Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Summer migrants

Out and about in nature
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Summer migrants

Post by Del.Monte »

First sightings - by me - of Swallows and Martins today. Just a handful but it's a start and they have already been reported on the north coast.
'no more blah blah blah'

Re: Summer migrants

Post by 765489 »

Same here Del, seen first Swallows flying around the fields here yesterday. Great to see them back.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I had a couple of willy wagtails that are flitting around over the last week. I also notice some starlings have built a nest in the top boom of my cherry picker same as last year right in the hollow beam.
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

A Gannet flew into my fishing line today, they don't migrate do they?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Banshee Bones wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:35 pm A Gannet flew into my fishing line today, they don't migrate do they?
They don't migrate as such but spend the winter months at sea and only return to the islands to breed during the summer months.
'no more blah blah blah'
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:27 pm They don't migrate as such but spend the winter months at sea and only return to the islands to breed during the summer months.
Had fun watching them dive bomb further out from the shore, after he smacked my line he flew back over looking annoyed and perturbed, like he was trying to figure out what he hit :lol:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

One or more cuckoos has made himself/themselves at home in the nearby woods this last week. If it's only the one, he must be about as desperate as me to find a good woman: he's been cuckooing non-stop all day since about 9am.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Summer has officially started - in my books anyway - as I never feel it has happened until I hear and see the arrival of the first Swifts. Last to arrive back from Africa and first to leave. According to my diary entries - 3/5/2020; 15/5/2021 and today 9/5/2022.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildl ... a-z/swift/
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Is it just me and where I live, or has anybody else noticed a lot more Swallows, Martins and Swifts about this year?
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 765489 »

I seen one swift today for the first time this year. There's been a couple of buildings locally that have been "modernised" which has removed some of the nesting areas for the swallows. Have not seen many housemartins but might take a good ramble around tomorrow and get a better picture here.

Haven't heard a single native curlew this year. Again need to do a bit of rambling.

No migratory quail in the corn fields yet.

Post by 765489 »

Alot of swifts around the place yesterday evening. Great to see, no idea where they are nesting locally but seemed to be feeding on something up high in the air.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:27 pm First sightings - by me - of Swallows and Martins today. Just a handful but it's a start and they have already been reported on the north coast.
Saw a House martin today - a bit earlier than usual for me - but there are widespread reports of them as far away as the north coast. Alpine swifts still being mentioned on Facebook by people thinking they are our own summer migrants which are usually not here until the end of April/early May.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

I thought I saw a couple of Swallows yesterday. But I eyes had to be deceiving me. It seems far to early for them
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Happy Days wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:37 am I thought I saw a couple of Swallows yesterday. But I eyes had to be deceiving me. It seems far to early for them
Swallows can start arriving here from the middle of March, so I'd say your eyes weren't deceiving you at all.