Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

When you've got to intervene!

Out and about in nature
Del.Monte
Verified Username

When you've got to intervene!

Post by Del.Monte »

Broke one of my own rules today by intervening to protect 'my' pair of Blackbirds from the attentions of a Hooded Crow. I had to drive him off twice today but I fear the game is up now that he has the nest located. He's a well fed lad and more than able for the two hapless parent Blackbirds who do their best but it's a David vs Goliath struggle. Why the Hoodie can't feck off and stuff himself with chips or other detritus from the overflowing bins in town I don't know. Anyway, I've broken the rule now so he better watch out!
'no more blah blah blah'

Re: When you've got to intervene!

Post by 95438756 »

You're Big Daddy now.
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

Thats mad that the annoying one is the one wearing a hoody.

Post by 765489 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:24 pm Broke one of my own rules today by intervening to protect 'my' pair of Blackbirds from the attentions of a Hooded Crow. I had to drive him off twice today but I fear the game is up now that he has the nest located. He's a well fed lad and more than able for the two hapless parent Blackbirds who do their best but it's a David vs Goliath struggle. Why the Hoodie can't feck off and stuff himself with chips or other detritus from the overflowing bins in town I don't know. Anyway, I've broken the rule now so he better watch out!
If it was a sparrow hawk or other bop I wouldn't intervene. I regularly fire stones into hedges if I hear magpies being noisy in my hedgerows during nesting season.. :mrgreen:
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

I was doing the same with a poxy neighbourhood cat but he eventually got to the Robin's nest in my Bay tree 😭

Really miss the little guys following me around the garden waiting for upturned soil. I won't be responsible for what I do if I catch it 🤬
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

We had a similar situation between the birds and our cat. The birds were enjoying the tree and the feeder we had there. The cat spent AGES trying to catch them but the birds were well wise to the cat and enjoyed teasing him.

That worked well until one day last spring when he managed to catch a chick that was learning to fly and landed on the ground. Some dive bombing by the parents and me shouting made the cat drop the fledgling and the fledgling survived.

The problem was solved permanently a few months ago when the cat passed on.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

I've a soft spot for Hooded Crows. As a nipper in North County Dublin I used to pal around with the local sheep farmer. Every year he used to climb the trees to get at the Hooded Crows nests and destroy them but every year he'd keep one or two as 'pets' and rear them. He'd release them as adults but they'd always stay around the yard and remained tame.

We use to call them 'skaw' crows, a term I've never heard used anywhere else.