Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Trouble on the lines

All things commuting + bus and rail enthusiasts
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Trouble on the lines

Post by Del.Monte »

Anne Graham from the No Trains Authority says no need for transport police and Irish Rail have everything in hand. Another overpaid government employee who needs to be shown the door along with her dopey boss.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Dopey on RTE now saying that people should look out for each other and that will solve the problem.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:22 pm Anne Graham from the No Trains Authority says no need for transport police and Irish Rail have everything in hand. Another overpaid government employee who needs to be shown the door along with her dopey boss.
Gardaí against introduction of dedicated transport police, says Eamon Ryan
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:52 pm Dopey on RTE now saying that people should look out for each other and that will solve the problem.
i can just see how that would pan out. "Local man comes to the defence of young woman on train and fetches a scrote a couple of cuffs around the ear,.Gardai are called and local man is arrested and appears at District court charged with assault, causing actual bodily harm. Scrote has developed delayed onset whiplash, and is wearing a surgical collar. Judge says this sort of behaviour is becoming all too common and sentences local man to six month's imprisonment, suspended for six months on condition compensation is paid to scrote for injuries and trauma suffered, plus his costs and a contribution towards his private treatment for PTSD. Local man sells home to pay costs and moves his family into his car. Iarnrod Eireann says it doesn't comment on individual cases. Eamonn Ryan pedestrianises the M50 and says more people should use Public Transport"
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Not to mention that back in the day if you intervened the worst that would happen is that you might get a box from someone but you're as likely to be glassed or stabbed these days. Eamon is just so useless it defies description and as a Green supporter I really want him gone - on his bike!
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Pat Kenny show this morning: Pat says Eamon Ryan should consult other countries rather than the Gardai about setting up a transport police service - does it work for them etc. That would be far too innovative for Eamon and, anyway, beefing up security services is an anathema to lefties.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

If its not been already explained the problem with the Guards is they have too many different roles and do none of them very well.

A transport police don't have to worry about policing a riot, catching speeding cars or bank robbers (apart maybe from the Great Train Robbers).

One police force with one specific job sounds good to me.

Post by 316670 »

Worth a watch, the Unions basically put the blame on the free pass users who are scum, hard to disagree to be honest. Starts about 2:45 into the video
(obviously not all free past holders are scum, but you know who I'm talking about)

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0817/13161 ... transport/

So there we have it, Pontius 'Leo Varadkar' Pilate says the setting up of a transport police is a matter for the Gardai - you just couldn't make it up. What a feeble excuse he is for a politician and, of course, the Garda Commissioner says they have no plans for such a service.

Buck passing turned into an art form,
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I heard an ordinary Joe Soap on the radio the other day suggesting that there should be plain clothes Gardai put on trains, buses etc. on known troublesome routes; there's a novel idea that is beyond the powers that be to come up with. While they are at it, why not second some army personnel into a new unit and have them do something like this? Thinking outside to box, often spoken about but rarely if ever done.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

And this morning the NTA throw in their tuppence worth and support the current situation i.e. do nothing and muddle along until something really serious happens. Isn't it interesting how it is the public transport users and workers who are calling for a dedicated police unit while the overpaid suits (politicians, government appointees - Garda Commissioner, NTA etc.) i.e. those who wouldn't be seen dead on trains and buses are against doing anything.
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

I was in Dublin yesterday and on the way, I listened to a radio article on policing in Dublin City, particularly within walking distance of O'Connell St. Much weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth was heard about the proliferation of drug dealing and anti social behaviour in the area, the conversation went on to bemoan the fact that there is a shortage of Garda personnel to police the area.
Imagine my surprise then, when, on my way home, I encountered a Garda checkpoint on City Quay comprising of three Garda SUVs and seven Gardaí, checking, you guessed it, Motor Tax.
Now I'm a simple man, but even to my feeble brain, it would seem that a conscious and deliberate decision was made to send those seven men out to carry out that task and God knows there is a serious history of danger to life and limb from Motor Tax avoidance, but could the same attention not be given to real policing of the streets.