Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Trouble on the lines

All things commuting + bus and rail enthusiasts
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Trouble on the lines

Post by Del.Monte »

Bad, but not untypical day, on Irish Rail. Not only do we need a dedicated transport police force and proper sentencing of scrotes in the courts but CIE need to increase staffing on trains. Station staff are an endangered species and are needed to turn away potential troublemakers (drunks etc.) from boarding trains.

'no more blah blah blah'
Scotty

Re: Trouble on the lines

Post by Scotty »

What do you propose is 'proper sentencing'? Bearing in mind that most of these offenders would be <18.

I would say bypass the court altogether. If the Gardai have to bring your child home it's an auto €200 fine for the parents. If they want to dispute they are free to proceed to court where the min fine is, say, €600? Til never happen though.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I'm waiting for further news about the Claremorris incident today but I suspect that it wasn't teenagers. You have a point about fines though, but as you say will never happen. Boot camp or a couple of weeks remanded in custody - not in a holiday camp like Loughan House though.
'no more blah blah blah'
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:10 pm I'm waiting for further news about the Claremorris incident today...
Seems there was only one person involved? Perhaps a mental health issue rather than an anti social issue?

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Without knowing the details it's hard to comment further but a two hour delay due to one person seems excessive. Doesn't really fit in with IE's current Ad campaign trying to entice people back to 'Rediscover the Joy of the Train'.
'no more blah blah blah'
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

I got a train from Heuston to Waterford just before Covid. Never again!!! We had to get quite aggressive with a group to get up from our prebooked seats, the train was rammed (Friday afternoon) with people standing over you for most of the journey, no tea/coffee (I forget why), and by the time we got to Waterford my ass was numb the seats were that uncomfortable. A very unenjoyable experience.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Could be worse Scotty! You could be on the Tokyo train!!!! 8-)

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

No wonder Japanese rugby has been coming on in leaps and bounds!
'no more blah blah blah'
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

quodec wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:18 pm Could be worse Scotty! You could be on the Tokyo train!!!! 8-)

Jeez, you'd want to have a lot of faith in those doors!

Post by 765489 »

Feckin hell...I'll never complain about the Luas again.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Sorry Del for going off topic but here's some more train packing experiences. You wouldn't want to be claustrophobic, would you?

dawg

Post by dawg »

*** Thread segways to what happens in Japan

Great excuse put some links to favourite YT channel :D

If you dont like that then......on yer bike

Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Nuts. At about 2.50 in that clip the people in the right leaving the train actually get pushed back on by the incoming crowd.
quodec

Post by quodec »

... and finally, I am particularly impressed with the capacity of the 5.50 into Connolly. Yikes!!!

quodec

Post by quodec »

... anyway Del, what were we talking about.........?
dawg

Post by dawg »

quodec wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:47 pm ... anyway Del, what were we talking about.........?
How the commute is back to normal around here
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Thread got 'derailed'. Lol.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Newstalk this morning and Shane Coleman hopping up and down about this topic again in the light of a possible strike by members of the NBRU. Caller to the programme suggests putting two gardai on every train which Coleman dismisses out of hand while saying that we need a dedicated transport police - what on earth is he saying? We can't put two gardai on every train but setting up a transport police force will somehow magic away the problem?

Clearly we need a totally different approach in tackling the problem - a transport police force is long, long overdue but not burly men in black making the whole journey an unpleasant experience. Undercover police blending in with other passengers and ready to pounce as required - courts sitting 24/7 for train/tram and other scumbags to receive immediate justice.

Not enough resources - second members of the defence forces as part of their training or cut the defence forces and offer redeployment to the new police service. Irish Rail might also consider a proper level of manning at many of their trains and stations. Of course this would go against CIE policy for decades which has regarded their staff as a burden rather than an asset.

Anyway let's just leave it for Coleman to jump up and down aimlessly and talk through his bottom as per usual until another topic can be found to drum up controversy about it.
Last edited by Del.Monte on Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Is the Japanese rail system using different social distancing measures than we are :lol:
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

I don't know about a transport police 'force' as such but certainly a public transport 'squad' would be welcome. 15-20 gardai maybe, subsidised by the various companies.

But it's all pointless if it results in meaningless prosecutions.

Post by 95438756 »

Subsidied by who though

I see an argument where bus eireann sez 'Irish rail should pay most they have most antisocial etc.

Go ING down a rabbit hoke
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Scotty wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:29 am I don't know about a transport police 'force' as such but certainly a public transport 'squad' would be welcome. 15-20 gardai maybe, subsidised by the various companies.

But it's all pointless if it results in meaningless prosecutions.
Even if a 'transport squad' was set-up it would need to be innovative i.e. undercover not a meaningless occasional appearance by gardai in high viz vests. Those caught misbehaving need to receive bans from travelling by public transport for prolonged periods.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

The usual gobshytes will also challenge any charges by a squad.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:27 am Even if a 'transport squad' was set-up it would need to be innovative i.e. undercover not a meaningless occasional appearance by gardai in high viz vests. Those caught misbehaving need to receive bans from travelling by public transport for prolonged periods.
As in lifetime ban for a second offense. No point in setting up somethink like this, and pussyfooting around with meaningless deterrents.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

On RTE's lunchtime news Barry Kenny says nothing to see here and they are spending more on security and joint patrols with the Gardai. Would not be drawn on need for dedicated police force. So we can all calm down and rediscover the joy of the train.

'no more blah blah blah'