a day (one in each direction) - but you can get a feel for how important the railways used to be back in the good ol' days. This is the station in Denver:

Once you get past Denver, the view changes quickly and quite dramatically as the train heads up and over the Rocky Mountains. There's one section where the only transport routes are by rail or by foot, so if you're inside looking out, you won't see any signs of human presence at all. This is the slowest section of the route, where the train crawls up the mountains, and IIRC there's one point on the Pacific side where it's bent back on itself at about 200° - but it's not this one!

If you know your trains, you'll see that this is a "triple header" - three locomotives at the front, all needed to get up the hills, but not always all up to the job. Breakdowns are very frequent, and if one goes, the others can't manage ... hence the "fluid" timetables.

Because they put all the locos at the front, it's possible to make your way to the back door and look directly behind the train in a way that you can't do with our European double-ended trains. This allows one to further understand why delays often happen - there's only one set of rails! If a goods train is trundling in the opposite direction, the passenger service has to pull in to a siding and wait for it to pass (and wait, and wait, and wait - the goods trains can be 200 cars long).

Because it gets the flatlands out of the way first, I think Chicago -> SF is a better direction to travel (rather than SF -> Chicago), though I also have a thing about "coming over the mountains and down to the sea" ! This does mean, however, that you arrive in/pass by Salt Lake City and that part of Utah in the night and don't get to see anything. Unless the train is several hours late, which it might be. :lol:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

This gem popped up on my FB feed this morning.

'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I'm on the train ... 8-)

Currently cruising through a fog-bound Alsace, destination Basel. Hoping to pick up some replacement strings for my dulcimer while I'm there.

Too good an offer to pass up: 6€ return for a trip to Switzerland, and it's a public holiday in France today, so why not? :mrgreen: